Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Out of Touch: April Book Club

(42 Posts)
SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 30-Mar-20 15:14:38

Hi there,

Book club! Copies of Out of Touch will be heading to our winners very soon, but in the meantime, please leave your comments and questions for Haleh on this thread.

You can find more info on the book here.

Haleh Agar Wed 12-Aug-20 15:55:27

mrsHom

I really enjoyed this book and found it an easy read. The characters were well rounded and I could understand and almost sympathise with their motivation, even when they were in the process of making potentially disastrous mistakes - a girl, trapped by familial obligations, her brother fleeing from them and feeling guilty. We all know families like that!
My question is could there be a follow up with Ava continuing to discover her Greek family and her own 'Greekness' ?

That’s a very interesting question, and I could see how that could work. Though I loved spending time with Ava, I am writing stories about new characters.

Haleh Agar Wed 12-Aug-20 15:53:44

gillyknits

A fascinating subject for a debut novel. The story of a very dysfunctional family that have grown apart. The tensions caused by alcoholism and infidelity influenced the memories of Michael and Ava. He lives in America and she in England. His struggle is being a husband and father and hers is relationships.
I enjoyed the book , the well drawn characters' , and quickly became involved in their lives. A thought provoking read for these strange times.
My question for Haleh would be will your next book be in the same format or would you do something completely different?

Thank you for asking this question. I wrote ‘Out of Touch’ a little while ago, and have since been writing my second book which is focuses on a group of old friends. There is more of a mystery element to it, and it’s told from a single perspective.

Haleh Agar Wed 12-Aug-20 15:51:27

Maggiemaybe

I enjoyed this book, which was a gentle read perfectly suited to sitting in the garden in the sun. I found all the characters to be believable and most of them likeable, the plot moved along at a good pace, alternating between the UK and the US, and for a welcome change there were no dramatic shock horror plot twists or time shifts. I'd certainly read more by this author.

I'd like to ask the author whether she has lived in New York. She really caught the essence of it in the chapters featuring Michael and his family.

Thank you again for the book and for the Book Club itself, GNHQ. It's definitely the best of Gransnet at the moment and I hope it can continue as things are.

I have never lived in New York though I’ve been many times as I grew up in Canada, a few hours from New York. I’m so pleased that you enjoyed this aspect of my book. I loved writing it and found that I longed to return to New York through the process.

Haleh Agar Wed 12-Aug-20 15:50:01

Alygran

Thank you for my book.
I thoroughly enjoyed it particularly as the relationships between the characters played out. I felt there was an honesty about complicated family relationships that you rarely see in literature.
My question would be to what extent the distancing of family relationships in her personal experience fed into the story.

I actually have a very close relationship with my family! But of course, like in every family there are tensions, particularly the closer you are. My sister who read the book recently kept sending me snapshots of my book and referencing an experience in the past that she thought inspired the writing. I think we can’t help but write about what we know. Equally there is a tendency—I’ve noticed, in friends and family who read your work to make assumptions about the inspiration of your characters and the scenarios they are in.

Haleh Agar Wed 12-Aug-20 15:47:57

gma

Out of Touch is a brilliant read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. First book that I have started and finshed since lockdown began. The characters were so believable and I feel that I really got to know them. I loved the relationship between Ava and Sam. I hope that it will be on Book at Bedtime, I love listening to a story. American Dirt is on at the moment...last months free giveaway!
I would like to ask the author if she ever draws on people that she knows to base her characters on?
Thankyou again, fabulous book!!

As an author, I find that everything I write is inspired by something I have experienced. Characters are no exception, though I have to say that no one character is derived from a single person that I know or a character from a book or film I’ve seen. It’s a strange amalgamation. Through the process of writing—ie. characters being placed in different situations, they will make decisions that are unique to them and they develop on their own even if initially they were inspired by some aspect of a person—be that fictional or in real life.

Haleh Agar Wed 12-Aug-20 15:46:15

Liska

I found this book really absorbing, so much so that I finished it within a few hours of receiving it! The story explores some complex family dynamics while remaining very readable and enjoyable. I particularly warmed to Ava and I found her relationship with Sam really heart-warming. Without giving too much away, I felt that the author wrapped up the story perfectly and the ending felt very satisfying.

My questions for author:
What inspired you to write this book?
Which character (or characters) do you most identify with and why?

I’ve always enjoyed reading and watching stories about family—those intense relationships with people you can’t really choose. What fascinates me most about such stories is how each family member fits into a messy collective. How do we retain our sense of individuality? Are we doomed to repeat the same mistakes as our parents? Does the past have to tie us to the present and future? Stories about identity and time intrigue me, and I was able to explore those concepts through the novel.

In some ways, I identified with all the characters in my novel, and I can’t say that there was one more than any other. But it was initially easier for me to write Ava, and I wonder if it’s because I felt more comfortable at the start, because she’s a female character.

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 05-Jun-20 12:09:19

Just to give you an update, we'll soon be posting Haleh's answers on the thread. smile

luanda111 Thu 28-May-20 11:27:47

My best lockdown read. This book is extremely absorbing. I like to read stories about underlying family conflicts, because I always compare them with my own personal life.

Teamug Wed 13-May-20 10:57:18

Sorry really struggled with this book made it to the end but only just .

Mapleleaf Thu 30-Apr-20 21:08:08

It took me longer to read this book than I thought it would, though in part, I think that is due to the circumstances we find ourselves in at the moment, as I'm flitting from one thing to another. However, I did find it a good read, overall and glad I persevered to the end. I think it dealt with estrangement quite sensitively and the ending left me feeling hopeful for the future of the relationship between the siblings.
My question is did Haleh do a lot of research on the dynamics of family relationships in order to write this book?

silverdragon Mon 27-Apr-20 20:56:31

Thanks for sending the book. For me it started of fine - I engaged with Ava, maintained some interest with Michael but then found it just did not grab me enough to keep reading. It could be that this is just the wrong time for me to read this, I need a bit more escapism. It was well-written but just didn't grab me. Sorry.

granh2 Sat 25-Apr-20 15:56:39

The story revolves around two siblings, Ava and Michael, who have lost touch with each other. It has a gentle, slow pace which is quite realistic of normal lives. Both were affected by the traumatic experience of growing up in a dysfunctional family, and both dealt with it by putting distance between the past and each other. Both are trying to come to terms with how the past has influenced their lives, both in the past and present, and potentially the future. They do eventually meet again and gain some insight into their lives, and begin to map their own futures.
I think everyone can identify with this idea of the past affecting the present and future, however ordinary it appears to be. I particularly identified with the childhood house being dismantled and sold, it feels like a second death, having to let go of processions and the physical place of memories– so sad.
A question – Did your own experiences influence the book?

Inthepink06 Sat 25-Apr-20 08:01:39

I read the book over a few days and agree it was a gentle approach to what are always complex issues within families. I did find the characters a bit shallow and the book seemed to gloss over the effort it would have taken to reconcile with the past and how they did that. I would recommend the author and will certainly suggest others read it.

annemac101 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:09:15

This book started off well then I lost interest in the middle. I picked it up again and did enjoy the rest of it. I think the problem was I didn’t like the main character Ava. I know she had been through a hard time with her mother but she just wasn’t likable. Her friend Jane did everything to help her and not once did Ava seem grateful or think about doing Jane a good turn. I hated the way she used Kyle for sex when she didn’t even like him.
Sam would have been better steering clear of her.
The book showed that some people like Ava and her brother never recover from a broken childhood. The book ended in a good way, although I’d like to see Ava doing something nice for people in her life. I’d like to ask the author about her second book,will it be a sequel (as I think there’s more to this story) or something completely different and has she started writing it?

SeaWatcher Thu 23-Apr-20 15:51:12

I was really pleased to receive this book and read it in a matter of days. It has a gentle, quiet style and yet manages to explore relationships with some depth, however I did not find myself particularly warming to any of the characters or being concerned as to what became of them. The author shows a good understanding of the sorts of issues, with their complexities, which exist in families. I was less convinced by the relationship between Ava and Sam. I found the settings in London and New York to be well described, particularly New York. I look forward to reading the author's next book.

gillybob Thu 23-Apr-20 14:18:45

I really enjoyed this book too but I was a little disappointed in Ava using that poor lad Kyle (from the shoe department) for sex grin Poor Kyle.

I would love to read a follow up and find out how Michael and his wife's relationship pans out. After all the woman he had the affair presumably still lives within sight of their apartment.

Crocky Thu 23-Apr-20 14:15:09

As an eighty year old I am completely ‘Out of Touch’ with the characters within the book. My whole inclination was to say ‘ for goodness sake stop whining and grow up!’.
Life throws each of us many different things to face and the answer is to deal with them, not blame someone else.
As you can see I became engaged in the book by getting totally irritated probably the wrong reaction.
Ava looked after her Mother till she died but did she feel glad about it, no. Michael ran away then used it as an excuse to misbehave. Their mother separated from their father and used it as an excuse to become an alcoholic, the father felt sorry for himself when he was dying. Jane seemed the only decent character and was painted as a dogooder.
My question to Haleh is:- do such bars actually exist where people can stand up and tell other people how they feel sorry for themselves? If so why on earth do people go to listen?

hulahoop Tue 21-Apr-20 12:19:34

Have just finished book I enjoyed it .i really felt for Ava following her accident thought her relationship with Sam abit strange though . I would say it's a holiday read type of book .the dynamics of the family was very typical of a lot of families so very believable .
My question is does author know families like this.

Mazamet07 Sat 18-Apr-20 14:02:58

Thank you for the opportunity to read this book. Unfortunately I struggled to maintain any interest in any of the characters: I found them bland and the whole thing without a real plot, leaving me flat and disinterested. I will pass the book on and hopefully the next reader will enjoy the storyline and engage with the main characters.

Scotpiper Fri 17-Apr-20 14:24:35

Delighted to receive my copy! It’s interesting, but not as engaging as I’d hoped. In fact I’ve set it aside for now. That’s unusual for me, so it may be more about me and the current lockdown, than about the book.
My question would be, did you live in either location, as you seem to have both pegged well.

mrsHom Fri 17-Apr-20 10:21:54

I really enjoyed this book and found it an easy read. The characters were well rounded and I could understand and almost sympathise with their motivation, even when they were in the process of making potentially disastrous mistakes - a girl, trapped by familial obligations, her brother fleeing from them and feeling guilty. We all know families like that!
My question is could there be a follow up with Ava continuing to discover her Greek family and her own 'Greekness' ?

gillyknits Tue 14-Apr-20 15:53:31

A fascinating subject for a debut novel. The story of a very dysfunctional family that have grown apart. The tensions caused by alcoholism and infidelity influenced the memories of Michael and Ava. He lives in America and she in England. His struggle is being a husband and father and hers is relationships.
I enjoyed the book , the well drawn characters' , and quickly became involved in their lives. A thought provoking read for these strange times.
My question for Haleh would be will your next book be in the same format or would you do something completely different?

AliBeeee Tue 14-Apr-20 15:49:15

Thanks for this book, I enjoyed it very much. The characters were well formed and portrayed a very real fractured and estranged family. I was engaged from the first page right through to the end. I could see this as a movie without too much having to change. It was a perfect read for a holiday weekend under lockdown and I recommend it very much as a holiday read (when we are allowed holidays again).

JessK Tue 14-Apr-20 11:27:04

Thanks very much for this book, I've just finished reading it.
I did enjoy it as a good insight into family relationships when things go wrong.
The characters were well rounded and you were routing for Ava all the way through.
I too wondered if the author was very close to this subject. If not she researched the issues very well.

Corkie91 Mon 13-Apr-20 13:14:51

Thanks very much for the book love to read and be introduced to new authors.
Liked that the plot alternated between the UK and the US and the brother and sisters lives. It was an easy read and the characters were believable.
But it was too gentle for me I like twists turns, plots and drama
Question to author was this a refection of her family life