Gransnet forums

Books/book club

audio books to recommend?

(11 Posts)
Cerasus Tue 12-Jan-16 09:46:34

I started listening to audio books during a long illness but have now a love of being read to. I think some books work better than others as audio books and don't want to give up reading books either. Some of my favourite listens have been through other listener recommendations and I wonder if there are others who would like to share their likes (and the ones they gave up on).

Ginny42 Tue 12-Jan-16 22:44:56

I drive long distances and that's when I listen to audio books. My all time favourite is, 'To Kill a Mockingbird', read by Cissie Spacek. I have listened to this story many times on my travels.

I recently enjoyed:
'The Lieutenant' by Kate Grenville and 'Talking Heads' by Alan Bennett

I gave up on the Alexander McCall Smith's No 1 detective books.

I hope you're fully recovered from your illness now. xx

daffydil Wed 13-Jan-16 08:37:53

The Uncommon Reader also by Alan Bennett.

Anne666 Sun 24-Jan-16 12:52:55

The Rosie Project made me laugh out loud while walking the dog.

lionpops Thu 28-Jan-16 06:50:16

I subscribe to Audible as find audio books are very expensive to buy individually. I generally listen to all the top crime writers but came across George RR Martin and his Fire and Ice series. I was just looking for audio books that lasted over twenty hours to listen to in a word cruises.I was hooked from the start.24 books for £104 ish is great value and you can listen to them again.

chelseababy Thu 28-Jan-16 06:56:43

I get audio books to download free from my library...this has reminded me I must soon download some for my holiday!

Felix2007 Thu 28-Jan-16 09:10:02

I absolutely loved the audio book of The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twang Eng, beautifully read by Anna Bentinck. Our local library had the CDs, about 10 of them. It was so good I listened to it twice, in the car on the hour long Journeys I do 3 times a week. Unfortunately I have recommended the book to friends who couldn't get into reading it, so I would recommend the audio version over the actual book.

Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling was also good, and the narrator sounded more 'Bryson' than Bryson himself! This was from Audible.

chloe1984 Thu 28-Jan-16 09:52:15

Behind the scenes at the museum by Kate Aitkinson has to be my favourite audio book followed closely by all the 'vet' series books by James Herriot

JackyB Thu 28-Jan-16 11:52:11

I haven't listened to an audio book for years, I have some Discworld novels read by Tony Robinson on cassette! They were fun - I have got a gadget that converts cassettes to mp3s, so perhaps I'll do that and have another listen.

Don't you find that you lose the plot in a complicated detective story? I need to be able to go back and check things up sometimes (which is where the Kindle comes in handy with its "search" function.

NanKate Thu 28-Jan-16 17:03:34

I can recommend for young teens the adventure books by Chris Bradford

Bodyguard Hostage (Winner of the Hampshire Book Award 2014)
Bodyguard Ransom
Bodyguard Ambush

You can get them through www.audible.co.uk

Excellent for long car journeys.

oliviablond Thu 04-Feb-16 13:09:31

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier