Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Graham Greene

(10 Posts)
Greyduster Sat 08-Jul-17 13:27:51

With The Heart of the Matter, it's more duty and despair than love and hate. There was nothing likeable about any of the characters, even Scobie.

Thirdinline Sat 08-Jul-17 12:32:19

Try Our Man in Havanna, Luckygirl, it's very different to The End of the Affair, before you write him off completely.

Luckygirl Sat 08-Jul-17 12:27:24

It is The End of the Affair that I am reading at present. I do admire the writing in many ways; but I feel totally disengaged from what he is saying - it is somehow both too clinical and too OTT, in the fact that there is love and hate but nothing in between. Maybe he is just not for me.

Anniebach Sat 08-Jul-17 12:19:13

I liked 'A Burnt Out Case'

Ilovecheese Sat 08-Jul-17 12:11:27

I love some of them, especially The End of the Affair. Did The Power and the Glory at school and loved it. Enjoyed Brighton Rock.
Not so much the Quiet American of Our man in Havana.

Always felt as well that you could tell he was a convert and not a "Cradle Catholic"

Greyduster Sat 08-Jul-17 12:07:24

I have only read two, quite a while ago: Brighton Rock and The Heart of the Matter. I absolutely hated Brighton Rock, but, while I found the Heart of theMatter a bit stifling, I did think it was worth the read. Might try him again.

Welshwife Sat 08-Jul-17 11:30:58

I like his books too - I went back to reading one - End of the Affair - after reading some rubbish chick lit passed onto me and just sank into the good writing. Our Man in Havana was a good read too. Have read Brighton Rock and seen the film with Richard Attenborough as a suitable horrible Pinky - but because of the nature of that character cannot bring myself to read it again!

devongirl Sat 08-Jul-17 11:26:43

don't know what happened there - The Power and the Glory

devongirl Sat 08-Jul-17 11:26:11

LOVE his books, have read all of them (I think) except Brighton Rock. My favourites were The Quiet American and The Poer

Luckygirl Sat 08-Jul-17 11:15:12

Am I alone in not liking his books at all? I studied some for A-level and hated it all. Our book club has just acquired a Graham Greene for our next read (The End of the Affair) and I am finding it very irritating - he just takes himself too seriously for me. He seems to be universally admired, but I just don't get it at all.