Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Has anyone read this book about the Resistance ?

(10 Posts)
Atqui Sat 13-Jun-20 22:30:50

I’m trying to recall the title of a book set in France in Ww2 about a family running a bar restaurant,It involves a painting of one of the sisters. The German commander is attracted to the girl and a painting of her, which was done by her husband.Sorry that’s a bit hazy .

Callistemon Sat 13-Jun-20 22:32:16

Yes, I've read it but can't remember the title.

I'll have a think and look later to see if it's on my Kindle.

Callistemon Sat 13-Jun-20 22:32:52

I think it was WW1.

Callistemon Sat 13-Jun-20 22:35:38

Was it The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes?

Welshwife Sat 13-Jun-20 22:36:59

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes I think. The husband was an artist and painted the portrait before joining up. It became the subject of a court case about Goods stolen during a war.
It goes between WW1 and present day.

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jun-20 22:39:48

I love stories about the Resistance. A truly courageous bunch of people of which 36,000 were killed.

Callistemon Sat 13-Jun-20 22:49:10

No, it was WW1 not WW2.
The French were starved into submission.

Atqui Sun 14-Jun-20 10:05:57

Thank you very much . My memory worse than I thought if I got the wars muddled up! By the way for people who like books about the resistance , I can recommend Liberation by Imogen Kealey based on story of a woman nicknamed The White Mouse by the gestapo. H and I both enjoyed it.

Atqui Sun 14-Jun-20 10:14:44

Any recommendations about fiction based on similar topics gratefully received!

Fennel Sun 14-Jun-20 12:35:49

When we lived in France I read a lot of books about the Resistance in WW2. We were in the SW and they were very active there.
Often a tragic story because if they were caught, the whole village suffered. German retribution. it broke up families.
But all non-fiction.
I read the one about the White Mouse - Nancy Wake.