Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Bletchley Park Brainteasers

(18 Posts)
humptydumpty Tue 14-Nov-17 13:55:48

Just heard that I have won a copy - looking forward to testing my grey matter! Thanks smile

eGJ Tue 14-Nov-17 17:50:56

Just read the email that a copy is coming my way; thankyou GN. I'll post here when it comes and perhaps try out a few before I try it out on the family grin

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 14-Nov-17 19:33:07

Let us know how you get on! grin

NfkDumpling Tue 14-Nov-17 22:40:43

I’ve got one winging towards me! I doubt I’ll be able to do many, but I wanted to try it on my clever family when they come to stay. Will let you know how we all get on!

BBbevan Wed 15-Nov-17 03:27:44

Thank you GN apparently a copy is on the way to me

Worlass Sat 25-Nov-17 11:34:42

Thanks very much. One on its way to me.

Katek Sat 25-Nov-17 12:28:54

Bought this along with the GCHQ one for my brother’s Xmas. Doubt we’ll hear from him all Xmas day!

Squiffy Sat 25-Nov-17 15:26:48

Thank you, one on its way to me, too.

lemongrove Sat 25-Nov-17 20:22:06

Wouldn't it be painful if you couldn’t do any of the puzzles though? tchgrin

tiggers Sat 25-Nov-17 22:13:06

Thank you GN. Will let you know when it arrives and how I get on.

Maggiemaybe Tue 28-Nov-17 14:47:52

I'm looking forward to mine too! I've always fancied myself as a codebreaker (in my dreams!), but I doubt very much that I'll make the grade! Thank you for the opportunity though, GN, as those Apprentice rejects always say. smile

BBbevan Sat 02-Dec-17 17:04:27

Thank you GN, I received my copy this morning. I had a quick peruse and am looking forward to trying the puzzles etc. Unfortunately I left it on the coffee table. DH said "That looks intriguing " and has started to read it. DS visited this afternoon and asked to borrow the book when his Dad had finished. So there is now a queue , with me at the end

Squiffy Sat 02-Dec-17 18:54:39

Thank you GN, my copy arrived today. Not much housework etc going to get done now (as if it ever does blush)

tiggers Sat 02-Dec-17 20:42:05

Thank you GN. Have received my copy too. Looking forward to testing my brain cell during the coming week and will let you know how I get on!

Maggiemaybe Sun 03-Dec-17 08:58:27

Thank you, my copy came on Friday. I was in a whirlwind of preparation for guests coming that evening and by yesterday had completely forgotten it had arrived and was surprised to see it sitting on the bookshelf. Bletchley definitely missed out on a great brain here......

nannyann5 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:08:08

My copy of the Bletchley Park Brainteasers arrived a few days ago and I have started doing (or attempting to do) the puzzles. Well, I completed the X Machine and a few others and am doing better with the 'word' teasers than most of the others, but will go back to the ones I'm finding difficult and try again! My brain is wondering what is going on. It hasn't worked as hard as this in a long time. Very enjoyable though. Thank you for sending me a copy - it will keep me occupied for ages.

humptydumpty Mon 04-Dec-17 15:33:31

Have my copy too but no time to try yet. The page I opened it at looked like Only Connect so looking forward to it smile Always thought I would have enjoyed being a code-breaker...

tiggers Mon 15-Jan-18 11:35:23

Have started to read the background to Bletchley Park and the sort of people who worked there and how they came to be chosen for the job. All very interesting. As yet have not attempted the puzzles. I know my husband will enjoy doing the cryptic crosswords (beyond me). Something for us to keep dipping into through the winter months.