Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The House on Half Moon Street by Alex Reeve

(13 Posts)
trisher Sat 26-Jan-19 11:01:57

Thanks to GN for this book. I have started it. One thing I am pleased about is that I didn't read the cover blurb first but plunged straight in. I advise anyone with this book to do the same. The blurb leaks two of the early events. Finding out about Leo's secret by reading the book was so much more moving. Surely a cover blurb should give clues to secrets and not too much of the plot.

TerriBull Sat 26-Jan-19 19:23:57

I've bought the book it's on my "to read pile", I did look at the blurb before purchasing it, enough to make me want to buy it, but happily I think I've forgotten the essence of that now, so following your tip trisher, I'll try to make a point of remembering to plunge straight in, when I eventually start reading. Thank you.

callgirl1 Sat 26-Jan-19 22:01:25

I also am one who bought this book, and I`ve just finished it. It`s not a thriller, it`s not an historical novel, both of which I love, but it`s a combination of the two. I really enjoyed it, hopefully others will do as well.

callgirl1 Sat 26-Jan-19 22:02:28

Meant to add that I`ll be on the lookout in a few months for the next Leo Stanhope story.

trisher Sun 27-Jan-19 11:00:31

I'm loving it. Just when I think I know who the baddy is there is another twist. I love historical novels with a mystery. This compares well with the Andrew Taylor novels. Have you read Ashes of London callgirl? Thanks for not posting any spoilers by the way.

TerriBull Sun 27-Jan-19 14:19:22

Sorry I'm butting in to your conversation Trisher. I've read "The Ashes of London" by Andrew Taylor but I think he's written better novels, you may have read these "The American Boy" set in London in the early 19th century, "The Scent of Death" set in New York during the American War of Independence and one of my favourites "Bleeding Heart Square" 1930s London in which the Black Shirt fascists feature. All are murder mysteries if I remember rightly and I would recommend them if you like historical novels.

trisher Sun 27-Jan-19 14:36:50

Yes I've read both of them TerriBull I think I preferred "The American Boy" but that's probably beause I have a long term interest in Edgar Allan Poe. I will look for Bleeding Heart Square.
Have you read The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard? Poe again but at West Point Academy.

TerriBull Sun 27-Jan-19 15:05:04

I read The American Boy a while back now, I enjoyed it a lot, have vague memories of Edgar Allan Poe being woven into the narrative that did spark an interest in him at the time, particularly as he died in mysterious circumstances. I'll Google The Pale Blue Eye sounds interesting.

Freeasabird Mon 28-Jan-19 22:06:05

I was lucky enough to win this book in the GN competition. Even though the genre was not my usual reading choice I was pleasantly surprised by the Authors ability to create a realistic atmosphere within the historical setting of London in the 19th century alongside the social aspects of day to day living.This was an ideal backdrop for this thriller type mystery with all its twists and turns. The characters are well drawn. Especially Leo's relationships with his family and friends. Am also looking forward to reading the sequel which is due to be published in the Spring.

trisher Tue 29-Jan-19 15:49:58

Well I have finished it. I almost guessed who did what but still missed the final twist! Leo Stanhope is a great flawed hero with a dark secret. The descriptions of Victorian London and the foul weather are brilliant. The underworld life that Leo explores is troubling and a little scary, but the events resonate with some things in todays world. It's a fairly easy read and would be great for something to take with you on holiday, if you don't mind being scared/disgusted a bit by some of the descriptions and you like historical novels.

Grannyknot Tue 12-Feb-19 06:41:46

Won this book from GN and I've just finished reading it whilst on hols in the Fairest Cape.

Great story, fascinating main character, well written book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bye! Off for a walk now. smile

GeminiJen Wed 13-Feb-19 14:43:58

Thanks to GN for a copy of this book flowers
An excellent debut novel which introduces us to Leo Stanhope, born Charlotte Pritchard; and an interesting read, set in 1880s London. The author takes us into a world of prostitution, abortionists and sexual exploitation.
Absorbing rather than gripping, the book's strength is its evocative description of the seedier side of Victorian London and the perils of being transgender in those times.
I see from the Acknowledgements that Alex Reeve had approached the Beaumont Society, a group run by and for trans people, for advice and feedback on Leo's portrayal. This attention to detail is evident throughout. A good mystery thriller too, with plenty of satisfying twists. I look forward to reading more about Leo's experiences in the author's next novel: The Anarchists' Club.

CHARLEY1 Sat 27-Apr-19 21:36:19

Thanks to GN for a copy of this book. I enjoyed it - a crime thriller with lots of historic detail and a very unusual hero/ine. This is the author's debut novel - I will look forward to reading his next offering