Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Devorgilla Days by Kathleen Hart

(8 Posts)
Blossoming Thu 14-Oct-21 13:31:41

I’m stuck in bed with a sore foot, just listening to this again. There are a few things I missed first time around. I had to laugh when she mentions Shaun from The Bookshop. I have known Shaun for years and missed the story about him handing out humbugs at Christmas. It’s such a Shaun thing to do! grin

Tummelthecat Tue 08-Jun-21 16:23:56

Loved this book! Thanks for the recommendation fevertree!

J52 Fri 04-Jun-21 15:03:25

I was about to buy this book, my second home is in the area as my family come from there.
Her heart is supposed to be buried in Sweetheat Abbey, New Abbey.
A lovely village to visit!

fevertree Fri 04-Jun-21 14:55:14

Pleasure, Blossoming.

Blossoming Thu 03-Jun-21 20:16:19

Fevertree I bought it. It’s lovely so far, thanks for posting this.

Shelflife Thu 03-Jun-21 19:28:51

We love Dumfries and Galloway too. Book sounds very interesting, will search it out .

Blossoming Wed 02-Jun-21 11:38:41

Ooh, thanks for this! I love Wigtown and having a good browse around all the lovely bookshops. I’m really missing our visits to Galloway, hoping to return in the autumn.

fevertree Wed 02-Jun-21 11:30:27

For all the fans of Scotland! smile I really enjoyed this memoir from author Kathleen Hart - perhaps more so because I know Wigtown in Dumfries where the book is set.
She takes herself off to Wigtown after having had a very bad time with serious illness and surgery complications, lengthy stays in hospital and being incapacitated for months. She buys a derelict cottage in this town based on not much more than a whim and a photograph in a magazine and names it after Devorgilla, Lady of Galloway who was renowned in 13th Century Scotland for "breaking with convention".

I don't want to give too much away, but as part of her recovery, she starts swimming in the ocean shock without a wetsuit shock shock in all weathers shock shock shock as the townsfolk surprise, welcome and entertain her (and the reader). An inspiring book written with a light touch which makes it an easy and enjoyable read.