Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Haven't They Grown: January Book Club

(64 Posts)
SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Jan-20 15:32:34

Hi everyone,

Our January book club pick is Haven't They Grown by Sophie Hannah.

The books should be with our winners now. If you get a free copy, make sure you leave your questions and comments for Sophie on this thread by the end of January.

Feel free to join in the discussion even if you didn't get your hands on one of our giveaway copies but are reading it nonetheless - be sure to add your questions for Sophie too.

Happy reading!

annemac101 Thu 27-Feb-20 11:53:11

Thanks Sophie for taking the time to rely. It's great seeing the answers to all the different questions that were in my head when reading the book.

GeminiJen Fri 21-Feb-20 15:52:26

I'd like to add my thanks to those of Maggiemaybe.
It really adds to the experience when an author takes time to respond to the questions and issues raised by readers.
So, thanks to Sophie for doing this. I'll certainly be trying out some of the books recommended.
Thanks too to GN for having this format for the Book Club.
thanks

Maggiemaybe Wed 19-Feb-20 14:03:25

What interesting and informative answers. They've really given me a much better insight into the book, and the art of the author. Thank you very much for answering my question - I get it now! And I'm looking forward to trying some of the police procedurals recommended.

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:56:17

nahsma

Although I enjoyed this, I found parts of it totally unbelievable - particularly the role of Kevin and Yanika, and the school receptionist giving out so much information seemed highly unlikely. I also wondered what was the purpose of the 'racist' incident at Zannah's school? It felt like a sub-plot that just got left by the wayside, with no real relevance to the main thrust of the plot.
Despite all that, I kept turning the pages, and would happily try another Sophie Hannah novel.
My question for Sophie is: did she physically go to the places where Beth went - or at least to the general area, if houses/hotels/etc are imaginary - or were they all researched online?

I do often use real neighbourhoods and buildings when I’m imagining locations for my books. The Braids’ house, for example, is based on a house I know, as is the Leesons’. And I stayed in Florida in the same hotel that Beth visits - the Delray Beach Marriott. I travel a lot so I get a lot of inspiration that way. Houses and locations have very specific atmospheres and I try to use ones which are, in my head, appropriate to my characters and plot. It helps with my vision and hopefully allows me to create more realistic scenes.

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:55:38

GeminiJen

Two questions for Sophie
1.Several posters have commented on the racism incident at Zannah’s school. While I agree with all the reservations expressed, I did wonder if this had been included to introduce the idea of recording the incident as a kind of advance organizer for the denouement?
2.From the many books that you’ve written, is there one that you would recommend for someone who, while critical of this book, should like to read more of your work? smile

Yes, Zannah using her phone to record evidence does give Beth the idea in the final scenes that she could record things on her phone. It’s one of the many useful things her teenage daughter manages to teach her along the way!

As for which of my other books to read, those who enjoy police procedurals might like to have a look at the Culver Valley series, or if you enjoy the style of the standalone thriller there’s Did You See Melody? or The Understudy which I wrote with 3 other writers. And hopefully any Agatha Christie or golden-age crime fans will enjoy my Hercule Poirot series – the forth of which, The Killings at Kingfisher Hill will be out this August.

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:54:37

Nuala

Thank you for the free copy. I enjoyed the book, found it to be a page turner and read it in two sittings. The characters are well drawn and the plot has a few good twists. I didn't enjoy this novel as much as some of Sophie Hannah's earlier books. I would like to ask Sophie if she intends to write any more "Culver Valley" crime novels?

Yes, I’m just about to start writing one, in fact! I’ve been busy with other projects, including my Hercule Poirot series and a self-help book and podcast, both called ‘How To Hold A Grudge’ - but watch this space for more Culver Valley!

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:54:05

Maggiemaybe

My question to the author would be about the scene with the teacher and the alleged racism. Why was this included and how did it fit in with the rest of the narrative?

As I mentioned above: the situation with the teacher gives Beth the encouragement she needs to continue to help Flora. She feels empowered by her handling of the school situation and realises that it’s possible to feel scared but to take action regardless.

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:53:30

eGJ

Like many of the others I put my comments and a question on the other thread as soon as I had read it!

I am glad I persisted reading this book as it did not appear in the first chapter to be the sort of book I would usually read. Once I got into it I read it in one session abandoning everything else!!

However it was well worth continuing and I want to ask Sophie there will be a sequel.

Haven’t They Grown is one of my standalone thrillers so no, there won’t be a sequel. I do enjoy the continuity of a series – there are 10 books in my Culver Valley Crime series – but in this case, it’s the last we’ll see of these characters.

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:53:02

GrannyBear

I would like to ask Sophie why she introduced Ben to the story, and then then gave him virtually no further role as the events unfolded. What did she feel were the underlying dynamics within this family?

Ben didn’t have a starring role, and that’s because he was part of Beth’s nice, ordinary life, like Dom. I thought it was important that Beth’s domestic and work life – which Dom keeps trying to pull her back into - continued quietly in the background. Ben, like most teenage boys I know, was just off doing his own thing and had no interest at all in his mum’s shenanigans!

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:52:22

emmasnan

I found this a bit far fetched and felt it lost its way a little at times but I did enjoy it.
I would like to ask Sophie if she had the complete plot worked out, including the ending of the story before she wrote the book or did she start with a general idea and built on that as she wrote.

As I say, I’m a planner! I had the bones of the story in my head before I even sat down to plan, and I knew what the ending would be and roughly how we’d get there. I wouldn’t feel at all comfortable starting to write a novel without knowing where’d I’d end up. I like to know chapter by chapter what’s happening before I start writing. When I have this clear vision it’s so much easier.

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:51:54

Buddie

I should like to ask Sophie what the starting point for this novel was. Did she set out to explore the relationships and problems within them or was the start the idea of the children not growing up? I would also be interested to know how she thinks Beth would cope with her part in the final drama given that the sight of the children apparently remaining the same age for twelve years had unsettled her so much.

The starting point was the idea of the children who haven’t grown up, and the rest of the plot flowed from there. Once I’d had the idea for the hook, my next job was to work out what on earth could be going on, very much like Beth! I looked at numerous possibilities to explore what kind of relationship and characters could result in this situation.

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:51:20

barboofa

I was intrigued by the idea that the children hadn't grown. The start of the story was a bit slow for me, but once Sophie Hannah, exposed the controlling behaviour of Lewis towards Flora and all the characters of their 'household' I became hooked to find out if what would happen. Would Flora escape Lewis's depth of depravity? Would Beth be murdered. What would happen to all the children. I enjoyed the faster pace of the later part of the book.
My question to Sophie Hannah is, did you write the book with the intention of exposing the potential impact and dynamics of domestic violence, specifically the offence of coercive control?

Sophie highlighted the depths of depravity

Perhaps not specifically, but domestic violence in a broad sense is something I’m always interested in; it’s by far the most common kind of violence in our society and also the most terrifying - because it’s perpetrated by those who should be protectors, nurturers, trusted. People are at their most vulnerable in the home and I wanted to reflect the fact that murderers and abusers are also well-loved friends, bosses and spouses.

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:50:47

Crocky

Weird was a word that frequently appeared and to begin with it could have been applied to most of the characters in the book and the plot. As the ‘listener’ to the narrator and conversations between characters I was not sure exactly where it was going but gradually I began to understand the who, what and why. It was well written and worth reading.
My question to Sophie is:- it was a clever move to use the same names for both sets of children as it made me imagine even more weird options, was that her intention?

Yes absolutely! I hoped it would create the impression that, even if we know these children cannot be the same Thomas and Emily as the ones Beth knew, there’s still something deeply sinister going on: Are they ‘replacements’ somehow? Is Flora delusional? I wanted to add as many weird layers to the story as possible, to have the reader constantly asking questions.

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:50:15

rocketstop

If we could ask questions to Sophie I'd ask what inspired the story? Was it something in the news? I too think it would make a good screenplay or TV drama serial, it had plenty of tension and I think Sophie will please crime readers with her latest book.

The story was inspired by a real-life situation I was in which was almost identical to the one I describe in the book’s first scenes. I had taken my son to a football match and knowing we were in the neighbourhood of a friend of mine with whom I’d lost touch, I couldn’t resist going to have a nosy at her new house. As I was parked outside her house she returned, parked up and got out of the car. It gave me a really uneasy feeling – it had been 12 years since we’d seen each other so it was like stepping back into the past, but also we’d aged, so I was seeing an older version of her in the past – then from that feeling came the thought ‘What if her children get out of the car and they’re still 5 and 3 years old?’ and then I thought, ‘What a brilliant idea for a disturbing and intriguing novel!’

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:49:18

silverdragon

Question to Sophie - how easy or hard was it to create and include the situations that caused Beth to believe something was wrong? Did you have scenes/conversations you didn't use in the final version?

These scenes are essential to the plot but I had to be careful not to overdo it. There’s a fine balance to giving just the right number of clues without revealing anything at the wrong time. Hopefully I’ve given readers enough of an inkling that something sinister is going on but kept back enough to keep them guessing as to what and why. There are always scenes and conversations which get cut in the planning stages but I was very happy once I’d started properly writing that the necessary scenes were in there.

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:48:36

annemac101

I did enjoy this book. It was a page turner and I thought I'd scream if it didn't have a good ending but it did. Beth annoyed me during the first half of this book as I thought she was just being nosey. I wanted her to get on with her own life but she wouldn't give up. I really didn't know what way the story was going. Maybe it was supernatural ? Why would children not have aged? Sophie Hannah knows how to keep the reader on edge right to the last chapter and what more can you ask for. It would make a great film.
My question is, Sophie, I have no idea what must go on in your head. How do you start a book ? What gives you the ideas?

Most of my books have started with an idea for a plot hook which is seemingly impossible – an event or situation which nobody can understand why or how is happening, yet it is – I find these ideas irresistible. My brain has become very well trained in spotting the faintest trace of these ideas in real life so I’m constantly looking at what’s going on around me and wondering ‘What if X?’, ‘Imagine if Y happened’. It’s very entertaining!

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:47:40

Gr4nny

Here we are, in the wrong place: . . 7 words that made me wonder why I’ve not come across Sophie Hannah’s books.

I read the book in two or three sittings and found myself thinking about the story between reads! Far fetched? Maybe. Nonetheless, a thought provoking piece of literary escapism.

I’ll look out for other works by the author and would pose her the question: Which characters would you like to have explored in more detail?

I found writing Lewis Braid fascinating and I could have explored his character endlessly, the way that his charm and charisma, rather than being a mask for his true nature, are part of it. But I love digging into the human psyche and so I’m always excited to move on to new characters and find new ways of making them terrifying, and/or fascinating and complex.

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:46:57

Miriam

I really enjoyed this book, it was very well written and easy to read, in fact I found it hard to put down. I can certainly see it being made into a film. I like to read for escapism not because it mirrors real life as long as the plot and characters are believable. Nobody really knows what goes on behind closed doors and I am sure plenty families have their secrets. I was pleased to see it had a good ending and I was not left disappointed.
My question for Sophie is would she like to see this book made into a film and if so would she like to have plenty say in the production?

Yes, that would be very exciting! I think I’d be happy to leave the production to the experts though, but if they needed any help with casting or music I’d be delighted to oblige!

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:46:20

Greenfinch

I have two questions for Sophie.
Do you write a rough version of the plot or do you let it develop as you write? Or maybe you work backwards from the outcome?
Why did you include the incident of Murat and his panini? It seemed a bit OTT and not how a school would react.
I am sure this novel is going to be very popular with Sophie's readers as it is a real tour de force .Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read it.

I am a dedicated planner! For me, it’s an absolutely crucial part of the process, and by the time I sit down to start my first proper draft I know everything there is to know about my plot and how each chapter unfolds. As far as my ideas go, sometimes I have an idea for an ending and work the story backwards in my mind, Haven’t They Grown though started with an idea for a beginning, a plot hook, and developed from there.

The Murad incident is instrumental in Beth realising that it is possible and morally right for her to put her head above the parapet when the situation calls for it. She sees that, though Zannah is scared and not in a position of strength or power within the school, she still stands up for what she believes in. This reinforces Beth’s belief that it’s her duty as a former friend to protect Flora and her children. Zannah’s courage at school gives Beth courage. In my extensive experience, schools often do engage in unjust and horrendously unprofessional behaviour towards children.

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:45:28

Granniesunite

My question to Sophie is

Did you choose that ending because it mirrors real life?? Leaving victims no choice but to be violent themselves to escape their violent husbands/ partners.

I do think the ending was the only one possible which would mean permanent peace and safety for Flora and her children, Lewis Braid was such a twisted and obsessive character that for him to have ended up in prison, for example, wouldn’t have led to a sense of closure and I very much wanted a satisfying ending which was all wrapped up - a happy one!

SophieHannah Tue 18-Feb-20 11:44:39

Liska

In terms of questions for the author, I'd like to know how long it took her to write the book and which character she got most attached to while writing the book.

It took about 6 months in total, which includes the planning stage of around 2 months – I like to have a very detailed plan before I even begin the actual writing. As for the character I was most attached to, I have to say Zannah as she was very much based on my own daughter! I also strongly identified with Beth so it was fantastic to write the mother/daughter relationship and to give them this adventure.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 18-Feb-20 10:25:36

Answers from Sophie coming right up...

gardener Tue 04-Feb-20 19:21:14

Thank you for the book ..I just love getting the chance to read new publications.
I quite enjoyed reading it but unfortunately I found it rather far fetched...just as previous posts have mentioned.
A question for Sophie....I wonder ...
Did you have the whole story line plotted from the beginning...or like some other authors...do you find it more exciting to let the ideas just develop during the writing process ?

Catmanic Sun 02-Feb-20 21:21:49

I enjoyed the book and it was most definitely a page turner. I did find it rather lost the initial momentum in the middle and I was slightly puzzled about the school scene it didn’t seem realistic.
I did however enjoy the overall story and will definitely try some other books by Sophie as I think I will enjoy her style of writing.

QuaintIrene Fri 31-Jan-20 17:01:14

Thank you for my book, GN.
I ave read some of Sophie’s books before and I would have bought this if I saw it in a charity shop, finances prohibit my reading sometimes.
I enjoyed the story, and the ending didn’t disappoint. The abuse struck very close to home and it was hard to read sometimes. But I couldn’t really find much empathy for Beth and her family as characters. Teenagers are not always stroppy and I thought it was a bit lazy to write her like that. The school episode was puzzling and clunky.
However it was a good read and would make a good choice for a reading group.
I would like to ask Sophie if there is going to be a sequel because I think there is a lot more to explore with this story and characters could be developed more. Sometimes plot seemed to take precedence over the people.
Sophie is a cracker at short stories and I recommend if anyone wants to read on.