Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Lido

(11 Posts)
scrapgran Wed 18-Jul-18 19:56:33

I received this as a runner up prize and I loved it. Her descriptions of the characters was fabulous and made them so real. The story was a bit different from my usual reads but it was good to read of a happy story for once

annsixty Thu 28-Jun-18 19:18:24

Oh I feel so guilty, I received a copy but just haven't been able to sit down and concentrate, when I get to bed all I want to do is close my eyes
I shall not enter any more competitions or book club choices for the foreseeable future.

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-Jun-18 19:12:09

Yes, I could see Dame Judi in the film of the book. smile I really enjoyed The Lido. Perfect easy reading for these hot Summer days. It could perhaps have sped up a bit towards the end, but I liked the characters and the feel-good storyline. Freesialover, I felt similarly inspired. I’m a poor swimmer and haven’t been in a pool for years, but felt like digging out the bathing costume again. If only we had a lido in the neighbourhood!

TerriBull Sun 17-Jun-18 21:36:56

Enjoyed it, nice read, without being a great read. Agree with others it had a filmic quality about it. Judi Dench as Rosemary, maybe?

kittylester Sun 17-Jun-18 20:55:58

This was not my usual type of book and, as someone else said, I would not have chosen to read it but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree, it would make a great film.

Thebeeb Sun 17-Jun-18 20:40:32

Enjoyed it but nothing special. Easy reading.

Atqui Sun 10-Jun-18 17:01:57

I have finished the book ,but I couldn't wait to get to the end- not because I wanted to know what happened, as the story was very predictable, but because it was so slow. It would not have been out of place in my grandmother's Woman's Weekly. Having said that, the plot would probably make a good film.

Freesialover Sun 03-Jun-18 13:58:39

I too received this as a runner up. The ‘blurb’ didn’t grab me and I probably wouldn’t have chosen to read it otherwise but I really enjoyed it. I can’t remember when a fictional character had such an affect on me - Rosemary is such an inspirational character (perhaps many of us need a Rosemary in our lives?). I think all the characters were well drawn and the description of the Lido so evocative. I’m writing this as a non swimmer who’s scared of water but I’m now seriously considering signing up for adult swimming classes! I agree with NanaPlenty - a great read.

kittylester Wed 30-May-18 16:33:39

I had one too! I started it at the weekend and am thoroughly enjoying it. I too will report back when I've read it.

Atqui Wed 30-May-18 14:41:25

Oh! I started an identical thread on 25/ 5, but it soon disappeared with no other comments. Anyway, as I said , Imwas lucky enough to receive a copy, which I have just started.Im not sure about the style of writing at the moment, but will report later.

NanaPlenty Wed 30-May-18 10:43:55

I was delighted to receive a copy of this book as a runner up in the recent competition. Before you even begin to read it this book has a very attractive cover. I was hooked from the first page. It is a story about life and love and the things we can sometimes take for granted but that make life worthwhile. The story has two 'main' characters at different ends of the age spectrum, they come to form a great friendship in their efforts to stop the closure of the local Lido. The places and characters in the book bring it alive, you can picture in your mind exactly what the places are like. It is a long time since I have gone through a book so quickly and I am literally sad to have finished it as I have been dipping into it at every available moment over the last few days. A great read.