Gransnet forums

Books/book club

May book club - A Good Catch by Fern Britton

(66 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Apr-16 13:06:26

The winners of this month's book - more HERE - should be receiving their copies very shortly. If you're one of the lucky ones, please leave your comments and questions for Fern on this thread before the end of May. Happy reading!

patparti Fri 20-May-16 12:26:16

Thank you for my recent copy of 'A Good Catch'. I read it in a couple of days and on the whole enjoyed it. I agree with Craftycat about the constant references to the size of the female characters and I also thought the ending was something of a letdown. However it is certainly a good holiday read and I will be passing this on to friends.

changeznameza Fri 20-May-16 00:51:45

I was expecting a light, funny, romantic chick lit sort of style book, based on the cover and blurb, and maybe on what I know of the author, but this turned out to be quite a dark Cornish saga, following the main characters from childhood to middle age. Certainly gave me lots to think about. I liked the fact that Loveday was curvy and all the boys fancied her more than the skinny girl(s). (Can you tell I am on the curvy side!?) I'll definitely try out Fern's other books after this; this was the first one I'd read.

My questions for Fern would be:
1. Do you think Jesse did the right thing?
2. Did you always know what the ending would be - or perhaps you had alternate endings up your sleeve, but decided on this one?
3. And finally - from an aspiring novelist! - how long does it take you to write a novel, and any tips for actually getting one finished? (I am halfway through my first, and floundering...)

Thank you so much GN for the book!

chelseababy Wed 18-May-16 19:15:01

Enjoyable read. Wasn't convinced by the ending and felt the character's were a bit one dimensional. Great escapism though and I'm now going to read Fern's "The Holiday Home" which I bought some time ago in Poundland - a bargain!

Teresainwirral Wed 18-May-16 16:36:26

Enjoyed reading the book but was waiting for a dramatic unveiling of the truth which never really happened even though I was early at the end of the book , then Jesse killed himself...really couldn't understand why? Felt like Fern had run out of paper!

gillyknits Tue 17-May-16 18:27:20

I really enjoyed this book. This was surprising as I haven't considered Fern's books before. I found the story line quite riveting and enjoyed the pace.Like some of the other readers, I too found the repeated references to the female character's size, rather annoying. Also Greer's product placements were a bit unnecessary. We knew she like expensive things and was very snobby towards her 'best' friend's choices.
I would recommend this book as a good holiday read as it was entertaining from first to last.

mumofmadboys Tue 17-May-16 16:47:54

Finished reading this yesterday. Again I was another one who sat out in the garden reading it.Definitely good holiday read. I also found the mentioning of names eg Armani a bit tedious. The ending was rather weak and not very believable. I can't imagine that Micky and Jesse would not have discussed how Grant died at the time. I was surprised Jesse took his own life . Despite the criticisms I enjoyed reading it and found it relaxing. Thanks GN for sending it to me.

KimNorton Tue 17-May-16 15:44:51

A wonderful surprise when this book arrived through the post the day before I was going on holiday. Perfect timing. Took it with me and really enjoyed it. A great holiday read, well constructed, good characterisation and a jolly good read. Would certainly recommend it. Would not have been a book I would probably have chosen to read before receiving it. I would have missed out on a good book. Have already lent it to a friend to read.

tiggers Sun 15-May-16 14:08:29

Enjoyed "A good catch". It was a good read (and an easy read), just what is called for when sitting outside on a sunny day.

I understood the main 'denouement' Fern but not why 'certain people' moved away (especially as Cornwall was 'in their blood'). Why did you feel their move to be so necessary?

Grannyjacq1 Sat 14-May-16 13:39:25

A good read rather than great literature. Not the type of novel I would usually pick up - and I think that I would have given up after the first few chapters if I hadn't been reviewing it for Gransnet. But, to the novel's credit, I became hooked by the story line and enjoyed the second half far more - though didn't really like the ending. I thought the characters were two-dimensional unconvincing stereotypes - especially the two main females, whose 'size issues' Britton over-laboured. The plot was rather predictable. I don't think Britton successfully created the atmosphere of a Cornish fishing village or the surrounding landscape - in fact there seemed to be a lack of evocative descriptive detail altogether. Britton tended to 'tell' rather than 'show'. I seem to have been very critical, and I'm sure that this type of novel has its place - probably on holiday when you don't want to over-tax your mind and want something easy. I'll pass it on to my daughter, who, I am sure, will love it.

SuperGranJan Sat 14-May-16 11:44:57

Thrilled to receive the book and have had difficulty putting it down - I am about half way through at the moment. An easy read and one which will be good for others to take on holiday.

Jaxie Thu 12-May-16 17:29:13

Thank you so much for my copy. You generally know from the first page if you have appetite for a novel, and this one definitely engenders narrative greed.

bookiemad15 Thu 12-May-16 10:38:47

Just finished it - enjoyed the characters and the location. Perfect holiday read or to dream about Cornwall.

kittylester Wed 11-May-16 11:18:59

I didn't receive a copy of this from GN (didnt apply) but I have read it and really enjoyed it. I have enjoyed all the books of hers that I have read.

appygran Wed 11-May-16 10:51:37

Thank you for my copy of this book. Like others I read it during a couple of afternoons sitting in the sunshine. It is definitely a holiday read. The one downside for me was the frequent mention of brand names, particularly clothes, did Fern have an advertising contract? if not she should have. Overall I enjoyed the book.

Denisehop Wed 11-May-16 10:16:11

I love Fern Britton's books. Always take one on holiday with me as they are what I call an easy read. I thought this one was a little different to her normal style but still very enjoyable. You got to know the characters well over the course of the book. I love Cornwall and I think Fern gets her descriptions just right.

Elizabeth180 Tue 10-May-16 18:44:03

I received the book a few days ago, for which many, many thanks. I'm just trying to finish another book before I start this one, but I'm really looking forward to reading it after the many positive comments from other Gransnetters.

Craftycat Sun 08-May-16 11:34:39

Stuck with leg in plaster I read this book very quickly too.
I liked the descriptions of Cornwall- a county I know well. I also thought the atmosphere of the place was captured well but I did find the characters somewhat one dimensional. I got fed up of being constantly reminded that Loveday was on the large side & Greer was slim as if that defined their characters.
I was very disappointed in the ending & also the total unreality of what happened with Grant & the final outcome- no spoilers! Are all the police force in Cornwall total idiots & have never heard of forensics?? I think not.
However on the whole it was an easy read & it was good for a couple of hot afternoons in the garden. A good beach book.
I usually tend to avoid celebrity authors but I like Fern Britton which is why I wanted to read this book & I think she did a good job.

Chichachongawonga Sat 07-May-16 11:51:41

I have not read one of her books before and was pleasantly surprised. Her descriptive talent transformed me instantly, I could hear the sea and smell the salty sea air every time I opened the book (the sun was always shining too but that was probably my own poetic licence smile). Lies, sex, secrets and romantic thoughts abound reflecting true life. I always wanted to know what the women were keeping quiet about and it interested me from start to finish. Excellent holiday reading.

cde58 Fri 06-May-16 18:58:21

Very pleased to receive my copy of the book the other day. I - like a previous poster - have sat in the sun for a few hours the last couple of days and read through the book. I didn't have high hopes but stayed with it to the end. I was a bit disappointed with the ending , which I think could have been worked on a bit more, but over all it was an easy enjoyable read - with some good local touches.

Pamaga Fri 06-May-16 08:29:01

I read this book in its entirety yesterday. Admittedly it was sunny and I was sitting outside for over two hours but I think I completed it in around four hours. I normally don't read this type of novel and suspected it would be one by a 'celeb' produced on the coat tails of their fame rather than for any literary merit. So, I was pleasantly surprised. OK, it was a tad predictable but I found the characters believable and the setting authentic. I was sufficiently hooked in to want to know the outcome.
Thank you so much, Gransnet, for introducing me to Fern the author: I may well read more of hers now!

granh1 Thu 05-May-16 15:44:42

My book arrived, thank you I will look forward to reading it.

sarah2000h Thu 05-May-16 10:16:19

Many thanks for the book. I am enjoying reading it. I was wondering if it was based on Fern's life?

changeznameza Wed 04-May-16 19:59:57

I meant "I love Fern" (not "love from Fern" - I am not, in fact, Fern) grin

changeznameza Wed 04-May-16 19:58:49

Thank you so much, my copy has arrived and I have already started it! Looks fab. I will post my question(s) soon and will keep an eye on this thread. Love Fern smile

tiggers Wed 04-May-16 19:02:32

Many thanks for my copy, which arrived in the post yesterday. Having read and enjoyed "The Holiday Home" by Fern, I am looking forward to reading "A Good Catch".