Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Other Half of Augusta Hope - March book club

(17 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 25-Feb-20 14:01:57

Copies of Augusta Hope will be on their way to our winners very soon - so here's the thread to leave your questions and comments for the author.

More information on The Other Half of August Hope here.

Pittcity Fri 06-Mar-20 14:15:45

Mine has arrived this morning.smile

Sar53 Fri 06-Mar-20 14:47:32

Mine about an hour ago. No email to say I'd won a copy.

lindiann Fri 06-Mar-20 15:56:12

Mine arrived this morning smile

daffodil07 Sun 08-Mar-20 20:09:57

Thank you, mine arrived Saturday, a self indulgent week ahead!

Jishere Wed 11-Mar-20 12:51:54

Just started this and had to read the first chapter twice although I'm sure I'll read it again. What a wonderful writer Joanna is? Often I read books and the stories are good/passable but the writing is just plain and dull as dish water.
I know striaght away this is one that I want to put on my shelf to keep and read again and recommend to others for Joanna's grace in writing to bring Augusta to life is superb. I'm hoping the overal story is just as good.

inishowen Thu 12-Mar-20 09:48:01

I was so pleased to receive a copy as I haven't won a book from gransnet for a long time. I've nearly finished the book after several late night sessions. Its wonderfully written but oh so sad. I'm hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel towards the end.

Hellsbelles Sun 15-Mar-20 10:33:56

Starting my copy this evening. Looks like it's going to be a good one.

hv35 Wed 18-Mar-20 11:03:56

Thanks for my copy of this book - I haven't won a book in a long time so it was very exciting! I finished it this morning (in bed with a cuppa) and would recommend it. I loved the way the story all came together at the end and enjoyed discovering new words, like Augusta did!

Pittcity Tue 24-Mar-20 16:49:21

A simple tale, beautifully told. I laughed and cried and hoped for a happy ending......no spoilers.

Joanna says in the acknowledgements that the "hot earth of Andalusia...never fails to touch my soul." Has she ever visited Burundi?

Hellsbelles Fri 27-Mar-20 13:19:10

Ok so I'll be honest , for some reasons I don't enjoy books set in the Mediterranean ( jealousy perhapsgrin )
But I loved this one, it was a brilliant read and the author really set the area, I could see it in my mind and feel the heat on my face. Loved the characters with a few exceptions ( shan't give anything away ) but I will certainly be looking out for other books by her in the future.

Jishere Mon 30-Mar-20 21:38:56

I would like to know is the character Augusta based on Joanna herself as she grew up? Some elements of her personality, being so wordy and loving language.
I've never of Burundi, is the story based loosely on actual happenings?

burwellmum Tue 31-Mar-20 21:32:19

I enjoyed the book. I wondered why she chose Burundi - the recent turbulent history of Rwanda is much better known? I read about the history of the country as I was interested after reading the book. Thank you for my copy.

daffodil07 Wed 01-Apr-20 10:55:16

I think I may be in the minority here, but I didn't really enjoy this book. I can emphasise with the pain August and Parfait both went through and I can appreciate the simplicity of the tale, but....maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind so with this thought and, with the excellent reviews given by other GNs, I will not dismiss this book completely and will give it another go in a few months time.

daffodil07 Wed 01-Apr-20 17:08:52

Sorry, Augusta!

Dannydog1 Thu 02-Apr-20 13:33:34

I wasn’t sure about this book at first but I quickly warmed to the style of writing. I especially liked the story being told by two alternating first person narratives, and the suspense of how these two stories would entwine. A very enjoyable read - why did the author pick Burundi?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Apr-20 15:53:40

Just a reminder to our other book winners to leave their questions for Joanna here in the next week or so, and then we will send them over to her to be answered.