Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The coop

(13 Posts)
granniefinn Tue 22-Mar-16 15:18:29

Has any one read the book The coop I have just finished it still can't make up my mind about it I am going to book club tonight to meet the author hoping to find out how she came to write it as it very strange was just wondering if any one else has read it and feels the same

Jane10 Tue 22-Mar-16 17:02:03

In what way was it strange? Its an interesting title. Sounds like you didn't enjoy it much though!

TriciaF Tue 22-Mar-16 17:48:02

Is that The Coop as in chicken coop, or The Coop as in cooperative?
Couldn't find it on Google.

granniefinn Tue 22-Mar-16 20:32:01

Have just got back from book club it was very interesting the author is called Rebecca Reid she is bringing it out on hard back and she is changing it slightly including the title when she asked what we thought about the book I said it left me asking more questions than answers

Jane10 Tue 22-Mar-16 20:54:59

So had it not been published before? Did you have a pre publication version to critique?

granniefinn Wed 23-Mar-16 08:10:15

I had down loaded it on my kindle we we're doing her second book thickets wood for are book club it is out in paper back when I read it I had to read the coop it is well written and I wanted to find out more about the characters in it and how the became how the they were but as I said the first book left me with more questions than answers she is a good writer you could get into it I told het I hope she does get it rewritten and I look forward to reading it's there were ment to be three books but I think she is going to and the this one into the other two

Alea Wed 23-Mar-16 09:39:48

I have had a look at the reviews on Amazon and think I will reserve judgement. Actually I never know what to make of the reviews- some criticising a book can make me suspect I might quite enjoy it, and others while extolling the "writing" are so badly written , littered with spelling or grammar mistakes, I think "Pot? Kettle?"
I loved Jane10's first book ( I am assuming it is your first?) but am becoming wary of the hype accompanying some first novels which do not live up to the blurb. An example would be "The Tea Planter's Wife" which I found trite, unconvincing and frankly tenuous. sunshine grumpy alert smile

Jane10 Wed 23-Mar-16 11:42:03

Reviews can certainly be confusing. Thank you Alea I remember the lovely things you said about my wee book a while ago. Your kind words kept me going through some dark discussions with the publisher who is not wanting me to do a sequel. I will PM you I think.
I was fortunate to receive some very good reviews both online and via emails and letters. The book is going into its third reprint in 3 months so I think that says something about how its been received. Sorry to hijack thread re" The Coop", it was the comments re reviews that got me thinking. I had 2 very odd reviews that made me think that the writer(s?) hadn't actually read the book. Wonder why they felt the need to write? What is a reviewer's agenda? So many questions!

Jane10 Wed 23-Mar-16 11:55:55

My previous post sounds as if I'm not doing book 2 - I am though! Phew.

granniefinn Wed 23-Mar-16 12:51:31

I think I must have missed your book Jane 10 what was it called so I can read it smile

Jane10 Wed 23-Mar-16 13:23:56

I don't want to advertise! There's a review thread called 'Our Best Attention'. Check that out. Its an easy read though. Just stories.

granniefinn Wed 23-Mar-16 21:07:22

Thanks I'll check it out

granniefinn Thu 24-Mar-16 09:10:56

Have go it looking forward to reading it will