Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Would anyone be prepared?

(19 Posts)
Antonia Thu 19-Dec-19 23:16:26

I hope this is allowed, and if not then please delete, but I was wondering if anyone would kindly read the first chapter of my book and give me honest feedback? I would love to be published, although I know that it is very difficult for an unknown author.
My book is a memoir, beginning in 1969 with a school exchange visit to France, and covers the time I spent in France when I moved there with my husband.
I would like the entire book to be proofread, but looking at the prices, it would cost over £1000 and I can't afford that sort of money on a book that may never find a publisher. If anyone is willing, then I can send the first chapter as a word document attachment to an email address. Of course, if anyone is looking for a similar service then I am happy to give feedback on your own book. Thank you to anyone who replies!

Flamingo Sat 21-Dec-19 09:00:31

I would be willing to proof read your first chapter if you like.I enjoy reading daily, many different styles of books. I have experience of proof reading reports, documents and minutes but not books, is this any assistance to you?

ladymuck Sat 21-Dec-19 10:24:59

I'm an avid reader and would be happy to read your book. However, I'm pretty fussy about correct English, one of the reasons I avoid American authors.
I enjoy biographies...nothing like learning about the lives of others and their particular view of things.

Antonia Tue 31-Dec-19 12:05:46

Hi Flamingo
Thank you very much for your reply, and I have sent you a pm.

Antonia Tue 31-Dec-19 15:51:12

Hi ladymuck Thank you very much for agreeing to read my book! I have sent you a pm, and sorry for the late reply.

evianers Fri 17-Jan-20 20:02:51

It would be a delight, as we have only just returned from living in France, so can view the first chapter of your book with a certain amount of knowledge of what life in France is all about. Please feel free to send a private message. We now live in Dorset, previously Evian-les-Bains [obviously]!

Patsy70 Fri 17-Jan-20 21:05:40

Antonia, I would be very happy to read your first chapter, as I love France and am an avid reader. Please feel free to pm me, and many thanks for the opportunity.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 17-Jan-20 21:10:32

I would love to read your first chapter, I’m a real bookworm

Antonia Tue 21-Jan-20 09:32:50

Thank you very much for agreeing to read the chapter of my book, and sorry for the late reply. I have sent you a pm with a link to it.

Antonia Tue 21-Jan-20 09:34:49

Thank you to all of you who have agreed to read the first chapter of my book, it is very much appreciated, and I have sent the link in private messages.

ladymuck Tue 21-Jan-20 09:59:04

Antonia, I sent you my e-mail address but have heard nothing more from you.
I was looking forward to reading your book.

Antonia Tue 21-Jan-20 17:14:02

Hi ladymuck I'm so sorry that I didn't see your email address, and thank you again for offering to read my book, it is very kind of you. I have sent you a pm with a link to it. Many thanks again, Antonia

Flamingo Tue 21-Jan-20 17:42:42

Hi Antonia I have sent you my email address and not received the link, could you send it again please

Antonia Mon 03-Feb-20 13:04:44

Many thanks to all of you who read a chapter of my book, your comments were much appreciated. The book is now published, so if anyone would like details I will be happy to send you a link if you pm me.

Urmstongran Mon 03-Feb-20 13:53:27

CONGRATULATIONS ‼️. ?

Antonia Mon 03-Feb-20 13:57:05

Thank you Urmstongran Much appreciated!

Mandy5 Thu 27-Feb-20 22:17:34

I’d love to read your book and give feedback x

Daisyanswerdo Thu 27-Feb-20 22:24:53

I'm a professional proofreader/editor with over 20 years' experience. Please let me know if you'd like me to help with the first chapter of your book.

Corryanna Wed 05-Aug-20 14:00:15

Antonia, I would love to read your book, as I'm an avid reader of several different genres. I'd be happy to buy your book if I could read a little bit about it, to see if I'd enjoy the book (I'm not asking for a freebie here!). Please PM if you're interested in following my request.