Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Strictly Ballroom: Tales from the Dancefloor - Diana Melly

(12 Posts)
henbane Sat 26-Dec-15 13:17:59

I received this book through the Gransnet giveaway. I applied for it because I was a fan of George Melly's singing and writing and was curious to read his wife's view. I read it in one sitting; it made me want to seek out her previous memoir (Take A Girl Like Me) as the snippets about her earlier life were fascinating.

This book is a lovely little memoir about dancing as a way of coping with grief. It is beautifully written, and made me both laugh and cry, corny as that sounds.

Deedaa Sat 26-Dec-15 21:14:04

I'm about halfway through it and loving it. Like henbane I really want to read Take a Girl Like Me too. I always loved George's singing and his books. I was lucky enough to go to a talk he gave on Picasso a few years before he died.

kyalami Sun 27-Dec-15 13:39:29

I received the book through the GransNet giveaway just before Christmas which was nice! At first appearance I don't think it would have been a book I would have purchased for myself but it was enjoyable & just the right length to read at one sitting. Witty & well written, sad in places but nice to know Diana Melly was able to fulfil her life after George's death & that of her children. Long may her chosen hobby continue to bring her joy!

cadizzy Sun 03-Jan-16 12:42:19

A very readable giveaway thank you. At first it was like reading about my mother who took up ballroom dancing after my father died 30 years ago. As therapy, it obviously still works as Diana Melly would testify. Her comments so echoed those I'd heard before it made fascinating reading and I connected with it immediately. Her life with George, though relevant, in no way dominates this delightful book. It's about so much more.

A quick and easy read but one that rings true from start to finish. Interesting people and events made more so by a lady with great observational skills and the ability to put them down on paper. I enjoyed it.

Anniebach Sun 03-Jan-16 17:58:50

They lived here

Ana Sun 03-Jan-16 18:02:37

Where?

Anniebach Sun 03-Jan-16 20:26:00

Wales

Ana Sun 03-Jan-16 20:28:32

Oh.

Greenfinch Sat 09-Jan-16 20:32:23

I enjoyed some of the book, namely the parts where the author was talking about her own family and when she described the cruise she went on but in the main I did not find it very interesting. It is not a book I would have chosen to read.

Sararose Thu 14-Jan-16 16:52:18

I received Strictly Ballroom just before Christmas.
I have seen George Melly in concert and was interested in reading about his life and especially his dementia as my own husband suffers from mild dementia following several strokes.

I thoroughly enjoyed the tales of the dancing lessons but was especially interested to read about Diana's cruise experience. I met my husband when he was a host on a small cruise ship. He danced with me every night and got into trouble with his boss for ignoring the other single ladies!! There were only two hosts and the other one was over 75 but a good dancer! Fortunately my partner was not turned off the boat and made to buy his passage home. The cruise firm went bust soon after so his career came to a quick end!
The book was easy to read and I think I will reread it again soon as it did indeed lift my spirits. In fact maybe we will both try dancing again before it is too late!

EllenMay Sat 30-Jan-16 09:38:40

Have only just got round to reading this due to a house move and, like others, I found it was an easy and enjoyable read. Optimistic, humorous and honest - just what was needed to boost the spirit and lighten dark January afternoons. Thank you, Gransnet, for this little gem and I am certainly going to seek out her memoir "Take a Girl Like Me".

Pamaga Fri 19-Feb-16 09:21:51

I read this in an evening. I hadn't realised the author was George Melly's widow. It is very light and fluffy and slightly amusing but not really my bag. I have a friend who is a mega fan of Strictly Come Dancing so will pass it on to her. I guess it does offer hope to some of us seniors that there can be life in the old gal yet!