Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Audio books (Amazon audible)

(11 Posts)
Armynanny Tue 06-Sep-16 13:08:32

I'm tempted to give Amazon's audible books a go. Has anyone else tried this? It's £7.99 a month which I understand only gives you 1 book per month so it seems a little expensive. Any thoughts on this?

Anniebach Tue 06-Sep-16 13:23:04

I have thought about it too but it is expensive for just one book. But buying them costs far more. I have some from the local library

Elegran Tue 06-Sep-16 13:50:38

Do you have a kindle? They have an option to have books read aloud to you (at least, mine does, I don't know about newer models), and Amazon Daily Deal books only cost a pound or two.

The voice that does the reading is a bit mechanical sounding, but I imagine you get used to it.

Mildred Tue 06-Sep-16 14:06:37

I use the library too with the Overdrive app.

rosesarered Tue 06-Sep-16 21:03:44

Use the library, they usually have a good selection.If you need cheering up, get Alan Bennett's 'The Clothes They Stood Up In' read by Alan Bennett. smile

PRINTMISS Wed 07-Sep-16 07:56:50

My husband uses the library for audio books, and enjoys the selection they have there. There is a charge, but cheaper than Amazon. Our library staff are super.

notnecessarilywiser Wed 07-Sep-16 09:01:21

I've subscribed to Audible for many years now (listen to them in the car when driving) and would suggest that you opt for long books to get your money' worth. Take notice of the reviews. Subscribe to their daily deals emails, because there are often bargains to be had. Other offers include buying more credits at a bargain price, two books for the price of one, and so on. If you find you've chosen something that's dreadful you can get your credit refunded - in all my years' membership I've only done this twice.

I tried library audiobooks (free) but the choice was poor (obviously a different library from roses !).

rosesarered Wed 07-Sep-16 09:28:24

grin yes, libraries do vary a lot.

Felix2007 Mon 12-Sep-16 18:04:17

I have used Audible for a few years, and find that my monthly credit comes around in no time, as I also read on my Kindle. I drive a couple of hours three times a week, so listen in the car on bluetooth or with a cable. But I do find it difficult to find a good book, so any recommendations would be welcome.

notnecessarilywiser Tue 13-Sep-16 09:53:45

Happy to post some Audible recommendations if your reading taste coincides with mine, Felix - what sort of thing do you enjoy?

adnilc Thu 24-Nov-16 10:13:31

Join amazon prime, lots of audio books to borrow for free after your initial joining fee, plus other benefits of free delivery on lots of Amazon products, music, film and tv programs. I'm a recent member and have got the cost of the joining fee back already.