Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Old Baggage

(6 Posts)
toscalily Thu 21-Feb-19 10:05:22

Has anyone else read this? written by Lissa Evans whose book "Their Finest" was made into a film. Main character Mattie of the suffrage movement, intelligent, strong, outspoken & opinionated but kind at heart. I enjoyed this although I felt it lacked direction towards the end.

TerriBull Thu 21-Feb-19 10:14:06

Oh don't say that toscalily it's on my "to read pile" I have high hopes for it, it's been recommended.

toscalily Thu 21-Feb-19 10:50:47

Please don't let me put you off as I have actually just recommended it to a friend. One of her other books "Crooked Heart" also has Mattie in it and that book was written in 2014 but set during the 2nd world war (bit confusing) so I assume the author wanted to expand on her as a character. I am going to put Lissa Evans other books on my reading list.

GeminiJen Thu 21-Feb-19 10:54:43

toscalily This was the GN book of the month for July last year. If you'd like to read what others thought, scroll to the next page to see the thread smile

Jane10 Thu 21-Feb-19 11:10:22

I really enjoyed 'Crooked Heart' and looked forward to 'Old Baggage' but somehow didn't like it as much. Lissa Evans is good writer and really researches her books. She's very good at WW2 background. I first read 'Crooked Heart' after the execrable 'Chilbury ladies choir' and found it had the authority, accuracy and depth the choir book so sadly lacked.

toscalily Thu 21-Feb-19 11:10:57

Thank you GeminiJen, interesting to read others reviews which seem similar to my own thoughts on the book.