Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Recommendation!

(6 Posts)
Ealdemodor Mon 17-Feb-20 15:11:05

I have just finished The 24 hour Cafe by Libby Page - really good. Anyone else read it?

Sarahmob Sat 29-Feb-20 07:58:24

I have, thoroughly enjoyed it. I wanted to read it as I’d read ‘The Lido’ and enjoyed that. I think that Page writes so convincingly of the intricate details of people’s lives. The characters of Mona and Hannah, the strength and testing of their friendship were so well written. The other people whose lives they touched and observed were introduced so well. I particularly liked the way in which the story was resolved, we got to know what happened with Dan, Monique, Harry and Martha (although that made me cry!) and Joe and Haziq. Great storytelling, heart warming and honest.

kittylester Sat 29-Feb-20 08:09:25

Oh, wow! Glad I saw this thread. I loved The Lido so will order this. Thank you!!!

Teetime Sat 29-Feb-20 09:06:02

Oh yes I will have a look for this. I have just finished Blood Orange unputdownable if you like a bit of spice.

Jane10 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:23:54

Sounds like the sort of thing I like. Must check it out.

mary51 Mon 23-Mar-20 13:38:12

A few years ago I read Can Any Mother Help Me by Jenna Bailey, which was a bit like Mumsnet then. Its about a group of women who set up a newsletter which was posted around and one would add their piece and then post on. All handwritten or typed. Spread from mid thirties through war and into the fifties sharing their problems and heartaches and humour. Heartrending in parts, laugh out loud in others. A great read.