Gransnet forums

Books/book club

We must be Brave by Frances Liardet

(8 Posts)
CassieJ Sun 17-Nov-19 17:54:11

I received this book from Gransnet and asked to post a review. Thank you for the book.

A young child is found on a bus during an evacuation during WW2. The story focuses on Ellen who finds Pamela and Ellen's marriage to Selwyn, her much older husband.

I did enjoy the book, but feel the writing is disjointed which made it difficult to follow at times. I would have liked the story to follow Pamela and Ellen more during the post war years. A good story none the less.

Persistentdonor Mon 25-Nov-19 14:31:45

I received a copy of the book on 13th November, for which I thank you.

I have found the opening chapters most evocative, and revealing, as while I feel I know a lot about those times, the real dangers of breaking the blackout, for example, come across so clearly. And the endless gnawing hunger and scratching around to produce meals!

I particularly enjoyed the description of Mrs Berrow waking the sleeping child and getting her name divulged. I am assuming Ms Liardet has seen this done, for surely you couldn't make it up?

otiva Sun 08-Dec-19 09:23:39

I was delighted to receive my book in Spain.

This is the first book by Frances Liardet and I enjoyed it. Emotional and well researched, the characters linger for days in my thoughts.

WW11 is the backdrop to the story of Pamela, a small child alone on a bus. Found by Ellen who has never felt she wanted children she tries to find Pamela’s mother.
As the book evolves we see how love changes that, bonds are formed and lives are changed.

It’s a little predictable but a good read to snuggle up with on the sofa as I have the last couple of afternoons.

Would make a lovely present. Thanks so much for the book, it was a super surprise.

Persistentdonor Mon 09-Dec-19 12:45:59

I have now finished this marvellous novel.
It is not often I am in total agreement with comments on book covers, but YES, this is genuinely "intensely moving" and "inexpressibly tender".
Well done Frances Liardet.

Daisyboodle Tue 10-Dec-19 13:16:00

Thank you so much for my copy of this wonderful book. It is, essentially, a book about normal people doing their best in the most extraordinary circumstances they were forced into through no choice of their own. The daily grinding monotony of "making do" in wartime (such as the removal of the rubber innertube in the bicycle tyres unless for emergencies) and the constant hunger I found incredibly moving and evocative. The poverty of Ellens' latter childhood in stark contrast to her early childhood was written without exaggeration or mawkishness. And of course most of all it is a book about the pain of love lost - searching for signs, seeing reminders in everyday items such as the sheepskin and the weathervane - using physical items as touchstones for love and memories must resonate with so many.
The beauty of the writing and turn of phrase stops this novel becoming too sentimental.
Ellen's life could have been seen by so many outsiders as one of endurance but of course to her, and to us, her life was so enriched by love found in the most unusual of circumstances.

Mythbirtthedragon Wed 11-Dec-19 07:27:10

Thanks for the opportunity to read this book. I’m afraid I didn’t take to it as others have done and I’m not sure if this is because it didn’t seem ‘real’ to me. My knowledge of the domestic side of WWII is based on my mam’s experiences as a young woman in Northumberland and I don’t feel the hardships of the times came through. I would also have liked more on what happened in the post war years and did find it predictable.

nanahil Thu 12-Dec-19 12:10:51

So enjoyed this book. Thankyou.
I have recommended it to several friends.It addresses several complex issues sensitively.

EastEndGranny Fri 13-Dec-19 10:26:58

A very readable book with lots of interesting detail describing how hard life was during the thirties and forties. It was very sad that characters felt unable to say what they really felt and that people’s ‘best intentions’ lead to heart ache. I cried at the ending!!!! Thank you for my copy!