Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Fiction reviews

(115 Posts)
HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 12:43:08

As part of our preparations to get the mobile site up and running we are changing the way we do reviews to make sure they work just as well on a phone or tablet as they do on the desktop site.

This means discontinuing the old-style review pages and moving them onto the forums instead. We will also be losing the product reviews topic on the forums as we reckon it's far easier to find reviews for beauty products, say, under 'Style and beauty' or great hotels under 'Travel' than it is to trawl through reams of things that are not relevant to your search.

That bit coming soon - but for now we will be reposting all your reviews for fiction on this thread so that the info is still available to anyone who'd like to use it. Of course if you have others that you would like to rave/moan about do feel free to add here too.

Flin Mon 04-Sep-17 19:07:12

What If I Go? by Polly White Overall rating 10/10

(2017) A useful heads up novel for new students. This tells the tale of Grace who falls for the wrong guy! It is honest about what happens if young people get wrapped up with gangs.
It is not for the faint at heart but the savee. This is an empowering read. Great as a gift1

junesmith11 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:40:12

A senior moment "The Twilight Hour" by Nicci Gerrard still a brilliant book

junesmith11 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:16:25

The Twilight Hour by Aline Templeton. Such a lovely book the man who was listening to the story and
writing the book was decribed so well you felt you almost knew him by the end of the book

The Twilight Hour by Aline Templeton. Such a lovely book the man who was listening to the story and
writing the book was decribed so well you felt you almost knew him by the end of the book

bmacca Mon 01-Aug-16 19:45:28

Guilty Minds by Joseph Finder

I was initially drawn to this book as I'd previously enjoyed the author's writing although I havent read the ones in this series. I was definitely not disappointed. The story line is fairly typical of the genre however I think Joseph Finder manages to create such rounded and interesting characters that I was soon engrossed. There is an easy style to his writing but this results in great observations and draws you in to how the characters are thinking and feeling. The narrative manages to keep the suspense going and it made me want more Heller stories

bmacca Sat 11-Jun-16 11:49:01

All things cease to appear by Elizabeth Brundage

I wasn't quite sure what to expect as I hadn't read anything by this author before. At first I thought it was going to be just another murder mystery but quickly realised it was so much more. The author's writing is clear and the narrative style is addictive. I found the character building to be superb, not just the women in the story but also how George's character develops. The setting is vivid and the whole thing has a completely authentic feel to it. Definitely an absorbing read.

fanbrits Thu 05-May-16 17:49:06

my fav genre

bmacca Fri 08-Apr-16 13:09:55

The Midnight Watch by David Dyer

I liked the idea of this story about the Titanic tragedy and thought it was intriguing however I found the book quite difficult to get into and I'm disappointed that I didn't really enjoy it that much. All the other reviews I've seen appear to be very good so I accept that I am in a minority in not loving this book.

I have read several stories about the Titanic and have visited the port in Ireland where the ship left from which I found quite moving. I had not really known about other ships so found the idea of explaining what might have prevented the Californian from acting proved an interesting idea.

It is evident that David Dyer has done a lot of historical research into events and also how ships operate. I think maybe it was this aspect which I found quite boring and repetitive. I also think that Dyer kept repeating the same things about characters so for me they ended up as being one dimensional and I found it hard to care about their fate.

bumblebee Wed 16-Mar-16 02:32:52

The Trouble With Goats And Sheep by Joanna Cannon - BOOK REVIEW

What I expected at first to be a light whimsical read is instead a highly perceptive examination of everyday lives, laced with a ominously dark undertone. The story takes place in an almost idyllic suburban setting, set against the backdrop of a sweltering 1970's English summer. Mrs Creasy has disappeared and 10 year-old Grace and Tilly have taken it upon themselves to investigate. They find their street reveals secrets far deeper than the disappearance itself, but intrinsically tied to that singular event. As stated on the cover, this is "part whodunnit, part coming-of-age",

Exquisitely written, the sheer attention to detail transports us to the 1970's - 'Kays Catalogue', 'Angel Delight', 'Whimsies' and 'Brian Clough'. The story has well-developed characterisation, and is interspersed throughout with humour and a sense of irony. And by the end, we truly see what is meant by poetic justice. A pretty long book (453 pages of story) with an ambitious narrative, but one that clearly a lot of hard work has gone into to get right.

obag Fri 04-Mar-16 15:15:13

Watch the lady, Thanks for my copy of this great book, I don't usually read historical fiction but am really enjoying this and am getting an insight into british history,

starbird Tue 01-Mar-16 16:41:16

CROOKED HEART by Lissa Evans. At first I thought this was going to be a lightweight book, but it was real, and touching. Highly recommended. 10/10.

starbird Tue 01-Mar-16 16:38:45

A MAN CALLED OVE. Frederick Backman set in Sweden but could be UK, I was not sure if I was going to like it at first but it got better and better. A very human story. I laughed and I cried. 10/10.

starbird Tue 01-Mar-16 16:18:11

Sorry that review was meant for A Fine Balance - how do you add comments to a previous review?

starbird Tue 01-Mar-16 16:16:42

I loved this - sad, human, heartbreaking at times, a story of human resilience. Be grateful for what you have.

keriku Tue 09-Feb-16 21:12:58

THE CUCKOO WALL by LILLIAN KING
Usually when a book starts in a graveyard, you would expect it to be a murderous detective book, but this is a book about three generations of women from one Edinburgh family. Ten year old Minnie rattles between her mum's large, gloomy home and her gran's cosy flat, meeting all kinds of interesting characters along the way. The fourth character in this book, is Edinburgh itself. Lillian has a great gift for dialogue and leads us from Newington, to Royal Terrace, via Portobello and Princes Street, offering marvellous glimpses of her gran's eccentric friends and the Jenners Ladies who make a career from choosing hats and reading romantic magazines!
The book explores the secrets and lies that parents and grandparents hide from different generations. Despite some harrowing chapters, the book is infused with great humour, If you want to know the origins of the title, you will have to buy the book!

grandMattie Fri 05-Feb-16 13:55:30

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

THe story of a real woman, the last to have been executed in Iceland in 1829 or thereabouts.

The author spent some time in Iceland and kenw about Agnes Magnusdottir, who was executed for murdering her lover. It had passed into Icelandic folkelore, but the author could find very little else indeed about this woman. So she added loads of flesh to the bones of this unpromising story.

Although the tale is oneof woe, it gives the flavour and smells of the island in the mid 19th centuray, the poverty of the farmers and general population, the hold Denmark had as the colonial overlords, the universal [continuing to the present day] gossip about this and that, and belief in "urban myths". the prose is exccellent and the word pictures tangible.

We had it for our most recent book group and every last member said how glad she had been to read the book , although "enjoyed" was too strong a word to use.

bmacca Tue 02-Feb-16 15:07:24

Coffin Road by Peter May

I had not read a Peter May book for some time, and this book made me realise I've been missing out. The stories of a man washed ashore with no memory of who he is, an emotional and rebellious teenager and a police officer are intertwined to good effect. The characters are well formed, and the descriptions of the wild landscape and sea add to the story's suspense. The unfolding mystery at the heart of the story is very interesting and thought provoking. This is another example of Peter May's great writing and I'd recommend it

quizqueen Thu 28-Jan-16 10:25:03

Your Truly, 2095 by Brian Paone

Even if you're not that keen on Sci Fi this is a really easy and, at times, amusing read by a new author

quizqueen Thu 28-Jan-16 10:17:30

Your Truly, 2095 by Brian Paone

Even if you're not that keen on Sci Fi this is a really easy and, at times, amusing read by a new author

NanKate Tue 26-Jan-16 06:44:05

Thanks for the suggestion of the Diana Norman book I will check it out Grammargran.

Also thanks for the reminder of the up coming Rugby, we like that too. Oh and we have the Rio Olympics to look forward to as well.

I have a question for you. In many, many years to come when you are ready to shuffle off this mortal coil, will you be saying 'I wish I had found time to fit in more housework' or will you be saying 'I wish I had read more books' ? So next time you have the housework v the reading dilemma, it will make it much easier to make your decision. I have to admit I am quite tidy which detracts from the dust. grin

grammargran Mon 25-Jan-16 23:08:29

Yes, I do remember 'Life on Mars' NanKate, also 'Ashes to Ashes' - still on the same theme of slipping through holes in time. I've just remembered another author who wrote on that theme: Diana Norman (wife of Barry Norman, the film critic). Have you read her? Fitzempress' Law - I read it some years ago and very much enjoyed it. Glad you had a happy morning with the tennis. It's wall to wall rugby in our house. Having had a few months to recover from the World Cup, I'm now bracing myself for the Six Nations. Perhaps a quick flick round with the feather duster, followed by a few lunges with the vacuum cleaner - and that's the house sorted for the duration!

NanKate Mon 25-Jan-16 15:01:38

I am hoping the next series of Outlander will be on AP.

NanKate Mon 25-Jan-16 15:00:51

Well I have given you the morning free of me Grammargran but only because I have been perusing my other great love in life Tennis. Been watching the Australian Open and I have fitted in a visit to Keep Fit.

You may wonder when I fit in housework and other boring jobs. I wonder that too. grin

Finally yes Ripper Street is on Amazon Prime. Do you remember 'Life on Mars' just watched that series on AP, very good.

Over and out.

grammargran Mon 25-Jan-16 09:37:44

You're my sort of woman NanKate, and give sensible advice. Will the next series of Outlander be on Amazon Prime? Didn't they do Ripper Street when the BBC gave up on them? And now, no more from you, I need to wash up at least!