Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Dorothy Whipple, Blackburn born writer

(10 Posts)
hollysteers Tue 16-Jun-20 19:12:21

At the moment, the day to day minutiae as you say, of women and men’s lives in another age is very comforting.
The regularity of the domestic life, the order brought about by servants has the same appeal as watching Downton Abbey.
I personally would not like live in staff, but it calms me reading about families living this lifestyle.

SueDonim Tue 16-Jun-20 18:30:34

Too exciting at times, when I’d have preferred a quiet life! These events usually ended up costing us money. confused

Jane10 Tue 16-Jun-20 17:53:07

Gosh. Sounds exciting. Write a book about it?

SueDonim Tue 16-Jun-20 16:57:23

We have had maids/stewards in the house when we lived abroad. It was really quite onerous, as we became more than mere employers, and you get entangled in their lives. We had a murder and a stillbirth to deal with as well as a load of more mundane things.

Jane10 Tue 16-Jun-20 15:57:26

I would find it a bit embarrassing trying to come up with things for maids to do. Especially live in ones. If you had eg 2 maids and a cook what on earth would I do all day?

SueDonim Tue 16-Jun-20 14:14:42

Jane10, I always have that impression after reading that type of period book. Trouble is, in real life, I’m more likely to have been the maid than the one being waited upon. grin

Jane10 Tue 16-Jun-20 13:13:33

I absolutely love Dorothy Whipple's books. I'm so sad that I've now read them all. I found 'Someone at a distance' such a page turner!
Now I'm back in the 21st century and find that, somehow, I manage without maids and cooks. It was a different world - but I loved reading about it.
I'm now rereading 'Miss Buncle's Book'. Lovely.

hollysteers Tue 16-Jun-20 13:08:01

I meant to say Someone at a Distance and will order The Priory SueDonim.

SueDonim Mon 15-Jun-20 18:59:43

I’ve read one of hers, something Hall? No, The Priory. She’s a very good writer of the minutiae of women’s lives at her time.

hollysteers Mon 15-Jun-20 18:47:50

Im reading Somewhere at a Distance. A new author for me
And enjoying it immensely in a lovely Persephone edition.
I fancy a visit to the Persephone bookshop too when things are better, it looks charming. Anyone else read her?