Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The English Agent

(22 Posts)
gillyknits Wed 29-Mar-17 11:03:56

Thank you so much for my prize copy that arrived today. I am really looking forward to reading it and will review it later.

mumofmadboys Wed 29-Mar-17 13:35:39

I received a copy too. Thank you very much GN.

whitewave Wed 29-Mar-17 17:17:21

Thank you - arrived today. When have I got to read it by? Have a couple on the go at the moment, but will put them by if necessary.

MawBroon Wed 29-Mar-17 17:20:23

Thank you. My copy arrived today too.
I enjoyed Clare Harvey's "Gunner Girl" so was delighted to learn of her latest book.

merlotgran Wed 29-Mar-17 17:20:55

My copy also arrived today, Thank You.

Looks like a good bedtime read.

Greenfinch Wed 29-Mar-17 19:22:26

Mine arrived too,thanks.I am looking forward to reading it.

cornergran Wed 29-Mar-17 20:05:43

Mine was here when I returned home this evening. Many thanks. Hoping to make a start soon.

harrigran Thu 30-Mar-17 10:56:18

Many thanks for my copy of The English Agent, looking forward to reading it.

Luckygirl Thu 30-Mar-17 11:51:48

Yep - just got mine too. Thanks. Hubby has grabbed it - I have said he can review it!

Rinouchka Thu 30-Mar-17 19:39:11

Returned home to find mine waiting for me. Thank you. I shall start it this weekend.

Nanalou Mon 03-Apr-17 11:59:31

Thank you for my copy of The English Agent, this is an enjoyable read even though it did take a little time to really get into the book. I do think that's because the book does change between characters. Don't know whether you would class the book as a historical fiction or a romance, as some of the story line did seem a little far fetched.
Having said that I do think I would like to read the first story Gunner Girl, and hope the author writes another in the series.

cornergran Wed 05-Apr-17 19:30:09

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked the style and hearing the voices of the different characters. I too will be seeking out Gunner Girl. An easy read, absorbing while leaving questions which the reader can decide for themselves . Thank you again GN.

craftygran Sun 09-Apr-17 09:51:32

Really enjoyed this book, not my usual type of read but always good to try something different. I found it really easy to get into and liked that the different characters were named when the story went to them

Rinouchka Mon 10-Apr-17 09:01:02

This book deals with a topic and period very close to my heart both personally and intellectually. I approached it with some trepidation. However, I was not disappointed by the research , use of detail and quality of the writing. Clare Harvey brings the SOE alive through her wonderfully dynamic descriptions and her colourful, vivid portraits of characters both fictional and historical. The story and characters certainly grip the reader.

However, I found the ending an accumulation of unlikely coincidences and the historian of the period in me was disappointed, but the woman was not.

I include some images of my own personal connection to SOE via a young 26year old woman, Madeleine Damerment, SOE agent and aunt of a dear friend, killed at Dachau with three other SOE female agents, after having been betrayed. She is now also commemorated, with others, on a plaque at St. Paul's Church, Knightsbridge.

gillyknits Wed 12-Apr-17 14:18:37

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, once I had got used to the constant switching of the narrative between characters. It seemed well researched and depicted the period very well. The ending was really exciting and I ended up staying awake for a long time to finish it!!

mumofmadboys Wed 19-Apr-17 08:14:10

I also enjoyed this novel very much and it isn't the sort of book I would normally pick off the book shelf.The characters were well depicted and I felt very involved in the story and was sad to finish it. Thanks GN for giving me the chance to read it.

Luckygirl Thu 20-Apr-17 11:51:44

Review by Luckyboy!!

A novel starring all the usual suspects set in the world of the Special Operations Executive during the second world war. The main English protagonists are women, each with a love interest. The problems in the main stem from a mole/double agent active in London SOE HQ, his identity being fairly obvious to the reader, and to most of the staff.

In the main the characters are somewhat formulaic, the men having been less than honest about their status. Multiple betrayals litter the plot and there was an unusual twist involving a senior German officer. The book itself appeared well researched and written, and presents the phenomenal courage required to operate under cover in Nazi Germany. It is middle of the road, inoffensive and easily-imagined story; and fulfills the requirements of a holiday read or as an introduction to a little known aspect of warfare in our recent past.

merlotgran Thu 20-Apr-17 12:42:05

I really enjoyed this book once I got used to the frequent changes in characters, timescale and setting. Each main character having secrets from the past led to a build up of tension which is essential in a 'page-turner.'

The courage of resistance workers and agents was well depicted. This is the first time I've seen them referred to as terrorists in a book about WW2 but that's probably down to our changing times.

Claire, Do you have any plans to steer away from the WW2 genre in future novels?

granofive Sun 23-Apr-17 22:21:16

An interesting read, I enjoy stories from this period and the achievements of the brave young SOE are amazing. I did find some of the story lines slightly unbelievable, especially the unwillingness of London to understand what their operative was endeavouring to tell them, seemed incredible that they did not immediately pick up what was happening. Having said that I enjoyed the story to the end, even the escape to Switzerland!

tigger Mon 24-Apr-17 14:01:49

Thank you for my copy of the English Agent. A very good read what my husband would call a "pot boiler" it was certainly a page turner. Well written and excellently depicted the courage and bravery of the resistance and agents in the field. I was glad I didn't have to endure several pages of the torture the agent suffered but just enough to demonstrate some of what took place. However, I felt some of the scenarios were unlikely but the fairy tale ending ensured a happy conclusion.

harrigran Sun 30-Apr-17 23:30:10

I have now finished the English Agent and found the story flowed easily and kept the attention throughout the book. I have read many books on the same subject but the love interest with the German soldier made this one a little more interesting. One thing that did surprise me was the availability of luxury items such as the Chanel dress, I thought everyone had to make do and mend and that included Parisians too. Using real place names and addresses makes the story more believable.
what happened to Edie and Gerhardt after the war ? I would like to think they continued to live in Switzerland, had a family and lived happily ever after.

Greenfinch Thu 04-May-17 11:07:14

I enjoyed reading this book although it is set in a period of history I don't usually enjoy reading about. It was interesting to see the events from various points of view although I did find it confusing at first with so many characters being introduced at once. I liked the use of flashbacks to return to earlier events .I also would like to know if there is going to be a sequel