Gransnet forums

Books/book club

May book club - A Good Catch by Fern Britton

(66 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Apr-16 13:06:26

The winners of this month's book - more HERE - should be receiving their copies very shortly. If you're one of the lucky ones, please leave your comments and questions for Fern on this thread before the end of May. Happy reading!

Denisehop Wed 11-May-16 10:16:11

I love Fern Britton's books. Always take one on holiday with me as they are what I call an easy read. I thought this one was a little different to her normal style but still very enjoyable. You got to know the characters well over the course of the book. I love Cornwall and I think Fern gets her descriptions just right.

appygran Wed 11-May-16 10:51:37

Thank you for my copy of this book. Like others I read it during a couple of afternoons sitting in the sunshine. It is definitely a holiday read. The one downside for me was the frequent mention of brand names, particularly clothes, did Fern have an advertising contract? if not she should have. Overall I enjoyed the book.

kittylester Wed 11-May-16 11:18:59

I didn't receive a copy of this from GN (didnt apply) but I have read it and really enjoyed it. I have enjoyed all the books of hers that I have read.

bookiemad15 Thu 12-May-16 10:38:47

Just finished it - enjoyed the characters and the location. Perfect holiday read or to dream about Cornwall.

Jaxie Thu 12-May-16 17:29:13

Thank you so much for my copy. You generally know from the first page if you have appetite for a novel, and this one definitely engenders narrative greed.

SuperGranJan Sat 14-May-16 11:44:57

Thrilled to receive the book and have had difficulty putting it down - I am about half way through at the moment. An easy read and one which will be good for others to take on holiday.

Grannyjacq1 Sat 14-May-16 13:39:25

A good read rather than great literature. Not the type of novel I would usually pick up - and I think that I would have given up after the first few chapters if I hadn't been reviewing it for Gransnet. But, to the novel's credit, I became hooked by the story line and enjoyed the second half far more - though didn't really like the ending. I thought the characters were two-dimensional unconvincing stereotypes - especially the two main females, whose 'size issues' Britton over-laboured. The plot was rather predictable. I don't think Britton successfully created the atmosphere of a Cornish fishing village or the surrounding landscape - in fact there seemed to be a lack of evocative descriptive detail altogether. Britton tended to 'tell' rather than 'show'. I seem to have been very critical, and I'm sure that this type of novel has its place - probably on holiday when you don't want to over-tax your mind and want something easy. I'll pass it on to my daughter, who, I am sure, will love it.

tiggers Sun 15-May-16 14:08:29

Enjoyed "A good catch". It was a good read (and an easy read), just what is called for when sitting outside on a sunny day.

I understood the main 'denouement' Fern but not why 'certain people' moved away (especially as Cornwall was 'in their blood'). Why did you feel their move to be so necessary?

KimNorton Tue 17-May-16 15:44:51

A wonderful surprise when this book arrived through the post the day before I was going on holiday. Perfect timing. Took it with me and really enjoyed it. A great holiday read, well constructed, good characterisation and a jolly good read. Would certainly recommend it. Would not have been a book I would probably have chosen to read before receiving it. I would have missed out on a good book. Have already lent it to a friend to read.

mumofmadboys Tue 17-May-16 16:47:54

Finished reading this yesterday. Again I was another one who sat out in the garden reading it.Definitely good holiday read. I also found the mentioning of names eg Armani a bit tedious. The ending was rather weak and not very believable. I can't imagine that Micky and Jesse would not have discussed how Grant died at the time. I was surprised Jesse took his own life . Despite the criticisms I enjoyed reading it and found it relaxing. Thanks GN for sending it to me.

gillyknits Tue 17-May-16 18:27:20

I really enjoyed this book. This was surprising as I haven't considered Fern's books before. I found the story line quite riveting and enjoyed the pace.Like some of the other readers, I too found the repeated references to the female character's size, rather annoying. Also Greer's product placements were a bit unnecessary. We knew she like expensive things and was very snobby towards her 'best' friend's choices.
I would recommend this book as a good holiday read as it was entertaining from first to last.

Teresainwirral Wed 18-May-16 16:36:26

Enjoyed reading the book but was waiting for a dramatic unveiling of the truth which never really happened even though I was early at the end of the book , then Jesse killed himself...really couldn't understand why? Felt like Fern had run out of paper!

chelseababy Wed 18-May-16 19:15:01

Enjoyable read. Wasn't convinced by the ending and felt the character's were a bit one dimensional. Great escapism though and I'm now going to read Fern's "The Holiday Home" which I bought some time ago in Poundland - a bargain!

changeznameza Fri 20-May-16 00:51:45

I was expecting a light, funny, romantic chick lit sort of style book, based on the cover and blurb, and maybe on what I know of the author, but this turned out to be quite a dark Cornish saga, following the main characters from childhood to middle age. Certainly gave me lots to think about. I liked the fact that Loveday was curvy and all the boys fancied her more than the skinny girl(s). (Can you tell I am on the curvy side!?) I'll definitely try out Fern's other books after this; this was the first one I'd read.

My questions for Fern would be:
1. Do you think Jesse did the right thing?
2. Did you always know what the ending would be - or perhaps you had alternate endings up your sleeve, but decided on this one?
3. And finally - from an aspiring novelist! - how long does it take you to write a novel, and any tips for actually getting one finished? (I am halfway through my first, and floundering...)

Thank you so much GN for the book!

patparti Fri 20-May-16 12:26:16

Thank you for my recent copy of 'A Good Catch'. I read it in a couple of days and on the whole enjoyed it. I agree with Craftycat about the constant references to the size of the female characters and I also thought the ending was something of a letdown. However it is certainly a good holiday read and I will be passing this on to friends.

Molly10 Sat 21-May-16 12:47:26

Thank you for my copy of "A Good Catch". I had not read any of Fern's books but I like Fern so was looking forward to reading it.
I wasn't sure what to expect and it was evident some way in that there was not going to be any great twists and turns to this novel. It was, however, a good wholesome read, well written. A skill in itself! I am looking forward to reading more of Fern's work including her Autobiography.
My question's for Fern, and I have limited these, are:
1/ Would you ever try to manipulate the lives of any of your children like the Behenna/Clovelly parents did?
2/ We were led to believe in many ways that Hal was Jesse's son. At the end you wrote that Hal was as tall and lanky as his Father. Was that the final nod to him being Mickey's son after all?
3/ Would you consider writing a sequel following Mickey and Loveday in New Zealand? Characters that I believe could be built on and could really come into themselves outside of the safety of their Cornish comfort blanket. (please feel free to message me)
4/ What would be your best tip to anyone new to writing in order to get their work published?
5/ Is Goose your daughter Winnie?

nonnanna Sat 21-May-16 14:53:13

Thank you for my copy of 'A Good Catch'. Great title! I've never read anything by Fern Britton before and it's not a book I would have chosen for myself.However, I thoroughly enjoyed it. As others have stated it 's a good holiday read. Not too taxing but enough to keep my interest and put me firmly in Cornwall. Well done Fern, I will try some of your other books now. Maybe a story set in New Zealand about Loveday and Mickey would go down well.

mbody Sat 21-May-16 15:02:50

Just read this book whilst on holiday in Crete - a perfect holiday read. Well constructed characters all believable and able to make you want to know what happens to them. I shall look for more books by Fern Britton.

granh1 Sun 22-May-16 18:38:24

Four friends grow up in a tiny Cornish fishing village. Greer is beautiful, slim and stylish and more interested in interior design than the sea. Her friend, Loveday, is homely and plump with no dress sense. Greer thinks no one would be attracted to her, but both boys, Jessie and Mickey are. Greer has been attracted to Jessie since she was a child and wants to marry him. Her parents, and his want the match to unite two fishing fleets and businesses.

Will Jessie be steamrolled into the marriage with Greer, or will he follow his heart. Love or money?

Add some-one into the equation that knows a secret that could threaten all four of them, and you have a compulsive read.

The descriptions of the Cornish coast are very good - did Fern live by the sea to absorb the seaside atmosphere?

JillMay Mon 23-May-16 11:01:26

This was not really my kind of book but it was a good holiday read. I found it a bit slow to get going and felt the ending was rather abrupt and a little contrived.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-May-16 17:14:33

Right - all those who won books but haven't posted yet (you know who you are!!) - please post questions or comments for Fern by close of play Thursday as that's when we will be send them over to her

Miriam Wed 25-May-16 14:07:30

A very enjoyable easy read - perfect for the holidays. Fern gave a real feeling of life in a Cornish village although not sure about the Cornish 'accent' Will certainly look out for her other novels.

GrannyGlyn Thu 26-May-16 07:12:06

I love books set in Cornwall and I enjoyed this book. A good book to pick up, read a bit and get back to the housework. I will be passing it on to my Mother-in-law who is going on holiday next week.

I have to say that Jesse's action at the end was unexpected and I didn't see it coming or could understand why he would do that. It seemed out of character. Or was Fern making the point that people can be battling demons on the inside whilst being seemingly strong and fine to other people?

oznan Thu 26-May-16 10:19:06

I have to admit that I did not really enjoy this book.I found the writing amateurish and the story seemed more like teenage fiction.Very "boy meets girl."
Yes,it was an easy read and the ending was somewhat surprising but the book was otherwise predictable.I found it hard to believe in the characters and especially the friendship between
Greer and Loveday,who did not seem to even like each other.Jesse's character was weak and unlikeable-a young man who just allowed life to happen to him.Where was his spark,his fight?
Sorry Fern but this was not my cup of tea at all.

GrandmaEvie Sun 29-May-16 19:26:26

A good read, perfect for a holiday. I found the characters interesting and liked the way Fern developed the relationships between them. The problems faced by the characters were well written and gave me food for thought. Looking forward to reading more of Fern's work. Thank you for introducing me to an author whose work I had not considered reading before.