Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Elizabeth is Missing

(15 Posts)
Nandalot Mon 03-Aug-15 20:35:35

I really liked this book. I was amazed by how well it kept my attention considering that it went round in circles because of the main character's dementia. I didn't find it depressing, I was fascinated and thought it gave a good insight.

Ana Mon 03-Aug-15 20:28:42

I found it not so much depressing as 'not easy' to read. I think the way the author describes Maud's mental state is very skilful and you can't help rooting for her even though she's sometimes unaware of the inappropriateness of her actions.

One of those books that you will remember - if you manage to get through it, of course!

rosesarered Mon 03-Aug-15 20:22:29

A friend just told me about this book, she thought it was amazing, so think I will try it, in spite of any depressing content.Having said that, she seems to love depressing books and I have often read them or half read them and not liked them at all, so hmmmn, not sure now.

NfkDumpling Mon 03-Aug-15 19:24:16

I was recently lent this book by DDiL. She only managed a few chapters, but she beat me. I only managed to struggle to the end of the first one! It was just too near the knuckle. I think one of my biggest fears is slow dementia.

tinaf1 Mon 03-Aug-15 19:06:17

Agree with Suzied thought will I find it too depressing but really enjoyed it,gave me a insight to dementia

EllenMay Mon 25-May-15 09:21:17

A colleague had recommended this book to me and when I saw it on the Kindle Daily Deals, I snapped it up and was so glad that I did. I found it quite absorbing - yes, it was heartbreaking at times but it was also funny and warm and realistic. I found I could emphasise with both Elizabeth and her daughter and thought that the author dealt with their relationship very skilfully - I shall look out for further novels by Emma Healey.

suzied Mon 25-May-15 06:11:13

I thought I wasn't going to like it when I started it, but I kept reading, and though it was sad, I did enjoy it and it gave an insight into living with dementia. I thought the writing was excellent.

Ana Sun 24-May-15 23:16:41

Yes, the relationship with the daughter was so spot-on!

That bit where Maud was wondering why her daughter had a bruise/cut - just a one-off reference to the abuse she herself must have been causing but had no recollection of doing, of course...so sad.

Soutra Sun 24-May-15 23:00:07

I too was astonished at the maturity of the writing and how the author " got inside the head" of the old woman with dementia. Not entirely depressing though as (plot spoiler alert) she did have a point! I also felt great empathy with how the relationship between her and her daughter was salvaged. Thought provoking.

GrandmaKT Sun 24-May-15 23:00:05

I enjoyed it. I didn't find it depressing. It was written with humour and real empathy for the main character, who didn't feel sorry for herself, it was just matter-of-fact. An amazingly well written book I thought.

Leticia Sun 24-May-15 22:36:30

I thought it was very good- amazing that it was written by a young person. However it was depressing, but I often read depressing books!

Grannyknot Sun 24-May-15 21:32:09

I gave up on it, it didn't hold my attention...

loopylou Sun 24-May-15 19:19:12

I'm afraid I didn't finish reading this book. For some reason I found it so distressing it was really affecting me, and I don't have anyone with dementia in my close family so my reaction was unnerving to me.

Ana Sun 24-May-15 19:13:05

I thought it was amazingly well-written and the characters were wonderful.

Anyone who has had experience of caring for or about someone with dementia will recognise Maud's behaviour, and as the story is told from her perspective it did sometimes make for uncomfortable reading.

It was just rather sad that even though the mystery was eventually solved, along with another much older one, Maud couldn't recognise the part she'd played and remained as confused as ever.

apricot Sun 24-May-15 18:52:23

Just finished this after recommendation by a friend who is much younger than me.
This is the most depressing book I have ever read. It should come with a warning Not Suitable For Anyone Over 65. It's about someone with dementia and made me want to top myself now, while I can still remember how.