Gransnet forums

Books/book club

For a 9 year old

(92 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 30-Mar-18 11:55:51

Advice on how to wean a 9 year old off Enid Blyton? She reads loads of EB books and while it's good that she enjoyed reading and devours these by the bucketload, I'd like her to have some variety. Can anyone suggest a classic she would enjoy? She's a lovely girl, enjoys dancing and the piano. If I pick the wrong Classic it might put her off. Any idea?
Must admit I was hooked on EB too!

Elrel Sat 31-Mar-18 14:12:38

Jacqueline Wilson's Hetty Feather series were a huge hit with DGD for years.
There are so many books I could suggest but so can your local library and bookshop staff. New books are being published all the time.
Some schools and libraries have suggested fiction reading lists for each year.
Terence Blacker's Ms Wiz series about a magic teacher were very popular with Y4 and Y5 classes I taught, short easily read books.
Chris Riddell's illustrations enhance his stories. His quirky Goth Girl series is gorgeously produced.
David Walliams' books are contemporary and very popular.
Michael Morpurgo has written books for a range of ages, some, but not all, would be appropriate for a 9 year old.

I hope that you and your granddaughter enjoy choosing books together.

kathyd Sat 31-Mar-18 14:11:28

If she watched the Call the Midwife series she might like the Sue Barton nurse books by Helen dore Bolyston. Published in the 1930s to 40s I think. Regarded as history books now I suppose!

annodomini Sat 31-Mar-18 13:57:17

The Lemony Snicket ' series of unfortunate events' books are just right for her age group. Otherwise, have a look at the web site www. lovereading4kids which gives recommendations for age groups and you are sure to find something she would enjoy. There are reviews by children on the site too.

SpringyChicken Sat 31-Mar-18 13:53:52

Mallory Blackman writes for children and teens, they were popular with my daughter. What about C S Lewis (The Lion,The Witch and The Wardrobe etc). Also, Goodnight Mr Tom, The Secret Garden, Stig Of The Dump, Taking her to a bookshop is a good idea but also libraries do a lot for children these days.

KaazaK Sat 31-Mar-18 13:42:56

I was and always have been an avid reader from a very young age. I loved Enid Blyton and was certainly reading her books after the age of 9. I also loved any books about horses in particular The Brumby books and the Flicka books. The Wind in the Willows was another favourite. The Little White Horse was another. I'm sure a visit to a book shop together to choose some books would be a lovely experience for you both. I am so pleased all my 4 grandchildren love books!

123kitty Sat 31-Mar-18 13:41:05

She's reading, as long as she's happy let her get on with reading EB, she'll move on when she's ready.

Sheilasue Sat 31-Mar-18 13:26:30

Any books to do with dance, ballet etc. Michael Murpurgo books are lovely, the butterfly lion my gd loved and when I Was TA the teacher in that year that your d is in read it to the class. Don’t think EB is really suitable nowadays.

sweetcakes Sat 31-Mar-18 13:23:50

I started off with the famous five & secret seven but progressed to Malcome Saville and the lone pine five series so good. Why don't you take her to waterstones and have a browse she can sit and look through a few and see if any take her fancy? My granddaughter just loves books she's also nine she has finished all the Harry Potter books Jacqueline Wilson and now has started a series about hero cats!

Jalima1108 Sat 31-Mar-18 13:16:44

I loved the 'Susan' books by Jane Shaw and at that age found them very funny.

Apparently there were several in the series but I only had about three but I'm not sure if they are still in print.

Jalima1108 Sat 31-Mar-18 13:11:14

I read every Enid Blyton book that came out at that age - but by 10 I had moved on to books about ponies, although I still liked the Mallory Towers and St Clare series by EB.

There's a whole world of books out there and it's just a case of finding out what appeals to her. You could try buying her a couple of 'classics' such as The Borrowers, Charlotte's Web etc then there are the more modern books such as Harry Potter, David Walliams, The Tree House Books etc.

www.booktrust.org.uk/booklists/1/100-best-books-9-11/

Myym Sat 31-Mar-18 13:02:53

Why would you want to wean a 9 year old off of Enid Blyton books?
I presume you mean the Famous Five, Secret Seven, Mallory Towers books from EB and not the Noddy series aimed at younger children.
EB books are aimed at your GD age group. Some of the contents may be deemed a little old fashioned in today's society and dismissed by several minority groups as being un-PC ! However, on the whole EB writes using an eclectic mix of vocabulary and generally gives the message that children should show respect and manners to others.
Would so many 'adventures' happen to the same bunch of children in real life? No, but in real life would divorce, murder, disasters and the many other scenarios that seem to happen weekly in trashy TV Soap-land really happen to one small community? Definitely not, yet the soaps are avidly watched by many.
Be thankful that your GD has a hunger to read books, an activity sadly lacking in so many of the youth today with their distraction of computer games.
I read an EB everyday from the time I could read until I was in my early teens at boarding school. It opened up the world of the written word, my school reports always stating how my reading level was far in advance of my peer group.
I remain an avid reader, I'm a published writer and I would still read and enjoy an EB book if there was one in front of me.
Your GD will know when she is ready to try other authors but at the tender age of 9 please allow her to enjoy reading the books that she wants to read without criticism.

durhamjen Sat 31-Mar-18 12:54:35

Other book companies are available, too.

www.hive.co.uk

When my youngest granddaughter was nine she was reading Harry Potter.

goldengirl Sat 31-Mar-18 12:44:59

I use The Book People www.thebookpeople.co.uk . They categorise their books and they're well priced too. Many of the books carry reviews which are helpful. I've bought lots from this company for all ages which have been well received.

lovebooks Sat 31-Mar-18 12:37:31

If it's still available, I'd recommend Penny Dolan's MOUSE - perfect for her age group and very exciting, with brilliant line illustrations. She's an amazing storyteller. Maybe your local library?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 31-Mar-18 12:10:52

Have you tried taking her to the children's section of the local library to choose her own books?

She'll grow out of Enid Blyton soon; as others have said, the main thing is that she is reading books. Trying to get her away from her current favourite might just make her fed up of reading and you don't want that.

GabriellaG Sat 31-Mar-18 12:00:23

How about the What Katy Did series or Heidi, Heidi Grows Up and Heidi's Children by Johanna Spyri (translated by Charles Tritten) or Little House On The Prairie?
Toad Of Toad Hall? It depends on age and reading ability. If she wants to stretch her capabilities there's The Water Babies but I loved (and still have) all the Mallory Towers, Famous Five and Secret Seven series of books alongside the ones I've suggested to you and many many others. It's wonderful to have a love of the written word in book form.
I loathe Kindle. It's soulless.

chrissyh Sat 31-Mar-18 11:50:04

It may be old fashioned now, but I loved Heidi.

vickya Sat 31-Mar-18 11:32:58

Another vote for Arthur Ransome and what about the Chalet School books By E Brentdyer. She did Channel Island ones too, and then Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsong and Dragonsinger, those are the teenager ones, but DragonFlight is the first Pern book.

kitnsimon Sat 31-Mar-18 11:26:44

The important thing is that she is reading !

Legs55 Sat 31-Mar-18 11:17:29

I'm a great believer that reading any book that children enjoy is important. I read some Enid Blyton as a child, loved Famous Five & Secret Seven; Chalet School & Mallory Towers; Ballet Shoes; classics like Heidi & Black Beauty. I too moved on to Agatha Christie.

DGS1 who is 8 loves David Walliams books & Horrid Henry, I have to ask DD what he's into as their tastes can change. I buy 1 or 2 books every Birthday & Christmas. I have just started DS2's book collection (10 months) with Julia Donaldson books (Gruffalo etc), now I've to find the ones we didn't buy for DGS1.

A visit to a Library or Charity Shops is a brilliant idea, also check out the Supermarkets if you take her shopping.

Terrystred Sat 31-Mar-18 11:15:23

My EB mad daughter also loved the Ramona books, and read every one of the series in the back of the car during a California road trip. (Amazingly no car sickness). She's still an avid reader as a adult and likes a wide range of books. I would let your GD read whatever she likes as if reading is a pleasure not a chore she will always love it

David1968 Sat 31-Mar-18 11:15:16

I agree with Skwkl - try "The Secret Garden" - a wonderful classic story by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Also "A Little Princess" by the same author. Both have an air of mystery within them as part of the story. A wonderful series is the "Little House on the Prarie" books. These were written (for children) by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and they tell the story of her childhood in the pioneering 1800s west USA. Much better than the (rather sacharine) TV series of the same name. I loved all these books, as does my DGD.

raggyanna Sat 31-Mar-18 11:14:41

If a child enjoys reading that is good, we all need something tried and trusted, it sounds as if she has a full life and relaxing with Enid Blyton sounds good.
My oldest daughter read every Enid Blyton she could find.....then every horsey book, moved on to Agatha Christie and !!!!Barbara Cartland!!! Then she went to uni, 1st class in politics, CEO local government, now study for law exams! The really really important bit of this ramble is if your GD enjoys reading trust her she will enlarge her tastes as she matures!

Apricity Sat 31-Mar-18 11:11:52

I loved EB books as a child and still have the original books I spent all my Xmas and birthday money on in the 1950s. I have continuesd as a voracious but somewhat wider reader ever since then. No need to wean anyone off EB. When she has had enough EB she will explore and discover other authors and most importantly she will have retained her love of reading. Never, ever destroy the love of reading. Reading is about exploring our own worlds not someone else's world or what they think we "should" read.

goose1964 Sat 31-Mar-18 11:10:18

I was not allowed to read Enid Blyton as my teacher father thought she kept children at a low reading age. At that age I loved the Hobbit, Heidi and Avalanche!

She's probably ready for the first Harry Potter or two but not the later oned