Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Can someone help me find the author

(16 Posts)
Faye Sun 16-Aug-15 22:25:39

I borrowed a book from the library years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't remember who wrote it and have since searched for the book. I asked the library if they keep a record of books borrowed but they don't.

Without giving the complete plot away :the story begins about two women during the blitz in London. Around a quarter into the book one of the women who is wealthy, married and who I think was also born in Australia and brought up in the UK, was visiting the other woman at her boarding house. The women knew each other and weren't friends, though one thinks they are. They were talking in the bedroom when the boarding house was bombed killing one of the women. The surviving woman immediately leaves London as she has an interview for a job in the country.

Can anyone help me find it?

Tegan Sun 16-Aug-15 22:55:15

Oh, that happened to me years ago [not the bombing and stuff]. Thankfully the book was War Horse and, because of the stage production I 'found' it again.

Faye Mon 17-Aug-15 11:30:00

I was hoping someone would know the author who I think is British. It was such a good story and I would have liked to have seen if she had written more books. sad

Stansgran Mon 17-Aug-15 11:44:11

Was it Mary Wesley?

rosesarered Mon 17-Aug-15 11:59:46

It sounds like Rosamund Pilcher, The Shell Seekers?

Faye Mon 17-Aug-15 12:54:37

Unfortunately neither Mary Wesley nor Rosamund Pilcher unless I have missed one while looking at the blurbs of their other novels. Thanks though.

Indinana Mon 17-Aug-15 22:13:13

Could it be a Monica Dickens novel?

Faye Mon 17-Aug-15 22:39:30

Thanks for the suggestion Indinana I can't find it among Monica Dickens' novels.

I would love to see this book made into a movie Tegan, it was such a good story.

rosequartz Mon 17-Aug-15 23:05:38

Janet Tanner writes books set in both the UK and Australia - could it be one of hers?

Faye Tue 18-Aug-15 05:43:16

Thanks rosequartz I checked Janet Tanner but nothing, then I was inspired to google a short description again of the story and this time there it was..... I found it. <<does a very happy dance>>

The author is Kate Morton and the book is The Secret Keeper.

Thank you for those who tried to help me find this book. It's such a great read and I highly recommend it.

Luckylegs9 Tue 18-Aug-15 06:42:57

I will try and get it today, need a good read.

Indinana Tue 18-Aug-15 08:11:53

Oh Kate Morton! I've read a couple of her books and she is an excellent author. I'll check this one out. Glad you found it smile

shysal Tue 18-Aug-15 09:08:17

Thanks for the recommendation, Faye. I have ordered a 1p used copy from Amazon (plus £2.80 P&P).

TerriBull Tue 18-Aug-15 09:58:57

I am another Kate Morton fan, I have read all her books and loved them, except one "The Distant Hours" which, in my opinion, wasn't up to her usual standard.

whitewave Tue 18-Aug-15 10:00:16

I am sure I have read this must look at my archived stuff on the kindle. Honestly my memory!!!! Getting a bit worrying.

Cosafina Fri 11-Sep-15 11:24:42

Thanks Faye - I got the book out of the library and thoroughly enjoyed it!