Gransnet forums

Books/book club

World Book Day today

(18 Posts)
Gonegirl Thu 07-Mar-19 10:10:03

What are you reading?

I have just started Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Anyone else read it? What are my chances of getting into it? I do like books about Africa.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-Mar-19 10:21:02

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

The second book in The Discovery of Witches trilogy.

I am trying to only read a chapter a day as I want to take it on holiday and then go straight onto the third book.

The genre is out of my comfort zone, but I am thoroughly enjoying the characterisation and historical aspects which have been woven into the story.

Teetime Thu 07-Mar-19 10:31:19

Dinner for Two Mike Gayle- I'm enjoying it.

Sarahmob Thu 07-Mar-19 10:41:25

I studied Heart of Darkness at uni, I found it really hard going.
I’m reading The Tatooist of Auschwitz at the moment.

Alima Thu 07-Mar-19 11:13:54

I am reading The Friend at the moment. (Should be Treasure Island as DGS has gone to school dressed as a pirate. Very good he looked too).

eazybee Thu 07-Mar-19 12:43:13

Good Morning Midnight by Jean Rhys.
To be absolutely honest I am reading it as part of a university course, and last night,when I couldn't sleep, I also read, from my comfort bookshelf, my very old copy of The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer, price two shillings and sixpence.

Gonegirl Thu 07-Mar-19 13:50:20

Two and six! Wow! The oldest of my books seems to be Silas Marner by George Eliot 25p. George Orwell's Coming Up For Air was £2.95. I wouldn't mind reading them again but the print seems to have shrunk!

Daddima Thu 07-Mar-19 16:02:34

The Break by Marian Keyes.

( As an aside, I’m horrified by the pictures on social media of schoolchildren in elaborate costumes. What about the wee souls whose parents don’t have the imagination, skills, time, money , or even the inclination to make or buy outfits?)

chelseababy Thu 07-Mar-19 16:16:25

Broken Ground by Val McDermit. Just finished it and am waiting for the Gransnet March book to arrive!

Bathsheba Thu 07-Mar-19 16:35:09

I'm reading The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes by Ruth Hogan (who wrote The Keeper of Lost Things).

There is already a thread called What are you reading now - been running for quite a while and is on its second thread.
www.gransnet.com/forums/books_book_club/1237668-What-are-you-reading-now-2

M0nica Thu 07-Mar-19 17:38:52

Am I the only person who doesn't read many novels, preferring non-fiction?

I am currently reading (and re-reading) a lot of books about the Battle of Waterloo because we are going on holiday to Belgium in 10 days time and are staying in one of the farms that anchored the battle.

I do also, have The Conqueror, by Georgette Heyer on my Kindle, but that is fill in reading for doctor's surgeries and sleepless nights and I have read it many times before.

Gonegirl Thu 07-Mar-19 17:43:16

Bathsheba this is just an extra thread to mark World Book Day. smile

Elrel Thu 07-Mar-19 18:26:21

Fingers in the Sparkle Jar by Chris Packham. I gave it to my son for Christmas, he said I should read it too.
I don't really appreciate Conrad but doggedly read Heart of Darkness because it was part of the inspiration for Apocalypse Now.

annodomini Thu 07-Mar-19 18:53:27

A Taste for Vengeance by Martin Walker. A former US correspondent for the Guardian now living and writing in France. His detective is Bruno Chief of Police who also doubles as a chef and rugby coach in the small town of St Denis. You get to know the cast of characters if you start at the first book, Death in the Dordogne.

Gonegirl Thu 07-Mar-19 18:56:56

I'm quite enjoying it Elrel. Don't know how long that will last though.

Gonegirl Thu 07-Mar-19 19:07:23

What put me into Heart of Darkness was it was mentioned in The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. That was a really good book, set in The Congo.

Gonegirl Thu 07-Mar-19 19:07:50

onto. Not into

Marmight Thu 07-Mar-19 19:16:52

The Beekeeper's Promise by Fiona Valpy