Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Poetry Day on 6/10/16

(4 Posts)
Elrel Fri 07-Oct-16 10:09:30

Did anyone else mark this day in any way or enjoy poetry on the radio?
At lunch time in a small cafe a dozen of us read poems of our choice for an hour. We do this each week, the size of the group, the people who come and the poetry we share all varies from week to week.
In the evening I heard impressive poets at Birmingham Literature Festival. The outgoing and incoming Poets Laureate shared their work first. Then a former PL, Roy McFarlane, and Jean 'Binta' Breeze read their own work. Both were remarkable for their honesty, genuine emotion, and sharing of common experience. An unforgettable evening.

trisher Fri 07-Oct-16 10:28:55

Wish I could have done something I had the GS aged 22 months so it was mostly "Row, row row your boat" etc. Hopefully it will spark something off with him.
Loved the fact that Prince Charles read Seamus Heaney- www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37565253

yggdrasil Fri 07-Oct-16 13:28:01

I read these from Michael Rosen
michaelrosenblog.blogspot.co.uk/

And a wonderful poem from Attila the Stockbroker on the Aberfan diasaster. I hadn't realised that was 50 years ago, though I could if I had thought of it. I had just started working for the NCB, and some of the young men at the place I worked went to try to make things safe. A bit late though :-(

hildajenniJ Fri 07-Oct-16 17:28:55

We don't have a newspaper, and I rarely watch breakfast TV or the news, so I totally forgot about it. I enjoy poetry though, and can recite loads from memory.