Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What books are you reading and why?

(369 Posts)
Namsnanny Fri 06-Nov-20 15:12:31

To start off with I'm reading 'A First Rate Madness' by Nassir Ghaemi.
This was recommended on a TV documentary talking about Trump, and discussing why he is the way he is.

I have only just started it so if someone else has read it I would be interested in their pov.

Tallyann1 Tue 10-Nov-20 09:58:16

Currently rereading Sharon K Penmanship Welsh trilogy.
Well researched well written history novels.
Read them more than once over the years!
Also a year at the Chateau by dick and angel strawbridge.. love the programme too!

missdeke Tue 10-Nov-20 10:00:12

I am reading a book about Ida de Tosney and Roger Bigod. For some reason I can't get enough of historical novels, they are just so interesting.

winterwhite Tue 10-Nov-20 10:01:14

My current 'downstairs book' for daytime is Britain AD by Francis Pryor, about the dark ages and myths about King Arthur. I'm reading it because I've just got round to it. Bought by me in some 2nd hand bookshop because it looked interesting and readable, which it is.

My 'upstairs book' i.e. bedtime is a detective story from the British Library crime club - 1930s body-in-the-library stuff. I'm downstairs at the moment and can't remember author or title.?

AliBeeee Tue 10-Nov-20 10:02:13

I am reading “The Secrets we Kept” by Lara Prescott. Set in the Cold War era and split between Washington and Russia. I simply liked the look of it in my big high street book store. I’m about halfway through and it’s a decent read so far.

I finished “The Confession “ by Jessie Burton a few days ago. I read it because I enjoyed her previous books. It was okay, but not a patch on The Miniaturist.

luluaugust Tue 10-Nov-20 10:02:42

I am just taking books off my own shelves so recently read Mary Stewart "Madam will you talk" and now back to Georgette Heyer. Anything light appeals at the moment.

Rosalyn69 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:02:50

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. Originally because I like him on TV. I’m enjoying the book immensely. Great characters and well written.

Jaxjacky Tue 10-Nov-20 10:03:13

hicaz46 Troubled blood is on my Christmas list, can’t wait, loved all the previous ones and the TV series.

Jill0753 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:05:50

I’ve just finished The Foundling by Stacey Halls and really enjoyed it. A glimpse into the life of an unwed woman who has a baby. I read it via the Libby app. I’ve also just read Away with the Penguins by Hazel Prior which is a real feel good book and a nice gentle read.

Lovelifelynn Tue 10-Nov-20 10:07:39

The boy,the mole,the fox and the horse. Not a novel as such beautiful illustrations, tactile and a little story running through. My daughter bought it for me and it's so uplifting. You can open any page and feel better.

Disgruntled Tue 10-Nov-20 10:11:40

I'm listening to The Wild Silence by Raynor Winn and loving it. I listened to her first book, The Salt Path, and told my friend that I was bereft when I finished it, and she sent me The Wild Silence. Highly recommend both books.

Nortsat Tue 10-Nov-20 10:16:36

I have just finished ‘Between the Stops’ by Sandi Toksvig, which is a good read. It’s a sort of memoir, based on the journey between her home and BBC Broadcasting House on the No12 bus. There are musings about London and her life, along the way.
I recommend it.

I am also reading ‘Too Much and Not Enough’ by Mary Trump, but that is taking some time ... as I am only reading short bursts at a time ... for obvious reasons.

My next book is ‘The Beekeeper of Aleppo’. But I fitted ‘A Song for the Dark Times’ by Ian Rankin in between, because I love Rebus.

Grandson2008 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:18:27

Hi moggycuddler I love Lisa jewell books I have got into them this year try the house we grew up in and 31 dream st. C l Taylor is great as well Angela masons is another one I've started reading def need books on this crazy world xx

gillyknits Tue 10-Nov-20 10:18:27

I’m reading Voices of The Mayflower by Richard Holledge. It’s a fascinating account, from the coming together of all the adventurers, to their settling in America.
I’m on Goodreads and it was a recommendation on there. Goodreads also helps me keep track of what I’ve read.
Can’t wait to start the new Ken Follett that is got for my birthday.

Funnygran Tue 10-Nov-20 10:19:47

I’m reading The Inheritance by Jenny Eclair, it’s very light but I can’t put it down. I’ve read such a lot on my Kindle over the summer and have just swapped Kindles with my DD since we have much the same taste in books. I loved American Dirt and think she is in the middle of it and also gripped by it. Still feel rather guilty if I pick up my book during the day though!

Nicky7of7 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:21:58

I am reading Breath by James Nestor. I have mild breathing problems and am finding his breathing techniques very helpful. I also listen to books from the Essex County Library BorrowBox. I live alone and I love to have the sound of a human voice reading to me whilst I am cooking, cleaning, knitting etc. I have just listened to all the Peter James, Roy Grace books and Cried through Villa of Secrets by Patricia Wilson.

sandelf Tue 10-Nov-20 10:24:16

I'm on a Kobo and using Overdrive for free access to library books. Highly recommend.

Just read Blue Moon - Lee Child - Jack Reacher. Good.

Started Edna O'Brien's The Little Red Chairs - thought I should try something by her. It's about the aftermath of the Srebrenica 'cleansing' etc - far too strong stuff for me. Feel sick even telling you I started it. Tribal, racist, sadistic events. Makes you feel we should all carry knives. Enough of that.

Now Jeanette Winterson's Oranges are not the Only Fruit. Fabulous. You can really 'hear' the characters.

Macgran43 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:28:04

Have discovered Elizabeth Noble and have enjoyed her recent book Family Holiday.She writes about relationships if that’s what you like. Feel sad when I finish the book as I’ve got to know the characters.During the first Lockdown I reread Maeve Binchy books which I’d had on my bookshelf for 30 plus years.Echoes and Light a Penny Candle.

villababe Tue 10-Nov-20 10:28:15

Definitely not this one - which is actually a thing! A friend sent it to me the other night. Scarily good reviews though. I am equally horrified and intrigued!

annifrance Tue 10-Nov-20 10:29:39

I read voraciously, sometimes I wonder how I have the time to get through so.many books as I don't daytime read except in bed before I get up. Lots are detective or thrillers and I do enjoy something different.

Recently I have read Victoria Hislop's latest, Those Who Love. Set in Greece from about late 30s to early 70s, well researched and very enlightening about 20th century Greece. Us, better than th e television version. The Missing Pieces of Nancy Moon, Where the Crawdads Sing. The Hearts Invisible Furies - a truly wonderful read. About to read The Beekeeper of Aleppo. I've enjoyed a couple of Anthony Horowitz 's books, different way of writing.

Craftycat Tue 10-Nov-20 10:32:42

I'm racing through The Amber Spyglass as they are serialising the next part of Phillip Pullman's Northern Lights on TV. Read them all before but enjoying them again.
I have the new Galbraith/Rowling book on my Kindle waiting for me. It is very long. I just love reading!!!

Kim19 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:37:24

I'm currently working my way through Alexander McCall Smith's Isabel Dalhousie series. They ooze all kinds of human-kindness and gentleness. Just right for me in current climate. Blissful escape.

Jillybird Tue 10-Nov-20 10:37:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Milliemabel Tue 10-Nov-20 10:40:33

I'm starting the Jack Sheffield Teacher Teacher series.
I read one called Harold the Angel?? to my dad. He died yesterday afternoon but I managed to finish reading the book to him on Sunday. Its very short but funny, light hearted and allowed dad to hear my voice despite being unconscious. Jack Sheffield is a Yorkshire man as was Dad.
I've had the set, bought second hand, for a year or so, but will start to read them one by one for Dad.

I also love reading Gervase Phinn, Sophie Kinsella and Patricia Scanlan.

Qwerty Tue 10-Nov-20 10:42:03

Hicaz I'm currently reading "Troubled Blood" and have bought "The Thursday Murder Club" for my husband for Christmas. We both read lots of thrillers. I might buy the new Ian Rankin for the current lockdown or for Christmas. I really miss Phillip Kerr, a shame he died so (relatively) young.

Joesoap Tue 10-Nov-20 10:44:28

Please can anyone recommend books specifically about Cornwall.