Gransnet forums

Books/book club

A 'man's' read- recommendations please.

(22 Posts)
Imperfect27 Fri 28-Jul-17 22:23:49

My DH has really enjoyed the Simon Scarrow 'Roman' series and is just starting the last one and I know he will feel the gap when he finishes it. He is a bit of a creature of habit and I would like to surprise him by buying him something else to try in the same vein. Any recommendations = perhaps via OHs?

Tizliz Fri 28-Jul-17 22:29:25

Has he read Conn Iggulden conqueror series? Bernard cornwell the last kingdom series?

Imperfect27 Fri 28-Jul-17 22:34:19

Bernard Cornwell yes, but not Conn Iggulden - thank you Tizliz smile

Imperfect27 Fri 28-Jul-17 22:37:14

Tizliz I have just done a quick search re books and biography - looks right up his street. Thnaks again.

Eglantine19 Sat 29-Jul-17 10:08:25

Robert Harris? I enjoyed Pompeii.

Greyduster Sat 29-Jul-17 10:53:48

I loved Pompeii, too, and so did DS who is a big fan of Robert Harris and Ancient Rome. I have just finished the last book in the Last Kingdom series and feel bereft now. I think Cornwell has left room for another book but I can't imagine that there is much left to say. They were so engrossing (if a little gory in places!). M. C. Scott's 'Rome' trilogy if he likes Roman fiction. She also wrote the Boudicca Series under the name Manda Scott. A truly gifted writer. Also Adrian Goldsworthy's 'Vindolanda'.

Liaise Sat 29-Jul-17 11:05:49

Mine likes Lindsay Davis, Wilbur Smith and I brought him a John Pilkington from the library which he is reading at the moment. Alexander Kent and the "Hornblower Series" . Douglas Reeman, E V Thompson. Reading your email I seem to have gone of the point a bit but Lindsay Davis he recommends. Perhaps the others will interest DHs. I have just thought of Robert Goddard and John LeCarre. Apparently Tom Holland writes Roman history.

Eglantine19 Sat 29-Jul-17 11:08:56

Oh I loved the Boudicca series by Manda Scott. I couldhardlybear to read the last one though because I knew what would happen to them!

rosesarered Sat 29-Jul-17 14:59:51

I think the Falco series by Lindsey Davis would fit the bill, my DH enjoyed them all and so did I ( start at the beginning with The Silver Pigs.)

Imperfect27 Sat 29-Jul-17 22:30:24

Thankyou all - knew GNetters would come to the rescue! I will have fun exploring - his birthday is coming up soon so he might get a bumper crop smile.

geeljay Sun 30-Jul-17 12:15:02

Wilber Smith. Or Birdsong, by Sebastion Fauls, I found riveting.

Greyduster Sun 30-Jul-17 21:30:34

'Birdsong' is a brilliant book.

Imperfect27 Sun 30-Jul-17 22:52:50

Thank you. Don't know about Wilbur Smith, but agree Birdsong is a brilliant read.

TriciaF Mon 31-Jul-17 17:34:03

My husband used to like the John LeCarré books - mostly about Spys etc.
eg Spy who came in from the Cold - some made into tv series. Also the Cornwell (Sharpe)and Forrester (Hornblower) books.

Eglantine19 Mon 31-Jul-17 17:52:22

Alfred Duggan is a good historical writer too.

RosieLeah Mon 31-Jul-17 18:29:39

There's an author called Manfredi, who writes stories based on historical fact. Your husband might enjoy his books.

Tizliz Mon 31-Jul-17 18:33:40

I used to like Wilbur Smith but not his recent stuff, it is too violent for me.

Just thought of Joe Abercrombie he is bordering on fantasy but not pixies and wizards.

There is a site called fantastic fiction which has listed loads of authors and what they have written in the right order - unlike Amazon which is very random.

Greyduster Mon 31-Jul-17 18:47:38

I read Wilbur Smith's "Pharaoh” recently and I'm afraid I decided then that it will be the last of his books I ever read. Used to be a fan. What about the 'Shardlake' series by C J. Sansom? They were very good reads.

Greyduster Mon 31-Jul-17 18:51:57

RosieLeah I have read Manfredi's "Odysseus" and a couple of the Alexander books - they are good reads.

Imperfect27 Wed 02-Aug-17 08:15:12

Thanks all.

I did tell DH I had been doing some 'research' on his behalf - he seemed quite grumpy, in a 'I can organise my own life' way. I know full well he would finish the current book and then hurrumph around our bookshelves and settle for re-reading ... not knocking that, but I am planning on buying a few new titles as tasters - plenty here to interest him I think. He might thank me one day grin.

TerriBull Wed 02-Aug-17 10:27:48

My husband loves crime, his favourite writer is probably Peter May he's been raving about a series he has written set in China. I have read several of Peter May's one off books such as Entry Island which I would say would appeal to anyone Another author he has been introduced to of late is Nick Herron who writes about the security services, which I haven't read because the subject matter doesn't really appeal, possibly more of a man's type of book. I hadn't really thought about the male/female divide in literature. We have talked about what we liked in our early years, my husband grew up loving Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe, Tom Sawyer I was more of an Enid Blyton, Alice in Wonderland, type of child. Although we both worked our way through Agatha Christie's novels in our teens.

pollyperkins Wed 02-Aug-17 12:55:08

This sounds like a list of DHs favourite books!!