Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Imperfect Heroines.

(10 Posts)
Teetime Tue 27-Feb-18 09:48:54

For a long time I have been rather bored by perfect heroines in novels. The book I am reading on the Kindle at the moment admittedly is a bit of light fluff 'The Note' juts simple bed time reading but I hear myself huffing and fuffing re Maya the heroine and her general all round perfectness especially the cuteness of her dress sense, her cute bottom and her perfect bone structure as she ploughs into an astonishing number of sweet cocktails and hot chocolates with marshmallows, pizzas, paninis etc etc. I know its fiction but it hard to suspend disbelief and get lost in the story in the midst of all this wonderfulness. i expect I'm alone in this.

Teetime Tue 27-Feb-18 09:49:37

What I should have said was I like my heroines and heros to have a bit of grit.

henetha Tue 27-Feb-18 11:28:21

I agree. The worst culprit is Danielle Steel. All her heroines are outstandingly beautiful, highly intellectual, very wealthly with doting wealthy parents, have a marvellous high-flying career, live a jet-setting life style, and are entirely removed from the real world.

MissAdventure Tue 27-Feb-18 12:01:21

I can't stand Danielle Steele for that reason. As soon as I start reading about hair framing a heart shaped face, and large, doe like eyes.. ugh!

Nannarose Tue 27-Feb-18 12:32:07

'classic' fiction: Helen Graham from 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall'
Historical fiction:
The Mists of Avalon, written from Morgan Lefay's point of view and we see both her own mistakes and others' villainy that leads to her usual role in the Arthurian saga.
Catherine LeVendeur from Sharan Newman's novels (love a heroine who spills ink and trips over things)
Lassair from Alys Clare's Aelf fen mysteries
Adelia: the Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin

Modern: Sharon McCone, a PI in San Francisco (Marcia Muller, if you're new to her, read the early ones first)

Any of Suzanne Brockmann's romantic thrillers have gloriously imperfect heroes and heroines.

Genre defying:
Scarlett O'Hara (now much worse could you get and still be a 'heroine'?)
Lyra Belacqua from His Dark Materials trilogy - one of the most memorable heroines ever, as we see a spoiled brat become a thoughtful and resolute person

Oopsadaisy12 Tue 27-Feb-18 12:46:01

Teetime, I finished this book on my kindle last night, got bored half way through, but DH was watching something gory on the TV. Thank goodness it was free.
I did love Scarlett Ohara though, very imperfect and sassy and she got her come uppance.
PS, unbelievable that our ‘perfect’ heroine Maya, spilt the beans anonymously on her Company, I don’t think she would have done that.

Teetime Tue 27-Feb-18 13:39:45

Yes but the poor love got so upset after she had received £800 per 'revelation' she had to give it up - she wasn't ever worried about working for a fashion mag in the first place. It is a boring book but I have to stay in until the end wont let myself give up.
Scarlett O'hara is my all time favourite heroine!! I like to think I have had my Scarlett moments!! I was hoping for a few more.

Oopsadaisy12 Tue 27-Feb-18 13:55:53

I won’t spoil the end of the book for you Teetime, I’m sure you will never guess what happens.
I have my odd Scarlett moments, usually when there is no one else around!

Tegan2 Tue 27-Feb-18 14:03:31

Becky Sharpe [sp] was the first anti heroine I came upon.

Jane10 Tue 27-Feb-18 14:42:38

I love Britt Marie in the book 'Britt Marie was here'. She's so buttoned up and restricted but tries so hard. Most endearing.
I also enjoy books with unreliable narrators eg 'Gillespie and me'. Argh. Both authors names have eluded me!!