Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Win £700 worth of the best books of 2015!

(706 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 10-Nov-15 10:26:09

Yes, it's that time of year again - and may we now present this year's round up of the best reads for the festive season.

Something for everyone - and a chance for one person to win every single book featured on the page...a prize haul worth OVER £700!!

So how to enter? Simple! Tell us about your favourite book...in 140 characters or less.

All qualifying entries will be popped into our giant Santa hat and a winner will be pulled out at midday on Tuesday 8 December...to give us plenty of time to get the HUGE box of goodies over to you before the festive season begins.

Icyalittle Wed 09-Dec-15 07:59:25

I can't believe I've won this! Thank you so much, I'm thrilled.

superscot Tue 08-Dec-15 22:58:24

Fabulous. l am medically retired since 1998 and l have read so many good books. My favourite is The Ghost of White Hart Lane about John White of Falkirk, Spurs and Scotland by Rob White and Julie Welch. It is the best book covering the life and times of the Scottish legend killed by a bolt of lightning in 1964 at 27 yrs. of age

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 08-Dec-15 15:16:57

Goodness. Slightly cross-eyed from counting...but we did indeed put all qualifying entries (140 characters or less, not including title) into our large Santa hat (see OP) and pulled out one lucky winner.

To Kill a Mockingbird has it all, courage, humour, humanity, a strong message against inequality of various guises, a book to get lost in was their entry...

Yes, icyalittle you will be the recipient of a very large box of books. You may need to give the postman a mince pie or two grin

Congratulations - an email heading your way shortly.

adele931 Tue 08-Dec-15 14:01:32

Game of Thrones....The books are utterly amazing smile

flossiecrossie Tue 08-Dec-15 12:33:34

I read David Gregory Roberts' Shantaram a couple of years ago and ws thoroughly engrossed for the 1000+ pages. Whilst it is a true story it is incredulous. It is uplifting in parts, tragic in others and overall an amazing story of an incredible man.

Veasta Tue 08-Dec-15 12:02:58

As a child I loved reading Wind In The Willows and the adventures of Mole, the water vole Ratty and Mr Toad. I cheered when the weasels were driven out of Toad Hall. As an adult I appreciate the book even more. Mole who decides to leave spring cleaning and ends up finding true friends. The loyal Ratty who is fearless in the protection of his friends. The class struggle between the animals. Good winning over bad. Even self opinionated Mr Toad ends up realising his own faults and makes restitution for the harm he has done.

nutunit Tue 08-Dec-15 11:58:43

My favourite is Jayne Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I studied it for my "O" levels & have loved it ever since. It shows Yorkshire in all its glory.

mysticwen Tue 08-Dec-15 11:56:54

the island by victoria hislop- real and emotional never has a book reached inside and moved me so much.characters you can see and feel a deep and moving story. what are you waiting for but in on your Christmas list

8mhigh Tue 08-Dec-15 11:46:55

Lifting The Latch by Sheila Stewart - really the memoirs of Mont Abbot, a humble yet heroic farm labourer, reveals the dramas in rural life

atmss123 Tue 08-Dec-15 11:40:57

Before I go to sleep by SJ Watson, had me gripped so much so I had to tear myself away to go to sleep! A wonderful read

GeorgeW Tue 08-Dec-15 11:33:13

I love Carrie's War by Nina Bawden. I first read it about 30 years ago but I keep revisiting it. It's a touching heart-warming story but awful in others. It's a real journey and definitely worth a read if you haven't had the pleasure. I believe it is aimed at the younger market but don't let that put you off!

discorpion Tue 08-Dec-15 11:30:43

The Book Thief by Markus Kusak. This book is for me what writing is about. You learn something, you feel something and it changes you.

cuddlebunny Tue 08-Dec-15 11:29:20

mine has to be the harry potter books, love them all, they all draw you into the story & can't put them down.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 08-Dec-15 11:16:22

Only 44 minutes left to enter!!!

Peppermintangel Tue 08-Dec-15 11:14:09

Cider House Rules by John Irving - moving, inspiring and thoughtful. "Good night you princes of Maine" smile

Jess9887 Tue 08-Dec-15 10:58:19

Anne Mcaffrey any of the Pern books. Pick stumbled across these books when I was recovering from an operation and a friend lent me them. I had had a total knee reconstruction and was in agony but these book were so good they allowed me to escape to Pern and I forgot about the pain. I read the whole series while I was recovering and still love rereading them now xx

maria08k Tue 08-Dec-15 10:28:37

Confessions Of A Shopaholic had me glued....i couldnt put it down. I shared every emotion with Rebecca and i really did get lost in this lighthearted book. Full of fun and humour too which never made me want to put it down.

walkingboot Tue 08-Dec-15 10:24:14

My favourite is Oliver Twist every since I read it as a child

pegasus1975 Tue 08-Dec-15 10:03:55

Mort by terry pratchett , the first book that actually made me laugh out loud i have read every book of his since smile

spidermonkey Tue 08-Dec-15 09:55:52

I have so many favourite books its so hard to choose but in recent years THE SHADOW OF THE WIND by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is one I find hard to forget.

tishist Tue 08-Dec-15 09:20:49

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry has such a sentimental meaning for me since my childhood.

moonlightlady2 Tue 08-Dec-15 09:08:45

My favourite book is The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton,i loved it as a child as all the characters come to life and they have magical adventures at the top of the tree in different lands.I read it to each of my 5 children and now i love reading to my 5 year old grandson who is loving it as much as the rest of us

Bineba Tue 08-Dec-15 08:49:07

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold
It has got it all: mystery, history, romance, science, magic.

karen54 Tue 08-Dec-15 08:41:53

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse,it's a tale that's set in France and dips from the past and present.It's a tale of love and reincarnation.Wonderful book.

saraharchibald Tue 08-Dec-15 08:38:14

Elizabeth is missing manages to make you feel as confused as the subject, an insight in to the life of those with alzheimers.