Gransnet forums

Books/book club

October book club

(101 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 28-Sep-16 16:00:24

Our October book is The Secret Diary of Hendrick Groen, 83 1/4 Years Old (read more about it HERE

Winners should be receiving their copies in the next few days. Don't forget that if you do get one you will need to add your thoughts and reviews* (marking any spoilers clearly) on this thread by the end of October.

*No questions this month...you'll see why in this from Publishers Weekly

"In the media there has been a lot of speculation about who Hendrik Groen could be. Is he an actual octogenarian? Is he a famous Dutch writer? A well-known Dutch stand-up comedian? He remains anonymous, and the only thing that his publisher has revealed is that he is currently writing another diary."

Purpledaffodil Thu 20-Oct-16 14:31:26

Can uncross my fingers, my copy arrived this am. Thanks CariGransnet for chasing up the publishers. flowers to you.

Maggiemaybe Thu 20-Oct-16 14:54:59

Thank you, my copy arrived today smile As Adrian Mole's biggest fan, I just know I'm going to love this book!

GeminiJen Thu 20-Oct-16 15:01:41

Thanks, GransNet smile
My copy arrived today too.
I won't actually get around to reading it until after Hallowe'en now....My grandsons will be with me until then, for the half term hols...so I'm hoping for a bit more time at the beginning of November to read and respond.

matson Thu 20-Oct-16 15:02:20

Thank you for my copy also, starting it now !

Catmanic Thu 20-Oct-16 15:40:11

Received my book today thank you. Looking forward to reading it as it looks very amusing.

mumofmadboys Thu 20-Oct-16 17:21:12

I received one today! Thank you very much.My husband has started reading it! I'll claim it back soon and get reading!!

grandMattie Thu 20-Oct-16 17:28:08

Just received the book. Looking forward to reading and reviewing it.

gillybob Thu 20-Oct-16 17:45:55

What a lovely suprise to find this book lying on the mat when I got home this evening. Looking forward to reading it and commenting. Well that's if I get a minute to call my own next week. I'm on half term duty and have the three DGC staying.

eGJ Thu 20-Oct-16 18:19:38

Thank you for my copy; had to wait in a hospital so entertained myself with The Secret Diary of Hendrick Groen. Comedy and pathos in equal measure. A good read, but not sure I want to be 83 1/4 for a bit! A wonderful description of his fellows and a reassurance that supportive fellow residents make life better is really what makes this a worthwhile read. (as you can see it was a VERY long wait!!) grin

Greenfinch Thu 20-Oct-16 18:39:49

Thank you for my copy. I have just started reading "Wake" by Anna Hope so will have to decide on my priorities.

Adrienne Thu 20-Oct-16 20:02:19

Thank you, Gransnet, for my copy of the book. It has been recommended by a friend and the first two pages made me smile. I will have to finish a rather sombre book club title but then I am really looking forward to reading this.

cornergran Thu 20-Oct-16 20:20:23

Thank you, copy arrived today. Will get to it when the current read is finished smile.

inishowen Fri 21-Oct-16 10:40:01

I received my book yesterday. I hope to start it at the weekend when I've finished my present book. I know my older brother will like this book so when I've done with it I will pass it on.

weather Fri 21-Oct-16 11:52:34

Just received my free copy yesterday....Had a quick look and I am sure to like it as its so funny. This is just what I need as I am going into hospital soon the day after I have arranged my mum's funeral for, so I will take it with me to read..It should really help to take my mind off of all thats going on around me.Thankyou so much..I will get back when I have read it

annsixty Fri 21-Oct-16 11:57:10

So thrilled when the postman brought this book to the door this morning. It is the first time I have received one, thank you GN.

gillyknits Fri 21-Oct-16 13:18:57

Thank you so much for my copy. I shall start it straight away as I have just finished another novel.

halfgran Fri 21-Oct-16 17:28:36

Thank you, picked my copy up from the post office today. Looking forward to reading it aa is my sister to having it passed on.

rocketstop Fri 21-Oct-16 18:06:59

Thank you for my book which came yesterday, I look forward to reading it and reporting back !

cde58 Sat 22-Oct-16 22:26:57

Hi - thanks Gransnet - received my copy of the book on Thursday - good timing as I'd just finished a book and needed a new one. Have read a few chapters and am enjoying it so far. Like the fact that he's still managing to be rebellious at that age - I'm sure I'm not going to abandon that trait any time soon!

cazthebookworm Sat 22-Oct-16 22:36:54

Thank you so much for the latest book which I received on Thursday. Had a quick scan through and read the summary and it sound as though it could be fun. Nice to have something a bit lighthearted. I will post my review as soon as possible smile

Swanny Sun 23-Oct-16 20:59:19

Thanks for my copy which arrived last week. My son often has items he's purchased online delivered to my address as he's at work. This package I thought was one of his as it's the first time I've received a book. Imagine my surprise when he gave it back to me today! I'm looking forward to reading it but, like GeminiJen, I shall have DGS for half term this coming week, so I may be a little late in posting my review.

flump Mon 24-Oct-16 12:41:46

Just got back from holiday to find the book had arrived. I'm looking forward to reading it and will get back to you. Thanks.

Worlass Mon 24-Oct-16 19:40:24

Thank you so much for my copy of 'The Secret Diary of Hendrix Groen.....' and apologies for not acknowledging receipt earlier. I have been away for a few days and no WIFI available. Happily, this gave me even more time to enjoy my reading.
From the first chapter, I was totally hooked. Without giving too much away, the book manages to be amusing, thought-provoking and challenging in equal measure. Dealing with the issues which affect later life, Hendrik and his co-conspirators are examples of how I would like to be at age 80 odd. My emotions went through the spectrum from hilarity to sadness. Although Hendrik remains anonymous, I stake my claim as a Number One Fan.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 25-Oct-16 11:27:11

Ah, that's great to hear Worlass

philatel Tue 25-Oct-16 13:12:25

Have only just received my copy today - will try and start reading as soon as I can!!!