Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading now 2

(364 Posts)
MargaretX Mon 12-Jun-17 15:02:44

I'm looking for books to read or download onto my Kindle
I've just finished The Co op's got Bananas by Hunter Davies and its hard to follow it!
And so sad that Margaret Forster has died last year. I will read all her books including non fiction again sometime.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Mar-21 14:09:39

A

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Mar-21 13:38:56

“The Smell of Summer Grass” by Adam Nicholson.

A lovely, lovely read made more so as it is in my neck of the woods.

Love the description of a horses bottom!

isabellseven Sat 13-Mar-21 15:50:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Blossoming Wed 10-Mar-21 10:43:08

I’m re-reading the ‘Shardlake’ series. Currently on book 1 Dissolution.

magwis Wed 10-Mar-21 10:41:11

Mary Lawson - bought 2 of her books to read on my old kindle.

G1asgowgal Tue 09-Mar-21 21:36:00

Have just finished reading all of Steve Cavanaghs books
Started with Fifty Fifty and enjoyed it immensely so much so that I went to the beginning of his Eddie Flynn series and read through them all. Thirteen is also fantastic. So if you enjoy a thriller you have to read these. I am eagerly awaiting his new book which is out in the next few weeks.

I also am re reading Harlan Coben’s Myron Bolitar series from the beginning again. A great storyteller. Fantastic characters.

Rosiebee Sun 07-Mar-21 13:25:12

I've just started "Grown Ups" by Marian Keyes.
My first by this author. Well it throws you straight into the midst of this very large family- so many characters and complicated relationships. There is a family tree at the beginning of the book and I find myself constantly referring back to it, which is a bit tiresome. Hopefully someone else will have read this book and be able to encourage me to continue with it. I have listened to her on the radio and I really want to like her work.

nanna8 Sun 07-Mar-21 11:27:01

‘The Spider’ by Barry Levine about Geoffrey Edelstein and the Maxwell woman. Got it online from my local library.

foxie48 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:55:13

I have just finished Half of a yellow sun by Adichie. I thoroughly recommend it. She writes very well and the story develops so I became really invested in the main characters. I knew little about Nigeria and the civil war though I remembered the pictures of the "Biafran babies" but didn't understand why there was a famine. I now know something of what happened. It follows the story of twin sisters who come from a wealthy Igbo family, follows their lives and loves and experience of being Biafran, it's very sad in parts but not maudlin.

LCoy Wed 03-Mar-21 17:37:25

I just finished Anton Chekhov's Uncle Vanya yesterday. Great read and finally a Chekhov's where the protagonists live to suffer. I have started with Murakami's Wild Sheep Chase. The character and story building has taken some time but it has not been a let-off yet. Finally, I have been reading Tommy Orange's There There, an excellent book on the indigenous lives in an America unrecognizable to the native experience. An important piece of literature - a pioneering work of the New Native Renaissance, highly recommend it.

chicken Fri 26-Feb-21 13:11:49

I've been rereading the whole "Wintercombe" series (4 long books) by Pamela Belle, written about 30 years ago but still absolutely wonderful. They are all available on Kindle. It's a story about a family in the West Country, set during the Civil War. A troop of Cavaliers are billeted on this Puritan household who live in the house called Wintercombe, which is an actual National Trust house with a different name, and it's set in the real village of Philips Norton. It's an engrossing love story, family saga and history lesson---it would make a wonderful TV costume drama.

jenny04 Wed 24-Feb-21 03:08:30

I'm very much fond of reading. I have just finished "Mindset by Carol Dweck," one of the most life-changing books I ever read.
Anybody completed "The Cold Millions," a novel by Jess Walter. Heard good reviews. Want to read that one.

rareskyone Wed 17-Feb-21 13:02:51

The trial pits the evidence of the white Ewell family against Tom's evidence. Chapter 23 analysis of 'To kill a mockingbird'. mybk-experience.onl www.mcdvoicesurvey.onl/

Greyduster Tue 16-Feb-21 17:36:36

Since ‘Execution’, I have read “Quantum Curators and the Faberge Egg” by Eva St John, “State of Treason” by Paul Walker, and The Einstein Prophesy by Robert Masello. The latter was a cross between Raiders of the Lost Ark and a long lecture on quantum physics.

rareskyone Tue 16-Feb-21 16:13:55

To Kill a Mockingbird is a novel by the American author Harper Lee. It is a great novel and the best one to start with. It's a story that revolves around a sibling (jem and scout) and their lives which bring some unexpected twist and turns while living with their only single parent i.e. their father Atticus and caretaker Calpurnia.

The plot of the story at the start wasn't clear except the plot of Boo Radley because the narrations would get deep into some incidents and suddenly change course, this happened a no. of times. Later we realize that these brief narrations depict the emotions that childrens feel as the story is narrated from scout (8 year old) Point of view.

TerriBull Fri 05-Feb-21 17:45:53

You aren't alone Urmstongran I found it very dull couldn't be bothered finishing it, gave up around the half way mark. I believe it's been snapped up for filming, by Stephen Spielberg no less! or so I read, maybe it will make a better dramatisation. I was very underwhelmed by the Normal People book but thought the tv production was wonderful.

Greyduster Fri 05-Feb-21 17:08:38

Just finished ‘Execution’ by S. J. Parris. Great edge-of-your-seat read. Unfortunately I had only read one of this series before and it was an early one so I have a lot of ground to make up reading the others, if I can stand the suspense.
Before that, Ann Cleeves’ “The Darkest Evening” - the latest in the Vera series. It doesn’t disappoint.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Feb-21 16:42:07

I’m reading The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman and wondering what all the hype was about. I’m halfway through it and thinking ^am I the only one who’s underwhelmed by it?_.
🤭

NanKate Fri 05-Feb-21 16:07:03

I have seen Marian Keyes mentioned on Amazon Bestsellers. What are her books about and can you recommend your favourite please ?

Blossoming Mon 01-Feb-21 00:27:01

I’m afraid my current read is not very cheerful, it’s ‘Auschwitz’ by Laurence Rees. I’m reading a lot of history books at the moment, perhaps a reaction to the strange and troubled times we are living through.

justagirlfromHastings Mon 01-Feb-21 00:11:28

Patsy70 Sun 31-Jan-21 16:54:38

Currently reading and thoroughly enjoying ‘Crooked Heart’ by Lissa Evans. It’s the second in a trilogy - I’ve got the first & third in my Amazon wish list!

nanna8 Wed 13-Jan-21 12:08:18

Children of Wrath by Paul Grossman. It is very good and very scary, set in 1929 Berlin and tracing the German attitude to Jewish people as well as a detective story.

minayang Tue 12-Jan-21 09:48:18

dhankesarilive Sat 07-Nov-20 03:01:11