Gransnet forums

Books/book club

May book club ?

(7 Posts)
Greenfinch Tue 14-May-19 12:39:11

Where is it?
Is there a thread for the May book that was advertised?

Maggiemaybe Tue 14-May-19 19:44:12

It's odd, isn't it, Greenfinch? Especially now that we're nearly halfway through the month and the June book draw is available!

Have any GNers heard that they're getting the May book, How It Ends by Saskia Sarginson, or actually received it?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 14-May-19 20:57:12

Hello, as we’ve now been alerted to the fact the May books haven’t arrived we are chasing to make sure they get to you ASAP. Obviously there will be extra time to read and leave questions - and we will put a thread up then too.

Crocky Thu 16-May-19 13:04:43

Received my copy this morning. Looks very interesting.

joannapiano Thu 16-May-19 13:39:43

Thank you for my copy. Shall start it tonight.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 17-May-19 21:03:59

Just a reminder that we have a proper thread for this now so do leave your thoughts and questions there

Crocky Tue 21-May-19 10:33:04

How it Ends by Saskia Sarginson
I ended up enjoying the book, but how it ends was infinitely better than how it began!

To begin with the story is set on an American Air Force in 1957 and moves to a farm in Norfolk. The main characters are an American Air Force family of Father a war hero, Mother a British woman and fraternal twins of boy and girl.

The gothic style writing and the angst and problems of the characters builds up the feeling of that something bad is happening in Book 1.

It was only almost half way through the book with the more everyday characters in the shape of Mrs Rose and Peter that the story began to lighten and move towards a conclusion in Books 2 and 3.

I would have liked to more detail of what was going on at the base and less about the minor issues of some of the other characters.

My question to Saskia is :-
Why was there no substantial male character in the book to act as counter balance to the damaged ones?