Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Can anyone recommend any Australian authors please?

(20 Posts)
Alima Tue 19-Sep-17 08:24:40

I am currently reading The Dry by Jane Harper. Really enjoying it and want to read more but I'll have to wait as it is her first book. It has reminded me of the Nevil Shute and Jon Cleary books I have enjoyed. Do you know of any more Australian authors, crime or an Australian version of Ann Tyler/Jodi Picoult if there is such a thing. Thanks in anticipation.

TerriBull Tue 19-Sep-17 09:10:43

I read the late Colleen McCullough's, The Thorn Birds years ago, although not really the genre you are looking for. I believe Liane Moriarty writes crime, I have recently seen "Big Little Lies" but haven't read the book, she's definitely Australian and appears to be very popular, I can't think of anyone else at present but will post again if I do.

Glad you liked "The Dry" it's on my "to read list"

Eglantine21 Tue 19-Sep-17 09:16:54

I enjoyed Toni Jordan "Addition" though I would like to change the ending! I think she has written a new one too but haven't come across it yet n the book shops.

Alima Tue 19-Sep-17 09:26:03

Thanks Terri, I have heard the title Big Little Lies but thought it was a current American film tie-in. I am sure they have the book in Sainsbury's at the moment so will check on that and look up Liane Moriarty.

(I loved The Thorn Birds. Both the book and the mini series. It is still on the bookshelf, may read that again now).

shysal Tue 19-Sep-17 09:33:30

I have read and enjoyed several Liane Moriarty books, although I wouldn't really describe them as crime. In fact last week I bought a few more second hand ones by her. She has two sisters who also write.

shysal Tue 19-Sep-17 09:35:15

I have read and enjoyed several Liane Moriarty books, although I wouldn't really describe them as crime. In fact last week I bought a few more second hand ones by her. She has two sisters who also write.

shysal Tue 19-Sep-17 09:35:39

Oops! blush

Alima Tue 19-Sep-17 09:42:33

Thank you Eglantine, Addition looks good too. Apparently it is "brimming with sarcastic humour". That will suit me then!
Thank you, thank you Shysal!

TerriBull Tue 19-Sep-17 09:45:57

Being a Hollywood production the setting for "Big Little Lies" was Monteray, but quite possibly the book may have been set in Australia. Not wishing to give too much away I would say there was a crime sub plot to the story.

lemongrove Tue 19-Sep-17 10:05:20

The Thorn Birds was a really good book, and tv series, made me want to find and re-read it now.?

Miep1 Tue 19-Sep-17 10:37:40

Disney Costelloe writes very well, take a look on Amazon!

Eloethan Tue 19-Sep-17 11:08:43

Kate Grenville has written several books - some of them (like "The Secret River") I couldn't get on with, but the one I absolutely love is "The Idea of Perfection" which won the Orange Prize in 2001.

Peter Carey is very well known and has written a lot of books. I read one a long time ago and quite enjoyed it. I think it was Oscar and Lucinda.

Cristos Tsiolkas wrote "The Slap" which was a very popular book - a friend recommended it to me but I only read a few chapters as I really disliked the characters and everything about it.

M L Stedman wrote "The Light Between Oceans". I haven't read the book but saw the film, which I really enjoyed - though it was very sad.

GeminiJen Tue 19-Sep-17 12:07:24

Bryce Courteney, The Australian trilogy. Charts Australia's journey to nationhood. The three books are The Potato Factory, Tommo and Hawk and Soloman's Song. It's quite a while since I read these but I remember enjoying them. The final book deals with Galipoli and is particularly poignant, well researched too. Although the author was born in South Africa, he lived most of his life in Australia.

Alima Tue 19-Sep-17 12:30:09

There are some brilliant suggestions here, thanks everyone.

Morgana Thu 21-Sep-17 23:58:58

Loved big little lies although don't like all Moriarty books. Also really enjoyed The Slap. I also like Tim Renton books especially Cloud street.

Morgana Fri 22-Sep-17 00:06:38

Sorry that should have read Tim Winton!

Chewbacca Fri 22-Sep-17 00:24:37

Really enjoyed The Slapton and thought that the TV serialisation of it was very good too. I also enjoyed The Man Who Loved Children by Christina Stead. Quite a dark book but a very good read.

Chewbacca Fri 22-Sep-17 00:25:13

Slapton? The SLAP!

dahlia Sun 24-Sep-17 17:05:08

I do enjoy most of Liane Moriarty's books, try "The Husband's Secret" as a starter. Loved "The Dry", too.

MissAdventure Sun 24-Sep-17 17:53:53

I've just started "the husband's secret". Its been in my bookcase for years, and I suddenly had the urge to find out what the secret was!