Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Really ‘Old’ Library Book.

(13 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 12-Feb-21 14:43:01

Just about to start my latest book, ‘Last Bus To Woodstock’ by Colin Dexter.

It was published in 1975, and I think I have a first edition!

The pages look so old, they are a horrible faded brown colour, I have never borrowed such an ancient looking book.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect the books to be pristine by any means, but this one looks like it should have been taken out of circulation some time ago, especially as on the website it states that, pre Covid, donated books have to be no more than 5 years old.

Will still enjoy reading it though I’m sure.

Calendargirl Fri 12-Feb-21 14:46:01

It cost £2.50 by the way.

Ilovecheese Fri 12-Feb-21 14:46:18

I suppose it depends whether a book is still in print. If this copy had been taken out of circulation there may not be any new copies. I am sure you will enjoy it though.

Callistemon Fri 12-Feb-21 14:48:45

It could be worth a few hundred pounds, depending on condition.

Perhaps if you let your library know they could sell t and raise some funds to buy more books?

www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=Colin+dexter&tn=Last+bus+to+woodstock&kn=1st+edition&isbn=

Bathsheba Fri 12-Feb-21 14:59:30

If it is indeed a first edition it could well be worth a few hundred, as Callistemon says. you could sell it, tell the library you lost it and pay the fine grin

AGAA4 Fri 12-Feb-21 15:30:48

You will enjoy the book whatever it's condition. I am surprised the library had it on the shelves but the funding has been cut drastically so they may not be getting rid of books that are in poor condition.

Calendargirl Fri 12-Feb-21 16:21:14

Oh wow Bathsheba, my tatty book could be worth loadsamoney! That’s just what my copy looks like!
Doesn’t of course mean it will sell for those prices!

Callistemon Fri 12-Feb-21 17:05:24

Well, I was going to suggest that, Bathsheba but I thought I'd have a heap of Gransnetters jumping on me from a great height telling me I was morally bankrupt grin
I was going to suggest donating the money back to the library or a charity of your choice!

Callistemon Fri 12-Feb-21 17:07:15

You could buy the paperback version to give back to the library!

It's the first Morse book

Calendargirl Fri 12-Feb-21 18:15:16

I have read most of the Morse books years ago, but thought I would re-read them, in order, so that’s how I’m trying to get them.

Sadly, I don’t think either me or my library will benefit from this particular book, as it is really in a poor condition. I suspect the very high prices some books command are in tip top condition.

eazybee Fri 12-Feb-21 19:03:31

I am very surprised as Libraries have long been committed to removing books that are more than ten years old, and in my opinion, wantonly destroying them; this copy must have come out of an illegal store somewhere. Did you request it?

Calendargirl Fri 12-Feb-21 21:48:31

Yes eazybee, it was a requested book, as was ‘Last Seen Wearing’, another Morse book, which is also old, but in a better condition.

They are down as ‘local books’ under my loan list, no idea what that means, it says inside them if they have been donated, which these aren’t,

nanna8 Fri 12-Feb-21 22:44:03

For many years I had an old one from my college library which ended up in Australia. I didn’t even know I had it until we unpacked all the books we brought with us, many years ago. Never read it and I don’t even remember ‘borrowing’ it. Anyway it’s gone to God now. It was something to do with a history of English lit.