Gransnet forums

Books/book club

When you are enjoying a book so much!

(77 Posts)
phoenix Thu 01-Jun-17 22:55:57

Hello all,

Yet again I'm in "that" situation, absolutely loving a book, wanting to find out what happens next, BUT I don't want it end, I don't want to have to leave the characters and their lives that I have become immersed in.

I don't get this feeling with every book I read, in fact there are some that although I finish the book, I'm glad to see the back of them, so to speak!

Does anyone else experience this?

Sar53 Tue 06-Jun-17 20:34:28

mancgirl glad you are enjoying it. My DD and I both read this trilogy and neither of us wanted them to end. smile

NotTooOld Tue 06-Jun-17 17:12:23

I've just read all of this thread and downloaded samples of many of the recommended books to my kindle, so thank you ladies and gents!

Nobody has mentioned or recommended Ruth Rendell who sadly died not that long ago. I loved all her books, including ones written as Barbara Vine. I bought RR's very last book although unfortunately I can't remember the title and was sadly disappointed as it was way below her usual standard.

RIP Ruth.

mancgirl Tue 06-Jun-17 16:36:23

sar53 downloaded The Bronze Horseman. Already hooked! Thanks for the recommendation smile

rosesarered Tue 06-Jun-17 11:36:52

Tizliz thanks for that tip! smile

Greyduster Tue 06-Jun-17 11:30:42

Phoenix I used to lap up Wilbur Smith, especially the Africa series, and I really enjoyed River God and the Seventh Scroll, but got a bit bored with Warlock and haven't read another since. Maybe I should have another go at them. I can thoroughly recommend Manda Scott's 'Boudicca' series as good reads. I made the mistake of reading them out of order, but couldn't put any of them down. Also, by the same author, "Into the Fire". Brilliant, gripping, edge of seat stuff.

bootie41 Mon 05-Jun-17 15:58:21

Phoenix, I have never heard of Audrey Niffenegger but thanks to you I have now, it was my day for the library today Monday I thought I would look for that book, but​ I had forgotten the bit of paper I had written the name on, also the name of the book. as I was walking round the library I looked on a table that had books on it and there was the ladies name she was recommending a book of somebody else, I went to the shelf and there was the book you we're talking about, I couldn't believe it. So this afternoon I have been lay on my bed the rain pouring down the windows and have lost myself in this book.
Thank you for telling us all about it ?

angelab Mon 05-Jun-17 14:58:14

My online library catalogue has a section with links to books which are e.g. R & J's choices, Costa shortlists etc. Would be worth looking on your local catalogue for ideas, I think.

Tizliz Mon 05-Jun-17 14:54:57

I recommend a site called Fantastic Fiction. It has every author and all their books, all in the right order (Amazon never achieves this).

rosesarered Mon 05-Jun-17 14:37:41

I am on here at the moment angelab but if no answers then then will do later.

angelab Mon 05-Jun-17 14:29:41

rar check on Amazon smile

rosesarered Mon 05-Jun-17 14:03:36

Anybody know if Kate Atkinson has a recent book out?

rosesarered Mon 05-Jun-17 09:37:49

Just showing books I buy because I like the artwork on the covers ( other times I buy on Kindle)
These are the Blood Dragons trilogy ( urban fantasy)

The others are the Andrew Martin books ( mainly Edwardian railway mystery)
All of these are good holiday reading.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 05-Jun-17 01:16:25

Thanks roses - I just needed a break from here. Lurked a bit though! grin

rosesarered Sun 04-Jun-17 14:18:54

I bought the actual paperbacks ( it woukd be cheaper on Kindle though) because I like the artwork on the covers.I often do this with books.

rosesarered Sun 04-Jun-17 14:17:13

Oh good * Wilma* hope you like them.Welcome back btw as I haven't seen you around for a while.smile

phoenix Sat 03-Jun-17 23:43:13

Sorry Legs55 but after a couple of books I found Dan Brown books to be rather predictable and sort of "formulaic" .

I had the same problem with Wilbur Smith, read River God, loved it, then sought out more of his books and was very disappointed.

He's a bit of a standing joke in our house now.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 03-Jun-17 22:53:53

Funnily enough Roses that's what I plan to read next. I'm on the latest book in the Owl series by Kristi Charish, then I'll start that series.

rosesarered Sat 03-Jun-17 22:42:43

For anyone who likes urban fantasy, check out a trilogy by Rosemary A Johns
Blood Dragons
Blood Shackles
Blood Renegades

Unusual and keeps you page turning.

Bellanonna Sat 03-Jun-17 20:39:22

Wilma, have you been away? I haven't seen you around for a bit. Welcome back if you have.

Legs55 Sat 03-Jun-17 20:03:00

When I went to visit DM for 2 weeks at Easter I took 4 James Patterson books, plenty I thought. No I had to get a 5th book at a local Whist Drive, Village Hall has a bookshelf, £1 donation. I just could not put the books down.

I'm reading Dan Brown at the moment, good books but I'm often very tired when I go to bed so I'm not getting through them as quickly, but really enjoying them. Sometimes I can't wait for the ending other times I want the book to last foreverconfused

EllenT Sat 03-Jun-17 19:33:11

Currently engrossed in The Versions of Us - a clever story of a couple over 60 or 70 years, the twist being that each of three versions of the narrative are told in parallel. So far it's moving and compelling, requiring a degree of concentration which is no bad thing.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 03-Jun-17 19:30:25

Sometimes it just comes to me that I don't care what happens. That's when I give up on a book.

Redrobin51 Sat 03-Jun-17 19:28:44

I Am Pilgrim - We read that for my Crime Book Club. With thoss I always try to finish them whether I want to or not as it is awkward when they start discussing it and you have given up half way. I had a lot of things (not good) happening in my life that month and looked at the nearly 900 pages and felt queasy at the thought of ploughing through it. Well I was so wrong devoured every page,didn't want it to end and can't wait for the next one.x

basketlady Sat 03-Jun-17 18:56:58

I can never put down a really dreadful book - I have to see how much worse it can get !!

Funnygran Sat 03-Jun-17 18:14:12

bellanonna I put 'The trouble with Goats and Sheep' onto my Kindle to read on a recent holiday, I had much the same feeling as you in that I wanted to know what happened but also couldn't wait to finish it as felt it had run out of steam. I have recently finished reading a trilogy about WW1 and the years afterwards by Louisa Young. I can highly recommend it and couldn't put any of the books down. In fact I had reserved the last one at the library before it was published. Like others have commented, life is now too short to plod on with something that I can't get on with.