Gransnet forums

Books/book club

My Cousin Rachel - du Maurier

(3 Posts)
fluttERBY123 Tue 03-Nov-15 23:02:57

I am a terrible skimmer. I read the book up to the point where Rachel arrived, far enough to see that the implication was that she was going to charm Philip and poison him as well.

Flipped to the back few pages and saw about the bridge being constructed. She had an accident and died and Philip had set it up. It was not clear because i have not had the patience to read it properly whether she had been poisoning the pair of them or not.

So what did happen? Was he morose at the end with guilt for engineering her death or because he realised she had not actually poisoned anyone?

Eloethan Wed 04-Nov-15 00:17:07

It's years since I read it but from what I recall it is left to the reader to decide what had actually happened.

fluttERBY123 Wed 04-Nov-15 10:11:21

I think you are right. I had a feeling it might be that. A bit of a cop out by the author, I think. Having made it all fairly obvious she decided that in the end they would not find any incriminating letters. To have put all those obvious clues and then have happen what the reader was expecting would have been a bit of an anti-climax. Thn you start thinking - was it Philip that was paranoid? Still think it's a cop out. Unsatisfying. Thanks Eloethan.