Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Peter Pan - recommendations of a version adapted for a preschooler needed please?

(17 Posts)
PiesMummy Sat 27-May-17 09:12:43

Having just managed to get my two and a half year old GC to sit still for 30 minutes and listen while she's being read to, I was taken aback to discover that my local library didn't have a copy of Peter Pan! I ordered a copy off Amazon but was dismayed to discover the very stuffy language at the start and my listener was losing interest waiting for the flying stuff and the fun. (She was very confused that the dog was the children's nana!)

I'd told her I would bring her a very exciting book with fairies and pirates and crocodiles for us to 'read' together next week and then had to break my promise and take her a modern day book which was a disappointing substitute.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to who might produce a slimmed down version and where I can still get one (preferably with beautiful illustrations) I thought maybe Ladybird or Disney?

Appreciate any recommendations

MawBroon Sat 27-May-17 09:18:18

Why restrict yourself?
"My Granny's a Pirate" by Val McDermid is a great book, good pictures and a lovely sort of rhyming language which encourages a child to join in, in the same way The Gruffalo and Bearhunt do.
Some of the Ladybird "adaptations" are fine, but others can miss so much out that they lose the point.
I would avoid Disney like the plague.
Plenty of time for Peter Pan in the future!

Jalima1108 Sat 27-May-17 09:56:03

We had one years ago but I doubt that it is still in print, I can't remember the publisher. Ladybird also do all the classics in a precis version - they used to do versions of fairy tales (not the Disney versions) which were reading books too.

A 2.5 year old sitting still for 30 minutes even if the story is rivetting? I'm astonished!

Jalima1108 Sat 27-May-17 09:57:01

Oh MawBroon I see you mentioned that but thought they may miss the point.
I missed your post blush

Jalima1108 Sat 27-May-17 13:13:08

This is the one we have (it's very old)

www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/First-Peter-Pan-Little-Books-Sir-Barrie/0340033576?tag=gransnetforum-21

Jalima1108 Sat 27-May-17 13:15:41

but there are so many lovely books around these days

mcem Sat 27-May-17 14:16:53

It's an old story written for children at the time - a lovely story which will be thoroughly enjoyed at the right time.
Not many children as young as this one would focus for half-an-hour so don't risk letting your GC ever think that stories are boring.

There are so many age-appropriate books which draw in and involve the younger listeners (allowing them to participate, question and answer) so please don't get hung-up on your own childhood favourites.

There's lots of new original writing around if you seek it out and don't just settle for recycled versions.

yggdrasil Sat 27-May-17 15:10:59

Try looking at this site www.thebookpeople.co.uk

They have lovely age appropriate books for children very cheap. Many of which would be available through the library too

Ilovecheese Sat 27-May-17 15:54:17

I have a very old copy of "J.M.Barries's Peter Pan and Wendy retold for little people with illustrations by Mabel Lucy Attwell.
It was published by Hodder and Stoughton. My copy says reprinted 1940, but does not give the original print date.
I would guess second hand or antiquarian book shops.

Have just had a look on Ebay and it is there for between about £9.99 and £17.99.
Might be a bit old fashioned, yes, but the pictures are lovely.
The story is a classic. I would also avoid Disney.

Waveney Sat 27-May-17 16:48:35

Slightly off the point, but my four year old GS 's 'comfort' programme is the CBeebies version of Peter Pan, which includes all the traditional items, such as clapping for Tinkerbelle, and is just fun! ( although I have seen it so often I can recite the script!)

Norah Sat 27-May-17 17:05:10

My GC enjoy the Disney version.

callgirl1 Sat 27-May-17 17:50:53

PiesMummy, I can`t remember the author, but a few years ago, I won a children`s book on Gransnet, called The Singing Mermaid, a lovely story, and beautifully illustrated, my little grandson loved it.

Jalima1108 Sat 27-May-17 18:30:10

I have a very old copy of "J.M.Barries's Peter Pan and Wendy retold for little people with illustrations by Mabel Lucy Attwell.
that's the one I've got too, ilovecheese
You can still get a second hand copy on Amazon - I think - fairly cheaply

ps every time I see your posts I want to go and cut myself a chunk of Cheddar grin

Ilovecheese Sat 27-May-17 19:04:38

Go on, Jalima1108 treat yourself!

Jalima1108 Sat 27-May-17 19:27:10

I resisted!!

Diet, diet, diet!

PiesMummy Wed 31-May-17 18:35:42

Thanks everyone! Those recommendations are excellent. We've just done Alice in Wonderland Chapter two although It's getting tricky explaining not to drink things and eat strange things. I think I'm landing myself in a load of trouble here...

Jalima1108 Wed 31-May-17 20:06:21

I think reading to 2 year olds is excellent but sometimes short stories that they can join in with are a good idea, eg Bear Hunt, The Owl Babies (DGD always liked to say Bill's words herself and never tired of hearing that time and time again!!), Dear Zoo, any lift-the-flap books etc, books they can join in with at their level of understanding.