Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Is anyone able to recommend a book as good as this please?

(141 Posts)
Alima Fri 05-Oct-18 07:21:47

I have just finished “The Heart’s Invisible Furies” by John Boyne. One of those books you don’t want to end. Funny, sad, wonderful. Feel that Cyril Avery is an old friend. Now feeling bereft and cannot find anything I want to read. Help!

Jane10 Wed 02-Jan-19 21:31:17

I've gone back to Barbara Pym. Currently chuckling through 'Crampton Hodnet'. I love social comedies.

BradfordLass72 Wed 02-Jan-19 21:27:09

Yes, nannypiano, I've been reading audio books (only on CD, can't manage the e-readers stuff), for years as I lost my ability to read text some time ago.

I've just finished, 'Breaking News' by Alan Rusbridger ex-editor of The Guardian; then Abbi Waxman's 'Garden of Small Beginnings' which is hilarious .
Both of which I recommend.

The narrator makes a world of difference and some act it out with real feeling, like David Rintoul reading the Douglas Reeman novels about the Royal Navy in wartime.

Others can spoil a really good story with a variety of quirks and the inability to stop posturing and simply read.

Sometimes I actually search a good narrator in our library's online catalogue and then judge whether the content of the book is one I'd enjoy.

annodomini Wed 02-Jan-19 13:40:23

I loved that one too, starbird, so much that I immediately downloaded Allende's 'The Japanese Lover' and enjoyed it too. She creates wonderful characters. My latest read has been Barbara Kingsolver's 'Unsheltered'. Kingsolver can do no wrong in my eyes.

anewilliams5 Wed 02-Jan-19 13:29:24

"A Court of Thorns and Roses" - Gifted by a friend. Really liked it!
bit.ly/2SslCoK

starbird Thu 20-Dec-18 22:51:34

I am now reading ‘In the Midst of Winter’ by Isabel Allende.
Less than half way through but am loving it - quite topical as it includes the story of an illegal immigrant’s journey from South America - a real eye opener.

Greyduster Sat 08-Dec-18 21:59:35

The Heart’s Invisible Furies is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Not my first John Boyne, but certainly the best to date.
Currently reading ‘The American Wife’ by Curtis Sittenfield, and I can’t put it down. Didn’t expect to be so engaged by it.

MargaretX Sat 08-Dec-18 17:54:55

I bought A man called Ove because I read about it on this thread. I found it awful and couldn't finish it.
Its rare to find a good book but I will look at John Boyne on Amazon and get him on Kindle then I can remove him if I don’t like the style.
Did you know that with a Kindle you can return anybook within 10 days but they can tell if you've read it through or not.

starbird Sat 08-Dec-18 14:05:30

I will look out for some of the suggestions on here, have read many of them and also loved ‘All the Light....” and Mike Gale books.

Am currently reading and loving ‘The Snow Child’ by Eowyn Ivey a 99p Kindle book, Richard & Judy bestseller.

Recent good reads ‘The Rules of Seeing’ by Joe Heap, ‘The Salt Path’ by Raynor Winn and ‘Song of the Exile’ Kiana Davenport (all cheap Kindle books at time of buying).

I bought a book in W H Smith called ‘Winter’ about four people meeting in an old house for Christmas. Can’t remember the author but it was nominated for several awards and is a bit different. I would recommend it if you can get it on offer ( I had a book token to spend). Don’t be put off by firsr chapter.

Grannybags Sun 02-Dec-18 09:10:08

I read the Hearts Invisible Furies because of Alimer's post and miss Cyril too! I thought I'd look for something else written by John Boyne as I've never read him before. I hope all his books are as good!

Jane10 Sun 02-Dec-18 08:42:04

What a great idea GrandyC.

mumofmadboys Sun 02-Dec-18 08:31:36

I like books hy Susan Hill especially her recent Simon Serrailler series.

Bookreader2403 Sat 01-Dec-18 23:28:28

I finished The Hearts Invisible Furies today and my heart is heavy. I miss Cyril already! I now have the unenviable task of finding a book anywhere near as good too!

GrandyC Sun 18-Nov-18 17:12:07

I found a copy of A Man Called Ove on a riverbank in France with a message at the front about how the reader had enjoyed it. I read it, loved it, wrote my own message and I left it somewhere to be picked up. Should we do this more regularly?

Fennel Mon 12-Nov-18 21:45:20

Book choice is so personal.
This thread has made me realise I'm an old stuckin the mud.
I currently read old my old favourites.
Plus some about my obsession with WW2. Currently Monty Hall's Escaping Hitler.
And a locally published book Tyneside in WW2 by Craig Armstrong.

GrandyC Mon 12-Nov-18 21:00:10

Walking Apart by Catherine Finch
A book about a couple in their fifties, struggling with the prospect of finishing work.
The fine detail of their lives, the influence of their children and David's aged parents thread the narrative making it very real.
Would appeal to anyone who has worked in education, (Helen is a headteacher) and feels that the powers that be have lost the plot!

Patsy70 Tue 09-Oct-18 22:45:11

Thank you so much for this thread.

Greyduster Tue 09-Oct-18 16:01:36

I have ordered “The Heart’s Invisible Furies” from the library today. Look forward to reading it.

Alexa Mon 08-Oct-18 12:11:39

OldBatty, since you love a saga you may like Mazo de la Roche's Whiteoak family saga, as do I.

oldbatty Mon 08-Oct-18 11:38:13

ooooh PECS love a saga ,me.

annep Mon 08-Oct-18 10:29:15

This is a good thread!

annodomini Mon 08-Oct-18 10:02:47

Our book group read Mornings in Jenin and were all more moved than by any other books we'd read in our many years of reading. I can't recommend it highly enough.

PECS Mon 08-Oct-18 09:27:41

I like Sarah Walters too. Anyone read Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abelwalha? A good family saga.

oldbatty Mon 08-Oct-18 09:17:54

I likes Kate Atkinson,that is the right " level" for me. Interesting and short chapters.

Thanks Alexa.

Alexa Sun 07-Oct-18 23:38:23

OldBatty, I read your post about what you like to read and I thought that you might like the Miss Read stories.

humptydumpty Sun 07-Oct-18 23:26:07

Love the books by Sarah Walters too.