Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Thoughts on how to Share or Swap Books?

(11 Posts)
CBBL Fri 02-Apr-21 16:51:42

Since Charity Shops are closed, does anyone have any thoughts on how to Share or Swap Books with others?

I have considered setting up a table with books I've read, but don't wish to keep, but this would involve at the very least, printing and distributing "flyers" to the neighbours around me, organising a date and time, and some provision in case the weather is adverse!
I'm also not sure how I could ensure that I don't get left with more books than I had to start with (since I have too many already)!
What do others think?

Bridie22 Fri 02-Apr-21 16:56:55

Our local supermarkets have a table were books can be given and taken and a small donation put in the charity tin.

Septimia Fri 02-Apr-21 17:01:59

We have a set of covered shelves near our church gate where there are books and other things. Do you have a church/community centre where something similar could be set up?

Before we had the shelves we had a lidded plastic box for books inside the building. Maybe a box like that by your gate, with a big label on, would be sufficient.

tanith Fri 02-Apr-21 17:26:28

Our Tesco book swap was got rid of when COVID arrived it was great for donating or adopting.

Jaxjacky Fri 02-Apr-21 17:30:30

I put mine on a free things local Facebook site, they just go.

rubysong Fri 02-Apr-21 17:56:22

Our village post office has a small book swap area. No money involved.

pandapatch Fri 02-Apr-21 18:20:33

There are several book swops in disused telephone boxes in villages near me

Greyduster Fri 02-Apr-21 19:04:54

We have a small community orchard where we live and it has an enclosed book exchange just inside the gate. (For ages I thought it was some kind of weather station!). No money required and you can leave a book for one you take or not, or leave any you don’t want. I’ve picked up a couple of books I have been wanting to read recently - brought them home, wiped them over and quarantined them in the garage for a week!

NotAGran55 Fri 02-Apr-21 19:58:21

A lady in our village did this during the first lockdown in the good weather . A simple large lidded plastic crate on her drive , advertised on the village Facebook page plus a sign stuck on her fence . Swap, take or leave .

Sago Fri 02-Apr-21 22:08:41

From March last year we had a box of books by our front gate.
It became a local hot spot.
People donated books, we had around 500 books change hands.
I started with around 25 books and it just grew.
People loved it.
I only put it out in good weather but last spring/ summer was good.

Susie42 Sat 03-Apr-21 12:10:32

Most hospitals have a charity shop run by Friends of the Hospital and I donated some books to them last week.