Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Thrillers and Crime novels

(28 Posts)
NanKate Sat 29-Oct-16 08:01:44

I saw James Naughtie interview Lynda La Plante yesterday and feel tempted to buy her latest book about the police woman Jane Tennyson. This book starts from Jane's early days in the police force. I watched all the Prime Suspect series on the TV and found them riveting.

Can any one recommend LLP's books or any other author of this type of novel ?

Waveney Thu 03-Nov-16 23:19:31

I have just read Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz and would highly recommend it. Possibly still a bit early, but Mistetoe Murders is a selection of short stories by P D James and is a good read.

Morgana Thu 03-Nov-16 20:13:23

I enjoy Sophie Hannah. And now into M c Beaton.

annifrance Thu 03-Nov-16 06:39:42

Peter James' Roy Grace detective series, set in Brighton. Stella Remington. Linward Barclay. Michael Dibdin. CJ Samson.

I'm just about too reread Agatha Christie as our book group are going to read any one of hers to see if they still 'stand up'.

Jayh Mon 31-Oct-16 00:53:10

Thanks, grannyp I like to try new authors.

Eloethan Sun 30-Oct-16 18:12:25

I think that, invariably, reading a book is much more satisfying and gripping than seeing a TV drama or film.

I haven't read Ann Cleeve's books so I take the TV productions of Shetland and Vera at face value and find them very good so I imagine the books must be even better.

Mildred Sun 30-Oct-16 17:33:34

Agree Grannynise

Grannynise Sun 30-Oct-16 16:40:54

Ann Cleeve - better on the page than on the television I think.

grannypiper Sun 30-Oct-16 06:48:53

jayh, your book list is a copy of mine ! try Stephen booth, not tartan but a great story teller. Add Aline Templeton to your list and you will want to vist the Rhinns of Gallowy.

grannypiper Sun 30-Oct-16 06:45:02

Stuart Macbride is very good, best read in order though as it follows his life. Aline Templeton is also very good, her books are set in rural Galloway and are a less gory read.

callgirl1 Sat 29-Oct-16 23:56:47

I liked Bella Mafia by Lynda la Plante, but they made a mess of the film.
I like lots of thriller writers, but have recently discovered Graham Masterton`s Katie Maguire books, really good, but need to be read in order from the beginning, the first one is White Bones.

Envious Sat 29-Oct-16 23:07:20

Vendetta Stone by Tom Wood

Jayh Sat 29-Oct-16 18:51:02

Lin Anderson
Craig Robertson
James Oswald
Denise Mina
Stewart Macbride

If you like a bit of Tartan Noir these authors are worth a try.

Alima Sat 29-Oct-16 18:36:56

If I Should Die.
Between the Crosses
Both by Matthew Frank. Crime novels set in South London. Annodomini recently recommended them on a different thread. Really very good, well written with great characterisation. Cannot wait for the next one. Thank you Anno!

Grannyknot Sat 29-Oct-16 18:15:00

Peter May - The Black House and the others in that trilogy.

Deon Meyer (South African author, his books are set in Cape Town).

Badenkate Sat 29-Oct-16 17:42:10

I've started a list, so if anyone has any more good suggestions I'd be very grateful smile

ninathenana Sat 29-Oct-16 17:29:24

Christine H is currently reading 'The Twenty Three' by Linwood Barclay

Mildred Sat 29-Oct-16 16:48:10

JK Rowling as Robert Galbraith also good about to appear on BBC and Alex Gray set in Glasgow.

NanKate Sat 29-Oct-16 16:44:11

Reichs

NanKate Sat 29-Oct-16 16:43:47

Thanks ALL I think your recommendations should keep me going for quite a while. smile.

I too like Kathy Reich.

Eloethan Sat 29-Oct-16 16:40:03

I enjoyed Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent, Innocent and The Burden of Proof. (Not so keen on his other books). I think Ruth Rendell's A Dark Adapted eye is one of her best.

Christinefrance Sat 29-Oct-16 12:40:27

Alex Kava, Linwood Barclay, Elizabeth George, Val McDermid, Mo Hayder all good authors of this genre.

Charleygirl Sat 29-Oct-16 10:59:38

Another massive fan of Michael Connolly and I love Quintine Jardine books but to appreciate them they have to be read in order.

annsixty Sat 29-Oct-16 09:12:08

Huge fan here of crime and detection fiction and Michael C0nnolly is a firm favourite. Your H and I are kindred spirits nina as I have also read most of Kathy Reichs though not so keen on the ones she wrote about her fictional niece. Harlen Coben is another favourite but I have many which I will post when I get my brain into gear.

ninathenana Sat 29-Oct-16 09:03:39

H loves Kathy Reichs and Michael Connolly

Greyduster Sat 29-Oct-16 08:52:01

DH is a big fan of Lynda La Plante. He's currently reading "Tennison", and doesn't seem to be able to put it down. He says the Anna Travis books are good.