Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Kindle unlimited

(15 Posts)
celialillian Sat 26-May-18 18:28:46

I have a Kindle HD. I have had it for several years, I read it in bed every night, nothing could be better than to get cosy with a good read. I love it and find it easier to read with poor eyesight. I have it set to the right size text to suit my eyes. I have my favourite music on it and free magazines from the library.I can email with it and search the web. I have also bought a smaller version of the Kindle for travelling which I can fit into my bag, and continue with the books I am reading at home. They are a great comfort for people with poor eyesight.

lemongrove Fri 11-May-18 10:03:09

Good tip Floradora smile

lemongrove Fri 11-May-18 10:02:36

Love my Kindle but still love real books too, so still buy paperbacks ( hardbacks too difficult to hold.)

Day6 Fri 11-May-18 09:59:04

I do most of my reading these days on a Kindle Fire tablet. Never thought I would. I was always in favour of 'proper' books but I tend to order all my reading stuff via Amazon these days. I have a Prime account and now Prime reading is free too, but the selection of books is fairly limited. I always find a few I fancy though and love that I can go away with books of all varieties on a lightweight tablet. This is one road I thought I'd never go down, but I am a convert.

hildajenniJ Fri 11-May-18 09:50:06

I woke up this morning with part of The Song of Hiawatha in my head. I picked up my kindle and downloaded it free.
At school, we had to learn fairly long tracts of this poem, and I couldn't get Hiawatha's chickens out of my head.

Coolgran65 Fri 11-May-18 09:30:55

Love my kindle fire HD. It is synched with my iPhone so I can pick up and put down reading a book between the two.
It really is a tablet and I use it so much rather than switch on the computer. All for around £80..... Or cheaper.I

When seeking books I limit my Amazon search to 5* ratings and generally free or occasionally 99p.

annodomini Fri 11-May-18 09:17:23

I don't need a light source for my Kindle Paperwhite. It is back-lit. The downside of the Paperwhite is that it needs to be re-charged more often than my original Kindle. I also read on my KIndle Fire and on my laptop. The facility to change font size is a very useful feature.

MichaelDismukes Fri 11-May-18 08:27:31

I use kindle on my samsung tablet and its quiet comfortable. Even if you use kindle on small screen it always come an option of formatting the text size.

jimbabcock Thu 26-Apr-18 06:07:08

First it depends on what you have. If you have a smart phone, tablet (iPad or Android), Kindle or a computer (laptop or desktop), you can see text based books on all of them because you can change the size of the text to match what the device displays and you require.

Not all devices that can show a Kindle book can show graphics or show color. Kindles use an amazing technology called "liquid paper" that works like regular paper.

What this means is they do not require constant power to display a page and they work MUCH better in bright light. However when you want to read a page in the dark, you need a light source to see the page just like a printed page. Kindles tend to be more specialized devices, designed to be used for readers, which tends to mean lower weight and radically longer battery life.

By contrast, iPads and Android devices are much more flexible in what they can do (including color graphics and movies, better sound, and color).

It is all about selecting the device that makes the most sense for what you intend to use it for. Do not choose a hammer to put in screws. LOL

Nanabilly Wed 25-Apr-18 10:30:51

I don't think any of the kindles are smaller than a normal paperback size .
You can change text size to suit the eyesight if it's set too small.
My husband asked me for years of I wanted a kindle and I kept saying no i enjoy books but now I've got one I much prefer it and you never lose your page.

mamamags Wed 25-Apr-18 10:14:57

I prefer to Use my kindle in favour of apple iPad.
The screen in daylight is much easier to view.

jusnoneed Sun 22-Apr-18 09:54:17

I read on both my Kindle and iPad, the Kindle is much lighter to hold if your friend's going to be using it for any length of time and easier to slip in a bag. Plus the battery life is much better. Just tell your friend to alter the size of the text to suit her.

Humbertbear Sun 22-Apr-18 08:54:28

It doesn’t matter how big the Kindle is as you can change the size of the text, as on a smart phone

Lovetopaint037 Sun 22-Apr-18 08:51:07

How big is your kindle. My friend has had one given to her but it is so small that she can’t imagine reading on it. I have an iPad so can you get kindles in a comparable size?

Floradora9 Tue 06-Mar-18 10:24:50

If you go the site you can get a month'a free access at the moment. As soon as you have done this go in and cancel it. you still get the month but no chance of being charged for the next month. I love it because it has so many biographies . If you start reading one and think you would not enjoy it you just get ride of it. You get ten books at a time .