Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Phillip Kerr

(4 Posts)
Qwerty Fri 28-Jun-19 23:39:06

Does anyone else like his novels? It's such a shame he died recently. I am looking forward to reading "Metropolis", the only one of his I haven't read yet. His books are so atmospheric and capture the eras he writes about so well. Then I'm going to try Jane Thynne's books, his wife.

grannydarkhair Sat 17-Aug-19 23:00:07

I love his Bernie Gunther books, BG is a wonderful character. And yes, they are so evocative of those years. I haven't read "Metropolis" either nor any of his stand alone books.
Another author who writes about events in/around Europe before/during WW2 is Alan Furst. His books are equally enjoyable.

Lucylastic Fri 30-Aug-19 20:40:24

Just found this thread and wanted to add that I too love Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels and have read every one several times.
Very sad that this talented author has died - such an exceptional story teller whose meticulous research on WW11 Berlin enriched every page of his work.
For those who enjoyed Philip Kerr's material, I suggest having a look at David Downing's Station series. His central character is an American journalist caught up in the intrigues of the Nazi regime in Berlin. Cracking stories.

trisher Fri 30-Aug-19 20:49:33

Love the Bernie Gunther novels, just got another one out the library-Prussian Blue. Didn't know he had died. How sad.