Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Secret Garden

(14 Posts)
MawBroon Thu 20-Apr-17 11:17:55

Has anybody received their copy yet?
I had an email 2 weeks ago which said they would be being sent out shortly and to get back to GN if it hadn't arrived within 2 weeks.

Luckygirl Thu 20-Apr-17 15:03:36

Not to be confused with "My Secret Garden" which is a book of women's sexual fantasies. Beware when buying the book for your wee GC!

MawBroon Thu 20-Apr-17 15:07:43

blushblush
Maybe it has been intercepted by the league of women's decency!!

Ana Thu 20-Apr-17 15:30:18

Did you miss the 'The' out, MawBroon?

rosesarered Thu 20-Apr-17 15:35:24

The Secret Garden by Frances H Burnett is a wonderful book.smile

Lucky how are you getting on with the other Secret Garden Book?grin

Ana Thu 20-Apr-17 15:38:56

Not sure I'd want to read about other women's sexual fantasies. I'm quite happy with my own! grin

NanSue Thu 20-Apr-17 16:17:50

I too had an email 2 weeks ago but have not received my copy yet. Not sure if this is where we contact GN to tell them.

MawBroon Thu 20-Apr-17 17:06:24

No, Ana, it's "A Secret Garden " by Katie fforde (?)
I admit to leaving off the article because I couldn't remember whether it was The or A!!

Luckygirl Thu 20-Apr-17 17:12:48

...or my.....grin

rocketstop Mon 15-May-17 15:43:42

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I read my copy of Secret garden by Katie Fforde and I really enjoyed it. Katie's books are easy to read and always leave you feeling fulfilled somehow.I liked the mix of characters and the mixes between class and social standing, a feel good book !

NanSue Wed 24-May-17 17:59:22

I was so pleased to have been lucky enough to receive this book and I was not disappointed. I'm not an overly keen gardener but it didn't matter, there are plenty of other things going on. I liked the blend of ages of the characters from the young to the elderly.. The only thing I would say, is that the youngsters seemed very old fashioned. Not really a criticism, just a little odd but on the whole, a light and easy read.

MawBroon Wed 24-May-17 18:20:11

I feel churlish to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it was a very light read, frothy, everybody lived happily ever after, lightweight characters and a lightweight "plot".
Not unpleasant, but even fluffier than Maeve Binchy.

GeminiJen Sat 27-May-17 15:41:00

The illustration on the cover clearly identifies this as chick lit, not a genre I would normally choose.
However, I was setting off on holiday, looking forward to reading something light and fluffy and attracted by the heading on the front cover of “Sunday Times No. 1 Bestselling Author”, while selections from reviews on the back cover include “Modern-day Austen. Great fun” and “Top-drawer romantic escapism.” 22 other titles are listed as “Also by Katie Fforde”, from which I can only assume that her work sells.
For me though, this book was my first experience of this author. It will also be my last. Very slender plot, predictable characters, predictable outcomes, happy endings for all.
Sorry Gransnet, like MawBroon I feel a bit churlish at saying this but it's what I think.

GandT Fri 02-Jun-17 13:05:29

A thoroughly enchanting and delightful, if not predictable, story. Interesting slant for gardeners. Sadly, no surprises regarding the many interweaving love interests.