Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Audio Books Who is your favourite Narrator

(9 Posts)
chloe1984 Sun 08-May-16 10:06:07

I love Christopher Timothy reading the ' all creatures great and small' series

annodomini Sun 08-May-16 09:35:19

My GC have enjoyed Stephen Fry's reading of the Harry Potter books.

kittylester Sun 08-May-16 08:39:26

I was going to say that too Mildred - all our children loved those. I must start looking at audiobooks, I had forgotten how much I enjoy being read to.

Our Library stocks a few audiobooks and I think you can still download them on County Library websites.

Mildred Sat 07-May-16 21:32:54

Martin Jarvis reading Just William is very good too.

bartonlady Sat 07-May-16 18:37:38

Thank you for new ideas, will try them!

hildajenniJ Sat 07-May-16 12:07:32

Nigel Planer reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. Excellent.

d4dsquared Sat 07-May-16 12:04:37

Martin Jarvis reading 'Jeeves & Wooster' is my 'drift off to sleep' iPod track. I think he does all the different voices brilliantly. I also like Penelope Keith's Agatha Raison 'tapes'.

Mildred Fri 06-May-16 20:32:33

I like Penelope Keith, the Agatha Raison books, find I drift off to sleep quite easily with her voice. I have read the books and know the storyline. Bernard Cumberbatch reading the Rumpole of the Bailey. Also strangely Peter Coke reading Paul Temple I think it takes me back to my childhood when I was in bed and my parents were listening to it on the "wireless" not the radio in those days.

I have other books I listen to when I doing housework but might not have read them previously and I have to concentrate when I am listening to them. Usually have an audio book on when I am cleaning out cupboards or making the beds. But at night the narrator's voice is important in helping me get to sleep less so in the day.

bartonlady Fri 06-May-16 19:43:35

I love the written word but also adore being read to by some-one with a wonderful voice! I listen to audible books which I buy from Audible.com for a £7.99 subscription each month, plus they have lots of daily deals for £1.99-£2.99 which I buy too many of! When I started to buy these books to download to my iPod or Kindle a I chose by Title, but know I find I want a good narrator too! The narrator has to match the book! Timothy West reading ANY of Anthony Trollope's books, Juliet Stevenson, Bill Wallis reading Major Pettigrews Last Stand is sublime, Michael Kitchen reading Thomas Hardy, Hugh Fraser reading Agatha Christie, All the Miss Read books, Jenny Eclair, Kate Binchy, Richard Burton reading Under Milk Wood which I never finished in written form! I could go on and on! I slot my ipod into a small speaker and listen while I iron or cook......wonderful! If anyone does the same which narrator is your favourite??