Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Could be topical . . .

(10 Posts)
Elegran Wed 16-Oct-19 17:34:50

The book has some interesting comments from MPs about what it is like to be representing your constituency at Westminster. For most, it isn't what they expected. How are you getting on reading it, Urmstongran?

Worenny Wed 16-Oct-19 17:19:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Elegran Sun 13-Oct-19 14:45:10

The Kindle version is no longer £1.19, it is £5.69. Still not breaking the bank.

Auntieflo Sun 13-Oct-19 14:17:09

Ahhh, that'll be it then Elegran .

Teach me to read the OP properly!!! ?

Elegran Sun 13-Oct-19 09:50:37

His recipes are gorgeous, though. My DinL made his mushroom risotto - absolutely delicious (though it did mean she'd to buy several kinds of exotic mushrooms, cream etc, and spend hours in the kitchen)

The one I missed was Ottolenghi Simple (Kindle version now "only" £9.99)
The blurb says "These brilliant, flavour-forward dishes are all SIMPLE in at least one (but very often more than one) way:
S – short on time: less than 30 minutes
I – 10 ingredients or less [!!!!!! only 10 ingredients !!!!!?????]
M – make ahead
P – pantry
L – lazy "
Some of the recipes are on the net and sound lovely. Actually, those had about 3 or 4 ingredients, so I might try them.

Urmstongran Sun 13-Oct-19 09:27:44

Maybe a good job you missed that Ottolenghi cookbook Elegran you’d have had to take out a second mortgage to buy the ingredients!

Elegran Sun 13-Oct-19 09:22:47

Auntieflo I was quoting the Kindle price. The paperback was more (probably £7.19, but I only noticed the £1.19)

Kindle Daily Deal sometimes has some real bargains - I just missed getting an Ottolenghi cookbook for 99p by not acting on the day.

Auntieflo Sun 13-Oct-19 08:28:48

I just looked it up and it was £7.19 ?
Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Urmstongran Sat 12-Oct-19 21:30:50

Thank you Elegran for sharing this and at that amazingly low price (less than a magazine!) I shall order a copy now for my Kindle.

Elegran Sat 12-Oct-19 21:24:41

I have just ordered this, haven't read it yet but it may throw some light on "the strange world of Westminster and . . . why we end up with representatives with whom we are so unhappy" Why We Get the Wrong Politicians (Amazon's Kindle Daily Deal £1.19)

Reviews
Hardman's well-written, incisive book provides a good compass with which to navigate this changing landscape, The Times

A fast-paced, intelligent dissection of modern politics, packed full of juicy anecdotes and insider knowledge, Helen Lewis, New Statesman

A must-read for anyone who wants to change the way they think about politicians and how they vote., Evening Standard

Invaluable for those who think they know what's wrong with Westminster but have no idea how to put it right, John Humphrys – Presenter, Today Programme

A fascinating insider's view., Daily Mirror

A must-read for anyone who wants a better Parliament. Crammed with insight and gossip, it will hopefully provoke the Westminster bubble to clean itself up -- Asa Bennet, Daily Telegraph

With humour and humanity, Isabel Hardman lifts the lid on the Houses of Parliament... This book has the power to fundamentally change how we do things in this country, Emily Maitlis – Presenter, Newsnight

Riveting, Daily Telegraph

A rich experience., Guardian, summer books