Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Re-reading

(27 Posts)
CanadianGran Thu 10-Oct-19 21:21:21

I am currently re-reading The Shell Seekers by Roasmund Pilcher. There was a discussion here last week about comfort books, so I looked for this title at the library.

What a wonderful book, thank you to whomever suggested it! I read it years ago, and am enjoying it immensely again.

KatyK Fri 18-Oct-19 10:16:30

I've only ever re-read one book and it's To Kill a Mockingbird. I love it.

boodymum67 Mon 14-Oct-19 13:13:32

Hi, great to see how much you enjoyed re-reading Shell Seekers. Over the years I have had periods of reading one book after another.....rarely have I not enjoyed any book. Then I can go months or even a whole year without reading.

I`m on a new path of reading a lot again. I prefer biographies of famous people or true stories...eg Angela`a Ashes. I`ve just read Billy, by his wife Pamela Stephenson. Billy was fantastic...love that guy. Then I read Listening to the Animals....by Noel Fitzpatrick, Supervet. What a wonderful man...but he`ll never find the true OH he really needs....he`s too dedicated to his patients. Shame!

I`ve also read Pamela`s own bio.....what a surprise to read about all her life adventures! And she`s been on so many. She isnt `just` Billy Connolly`s wife!

I`m about to start Marie Curie and her Daughters.

Happy reading everyone. What a great escape!

tiredoldwoman Mon 14-Oct-19 12:30:52

I've just re read The Consequences of Marriage by Isla Dewar , I loved both readings of it .

Lupin Mon 14-Oct-19 11:03:17

I love The Far Pavilions too and have re-read it several times. I find my imagination taking the story on to other scenarios.
Read Jane Eyre a few years ago for a book group and found Mr Rochester a bit sinister. These days he could be accused of grooming but in the end prefer to think of him redeemed by true love.

BlueSapphire Sun 13-Oct-19 12:12:00

Ooh, just remembered I frequently re-read Somerset Maugham's short stories.

Fennel Fri 11-Oct-19 15:47:21

Thanks Alima smile.
I'll have a look on Amazon Books UK

Alima Fri 11-Oct-19 15:20:31

Richard Llewelyn Fennel. I remember it from the shelves in our school library.

sodapop Fri 11-Oct-19 12:40:34

I loved The Citadel too SueDonim great writing,

Fennel Fri 11-Oct-19 12:23:57

SueDonim AJ Cronin - that brings back memories.
Who wrote How Green was my Valley? Another old favourite which I would like to re-read.
And another one about poverty in the Salford area, can't remember the name.
I re-read many favourites. Nostalgia.

Amagran Fri 11-Oct-19 11:48:08

As with many previous posters, I rarely re-read books, but I will never tire of re-reading Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice - they are somehow in my psyche.

I have also enjoyed re-reading A Town Like Alice, SueDomin and thank you BlueSapphire for reminding me about The Far Pavilions I think I would like to re-read that too.

Having said that I rarely re-read books, I am about to re-read some of Mary Renault's books, starting with The King Must Die.

Sara65 Fri 11-Oct-19 11:32:33

Alima

Something so wonderfully nostalgic about those books.

Alima Fri 11-Oct-19 11:06:50

I am re reading The Avenue Goes to War by RF Delderfield. Re read The Dreaming Suburb a few weeks ago. Last read these before I left home and when my Dad was still alive so it would have been pre 1973. They do so remind me of him. Have often re read most of Delderfield’s others. The Avenue books have escaped me even though I have remembered Boxer always saying “whatdysay Bernie, whatdysay”. Pure nostalgia.

SueDonim Fri 11-Oct-19 10:43:32

I don't often reread books but this year I've read A Town Like Alice (Neville Shute) and The Citadel (AJ Cronin). Some of the attitudes are dated but the writing is very fine indeed.

We read Jane Eyre for my book group a couple of years ago. We all had very different views on it from those we had as teenagers! All of us had forgotten the bit about her running away and meeting the missionary. confused

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Oct-19 09:39:51

Oh dear I shall own up that every couple of years I reread Jilly Coopers "Rupert Campbell Black" books from "Riders" all the way through to the last one "Mount"

I appreciate that they are not literary classics, but the characters are like old friends.

Fennel Fri 11-Oct-19 09:18:20

I have a book of Damon Runyon short stories - Guys and Dolls. I often re-read them, so witty.

Sara65 Fri 11-Oct-19 09:16:55

I hardly ever reread, I’ve got such a pile of new unread books, that I haven’t got time to reread any! But on the occasions that I do, I’m always amazed at how much I’ve forgotten.
Some books have been so special to me, that I’ll never reread them, in case they don’t mean so much second time around.

sodapop Fri 11-Oct-19 09:07:21

I rarely re-read a book, the only authors I do read more than once are Diana Gabaldon and C J Sansom. There is such a wealth of detail in their books, its easy to miss things on the first reading.

chicken Fri 11-Oct-19 09:00:02

I have just re read the first four Jackson Brodie books by Kate Atkinson and have been promised the loan of the latest one by a friend. Convoluted plots but all the ends get tied up, and characters from one story pop in to another book, and the laconic style has me laughing out loud in places.

The book I have re read most often is "The Vizard Mask" by Diana Norman, such a wonderful book about the Great Plague, the Restoration , the theatre in the time of Charles 11 (Nell Gwynn and all that) but all seen through the eyes of an ordinary (extra-ordinary) woman. I can't recommend it highly enough. Do look out for it---copies are sometimes on A....n .

BlueSapphire Fri 11-Oct-19 08:43:06

Rarely re-read a book, but I may return one day to 'The Far Pavilions' by M M Kaye. Read it when I was pregnant with DS (he is now 40!'), and loved it. Oh and I re-read all the Little Women series a couple of years ago, and was shocked at the attitude towards women at that time, so, so sexist. Of course the first time I read it I must have been about 10 and not 'woke', to use a dreadful modern expression.

Calendargirl Fri 11-Oct-19 07:30:41

I never tire of Gone With The Wind. Although a really long book, it never drags, I just whip through the chapters, always hoping somehow that Scarlet will realise Rhett is her soulmate, not drippy Ashley.
Another book I recently re-read, Nice Work by David Lodge. Humorous, realistic, a good read.

Sara65 Fri 11-Oct-19 06:54:13

I reread Wuthering Heights this year after hearing it on the radio, and realising how much of it I’d forgotten.
Also A Kind of Loving by Stan Barstow, still have my school copy, we thought at the time it was a very grown up book, I liked it more second time around, when I wasn’t just obsessed with the sex scenes.

Urmstongran Thu 10-Oct-19 22:57:50

I think one of my favourite books of all time is ‘The Great Gatsby’. Each time I re-read it I find something in it that makes me enjoy it more!

I read ‘The Shell Seekers’ maybe 30 years ago. Yes, a very readable book but the mother was a bit stingy .... she was very much one for thinking her children ought to be self sufficient yet SHE inherited the painting(s) and wasn’t much for sharing as I recall! Double standards I thought when I read it.

Mind you I wonder what I’d think about it now if I re-read it?

Pittcity Thu 10-Oct-19 22:25:03

You're right SueDonim. She died in February.

SueDonim Thu 10-Oct-19 21:47:38

I thought Rosamund Pilcher was dead?

Her books are very soothing. I gave a copy of TSS to my daughter. I might steal it back from her!

grannylyn65 Thu 10-Oct-19 21:34:43

Rosamund is a relative of my ex, she’s a lovely lady and has a stunning home ?