Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books for 9 year old DGS - help

(33 Posts)
kittylester Tue 23-Feb-16 11:48:00

I probably posted a similar thread last year but DGS always asks us for books for his birthday.

He is a very capable reader, currently reading Northern Lights and has the rest of that group waiting in the wings.

He likes 'Sets' of books to work his way through but I am at a loss to think of any. His parents have bought him Treasure Island and I was trying to think of any old books or authors in that sort of vein that he might like.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jalima Wed 24-Feb-16 21:18:40

I like Stickman and I'm 70.

It's very thought-provoking and could result in a lot of in-depth discussions. grin

Elrel Wed 24-Feb-16 15:32:16

Annodomini - the third book of the Hunger Games trilogy is one of the few books I've regretted reading. It left me despairing of the future of humanity!

Greyduster Wed 24-Feb-16 15:28:36

jings my GS still occasionally likes Aesop's fables and Just So stories at bedtime! Whatever works for them, say I.

Greyduster Wed 24-Feb-16 15:23:51

oznan, thank God it's not just me! smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 24-Feb-16 12:16:12

For a bedtime story one day last week, GS (age 10!) chose Stickman. Bless. smile

oznan Wed 24-Feb-16 10:04:01

Ha ha Greyduster,I recently put my washing in the bin and the rubbish in the washing machine!

annodomini Wed 24-Feb-16 09:46:39

My GS (now 10) likes 'chapter' books. When I asked him what kind of books he liked I wasn't prepared for the answer, 'apocalyptic'. I know he was reading the Hunger Games when he was 9, but they're not for all tastes. Not mine anyway!

Anya Wed 24-Feb-16 08:46:14

grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 24-Feb-16 08:42:55

Anya I think your GS and my DD are related!

And re Puffin comp - promise that if the opportunity comes up again we will leap at it!!

kittylester Tue 23-Feb-16 20:32:50

Wow, loads of suggestions, thank you all.

DGS has read Harry Potter, Beast Quest, Horrible Historues and the Science ones but I will certainly look at some of the others.

Jalima Tue 23-Feb-16 19:51:01

I can't stand Roald Dahl. But I'm not nine.^
grin
Neither is DGD, she's 7!
And she is a girl.

My Australian DGS loved these when he was 7, but some adults disapprove of them:

www.amazon.co.uk/13-Storey-Treehouse-Books/dp/1447279786/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456256988&sr=8-1&keywords=the+treehouse+books

NanKate Tue 23-Feb-16 19:34:22

For exciting and fast moving adventure books for both boys and girls I would recommend the two book series by the award winning author Chris Bradford - there are 8 in the Young Samurai series and 5 in the Bodyguard series.

Nelliemoser Tue 23-Feb-16 19:20:17

The Silver Sword. If its still in print.

www.amazon.co.uk/Goodnight-Mister-Tom-Puffin-Book/dp/0141354801

How about Biggles.

The Rosemary Sutlicliffe ones as well.
As Anya suggested.

We seem to have a lot of suggestions in common.
Probably our own favourites.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 23-Feb-16 18:50:41

I can't stand Roald Dahl. But I'm not nine.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 23-Feb-16 18:49:40

I read all those Rosemary Sutcliffe books a couple of years back. Loved them. Not sure I realised they were for children.

The Beast Quest books that Cari mentioned was a big hit with dgs2 when he was that age. His poor mother had to wade through book after book at bedtimes.

Greyduster Tue 23-Feb-16 18:03:13

I read the Eagle of the Ninth Series just before Christmas as I wanted to know whether it would be suitable for GS, who was then eight (he is not just nine). To be honest, and please feel free to disagree with me, I think it might be more suitable for older children. I didn't have any issues with the content, and it is a wonderful story - I thoroughly enjoyed it - but at that age I wondered whether the way in which it was written would hold his interest. He is an avid reader and has read all but one of the Harry Potter series, so he doesn't have a short attention span. Any opinions?

Jalima Tue 23-Feb-16 14:35:21

Anya I think those two titles are included in the Puffin Classics - Gransnet hint hint??

Jalima Tue 23-Feb-16 14:33:18

Would the Swallows and Amazons be too dated for him?
(Not for the Ruths of this world - pirates are always ruthless grin )

shysal Tue 23-Feb-16 14:32:03

The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan is great for boys. All my GSs have loved them.

Anya Tue 23-Feb-16 14:31:59

Yes, and the Wolves of Willoughby Chase and Tom's Midnight Garden.

Anya Tue 23-Feb-16 14:29:58

GS (9) loves horrible histories, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and anything no fiction about nature.

Jalima Tue 23-Feb-16 14:28:32

Puffin Classics (typo)

These are the ones:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle_of_the_Ninth

hildajenniJ Tue 23-Feb-16 14:27:45

I was going to suggest Harry Potter. My DS enjoyed the Famous Five books at about that age. What about the Wolves of Willoughby Chase? I believe there are more in the series.

Jalima Tue 23-Feb-16 14:25:17

I typed a whole post then tablet shut down and I lost it grrr

In short, David Walliams - DD has ordered them for DGS (nearly 8)
Gransnet ran a Puffin Children's Classucs competition a while ago with some great titles - perhaps they'll run another one wink ???

Someone I know wrote books about a boy called Jack Brenin set in Shropshire (Catherine Cooper)
I bought some from her but have yet to give them to DGS, they look very good
www.lovewriting.co.uk/book/2724/The-Golden-Acorn-The-Adventures-of-Jack-Brenin-book-1-by-Catherine-Cooper.html
(Hope that is not advertising)

DGD loves Roald Dahl books
Trying to remember who wrote those books about the Roman Legions, was it Rosemary someone? Sutcliffe? Are they for children?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 23-Feb-16 14:24:34

MY DD (almost 8) loves everything by David Walliams, plus Harry Potter and Horrible Histories. For her upcoming birthday (shhh) have bought her box sets of Horrible Histories and Horrible Science. All those popular with the 8yo boys in her class too.

She just read a Wimpy Kid book and loved that as well - and lots of the boys like those too.

Beast Quest also popular with her friends