Gransnet forums

Books/book club

How Do I Be a Book Reviewer

(22 Posts)
Jazzhands Sat 09-Oct-21 10:54:30

I've seen people on Twitter being sent books by publishers for free in exchange for their review. I just wondered how to do this.

CafeAuLait Sat 09-Oct-21 11:13:47

Are they 'influencers' and picked because of that?

Urmstongran Sat 09-Oct-21 11:26:42

The ‘How Do I Be’ made me laugh! ?

highlanddreams Sat 09-Oct-21 11:27:00

There's a uk website called net galley, you can become a member there and apply for books to read & review
www.netgalley.co.uk/

Lucca Sat 09-Oct-21 12:12:27

Urmstongran

And me….

Maggiemaybe Sat 09-Oct-21 12:33:56

Yes, I came across netgalley recently. I was tempted, but then remembered just how bad some of those free kindle downloads were. It'd be interesting to hear from anybody who's joined up.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 09-Oct-21 12:38:10

Lucca

Urmstongran

And me….

We must be careful or people will say we’re being unkind! ?

Sarahmob Sat 09-Oct-21 12:40:51

Maggiemaybe I joined up to netgalley a while ago, I’ve had some super books to review along with one or two that have left me cold. You choose books that appeal to you. Some publishers are better than others - I’ve received emails from Harper Collins saying request this title and when I do they won’t release it, random house are very good and HQ. The more reviews you post (Amazon on publication day and goodreads) the more you seem to get. I enjoy reading new releases and commenting on them.

rafichagran Sat 09-Oct-21 12:46:43

Urm Lucca do not laugh at people,it maybe just something the OP typed quickly and did not check.
It's bad form to pick up on something like that.

Maggiemaybe Sat 09-Oct-21 12:56:46

Thanks for the information, Sarahmob. I assumed you just got what you were given, but that sounds a much more attractive proposition. Though looking at the ever-increasing pile of books I have sitting here waiting to be read, and the library downloads on my kindle, I'm wondering where I'd ever find the time. Maybe cutting down on Gransnet/Mumsnet browsing might be a good start. blush

Zennomore Sat 09-Oct-21 13:48:57

rafichagran

Urm Lucca do not laugh at people,it maybe just something the OP typed quickly and did not check.

Well said rafichagran

Lucca Sat 09-Oct-21 22:16:59

Zennomore

rafichagran

Well said rafichagran

It was not an attack, it just sounded funny.

Urmstongran Sat 09-Oct-21 22:34:47

Oh heck.

Callistemon Sat 09-Oct-21 22:51:00

If you do become a reviewer, Jazzhands, be sure not to put spoilers in the reviews.
You can review a book without revealing the content.

I read a review of the book I'm reading at present and found out in the second sentence that the main character dies - which upset the reviewer immensely - but her review upset me even more!
sad

(Actually, I'm not that upset as I don't like him much)

Elegran Tue 12-Oct-21 09:54:17

"‘How Do I Be a book reviewer’ is a perfectly good grammatical construction, and you understood what it meant. If it had been "How do I be better at this than you are?" or "How do I be a success?" would you be so condescendingly amused?

Lucca Tue 12-Oct-21 10:13:14

Oh for heavens sake. It just sounded funny …end of. Nothing condescending about it.
OP if you’re still around please don’t be offended.

Lucca Tue 12-Oct-21 10:15:15

Oh for heavens sake. It just sounded funny …end of. Nothing condescending about it.

Elegran Tue 12-Oct-21 11:39:45

I've read some things on GN that sounded just as funny as that or more so, but held back on the witty comments that came into my mind. If someone posts something in all seriousness, it is bad manners to laugh unless you know them very well - it so easily sounds like a jeer.

Lucca Tue 12-Oct-21 12:30:47

Lucca

I’ll just say this again

sodapop Tue 12-Oct-21 15:58:10

You will probably have time now Maggiemaybe as it's so difficult to access GN at the moment.
I agree about the books a lot of them are truly dreadful

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Oct-21 15:24:36

I know what you mean, sodapop. smile

Keeleklogger Sun 17-Oct-21 20:17:32

I joined NetGalley some years ago, it’s the best thing I have ever done. Free books given to you months in advance of the official publication.

You don’t get all the books you ask for, some publishers are more picky.

One thing you must do is read the books you are sent and publish the review on NetGalley, if you don’t and your reviews drop below 80% they will stop sending books to you.

I also publish my reviews on Goodreads, you can find my reviews here www.goodreads.com/keeleklogger